Average acceleration and velocity problem

In summary: Keep up the good work!In summary, the conversation is about finding the average acceleration of an object over a given time interval using a given function for its coordinates. The formula for average acceleration is mentioned and the person has attempted to solve the problem but is struggling with understanding how to use the given function. Through a series of questions and answers, it is determined that to find the average acceleration, the person needs to find the derivative of the function and evaluate it at the given times. Using this method, the person is able to arrive at the correct answer of -10m/s^2.
newton9point8

Homework Statement

Okay here's the problem, The coordinate of an object is given as a function of time by x = 4t^2 - 3t^3, where v is in m/s and t is in seconds. Its average acceleration over the interval form t = 0 to t = 2

I wast told the answer is -10m/s^2 but i can't figure out how to get the same anwer.

Homework Equations

Aavg = V2-V1/time

The Attempt at a Solution

ok I've already tryed to plug in 4*2^2 - 3*2^3 and 4*0^2 - 3*0^3 but it doesn't work...

i know if i can get the right values for the change of velocity over 2seconds (my time) i can get the right answer but i can't figure out how to obtain
the change of velocity with the given function :confused:

Physics news on Phys.org
Newton9point8 said:

Homework Statement

Okay here's the problem, The coordinate of an object is given as a function of time by x = 4t^2 - 3t^3, where v is in m/s and t is in seconds. Its average acceleration over the interval form t = 0 to t = 2

I wast told the answer is -10m/s^2 but i can't figure out how to get the same anwer.

Homework Equations

Aavg = V2-V1/time

The Attempt at a Solution

ok I've already tryed to plug in 4*2^2 - 3*2^3 and 4*0^2 - 3*0^3 but it doesn't work...

i know if i can get the right values for the change of velocity over 2seconds (my time) i can get the right answer but i can't figure out how to obtain
the change of velocity with the given function :confused:
Welcome to the forum.
First, let's start with a simpler question. Given x(t), do you know how to calculate th evelocity at a given time? (I am talking about the instantaneous velocity, not the average velocity). You need to know that because the first thing you need to do is to calculate the velocity at t=0 and then at t=2 seconds.

the instantaneus velocitiy formula is V= dx/dt but I still need to know what to do with the given function... i don't know how to use the given funtion to get the answer. If I was given the v1 and v2 in m/s i would just take the difference of v1 and v2 divide it by the time but that functions is what is holding me back. :(

Newton9point8 said:
the instantaneus velocitiy formula is V= dx/dt but I still need to know what to do with the given function... i don't know how to use the given funtion to get the answer. If I was given the v1 and v2 in m/s i would just take the difference of v1 and v2 divide it by the time but that functions is what is holding me back. :(

You just provided the answer yourself! To find the instantaneous velocity at a certain time, you need to calculate the derivative of th efunction x(t) and then evaluate it at that time. So to find v1 (= velocity at t=0). find dx/dt and then set t=0. To find v2, plug t=2 in the derivative dx/dt.

Got it!
so i got the derivative v=8t-9t^2 and then i got -20 after i pluged in my v1 and v2 then divided it by two and that gave me -10m/s^2! (right answer)

Thanks for your help! :biggrin:

Newton9point8 said:
Got it!
so i got the derivative v=8t-9t^2 and then i got -20 after i pluged in my v1 and v2 then divided it by two and that gave me -10m/s^2! (right answer)

Thanks for your help! :biggrin:

That's completely right. Good job.

Glad I could help.

Related to Average acceleration and velocity problem

1. What is average acceleration?

Average acceleration is the rate of change of velocity over a period of time. It can be calculated by dividing the change in velocity by the change in time.

2. How is average acceleration different from instantaneous acceleration?

Average acceleration is calculated over a period of time, while instantaneous acceleration is the acceleration at a specific moment in time. Average acceleration takes into account the overall change in velocity, while instantaneous acceleration only reflects the acceleration at a specific point.

3. How do you calculate average velocity?

Average velocity is the displacement divided by the change in time. It is calculated by dividing the distance traveled by the time it took to travel that distance.

4. What is the relationship between velocity and acceleration?

Velocity and acceleration are closely related. Acceleration is the rate of change of velocity, meaning that changes in velocity result in acceleration. If the velocity is constant, there is no acceleration.

5. How can average acceleration and velocity be used in real-world applications?

Average acceleration and velocity are important concepts in physics and have many real-world applications. They can be used in the design of vehicles, such as cars and airplanes, to ensure safe and efficient movement. They are also used in sports, such as track and field, to analyze athletes' performance. Additionally, average acceleration and velocity are used in the study of motion and can help predict the future position and movement of objects.