Average Acceleration Units Problem

In summary, the average acceleration of an electric train that initially moves at 25km/h and accelerates to 35km/h in 20 seconds is 0.56 m/s^2. To calculate this, the velocities were converted from km/h to m/s by using unit analysis and then plugged into the formula for average acceleration.
nivekov123
1. An electric train initially moving at 25km/h accelerates to 35km/h in 20s. Find its average acceleration in m/s^2.
G: v1 = 25km/h
v2 = 35km/h
Delta t = 20s
R: Aav

2. Aav=(v2-v1)/delta t

3. = (35km/h-25km/h)-20s
The problem is that the velocities are in km per hour and the change in time is seconds. Do I just continue on with the question as is? Or if I had to convert the velocities to m/s how would i do so to divide with the 20s so that i may end up with a = m/s^2 ?

Physics news on Phys.org
You would need to change the km/h to m/s and to do that you need to do unit analyses.
u put them in fraction form first so

km 1000m...h ...1000m
__x______x______=_______
h ...km ...3600s ...3600sin 1 km there is 1000m so you divide km by km to cancel it out and multiply the original km by 1000m
in 1 h there is 3600s (60x60) so you divide by h to cancel h out and multiply it by 3600s

then divide your m by 3600s and you have your m/s

after you've done that just follow the formula for average acceleration. (Aave=(v^2-v^1)/Delta t)Example:

v=10 km/h
t=5.0s

10 km/h / km x 1000m / h x 3600s= 10000m/3600s = 2.77777...m/s

a= 2.777..m/s / 5.0s
a= 0.555...m/s^2
a= 0.56 m/s^2 (significant digits) <---Final Answer

Last edited:

FAQ: Average Acceleration Units Problem

1. What is average acceleration and how is it calculated?

Average acceleration is the rate at which an object's velocity changes over a certain period of time. It is calculated by dividing the change in velocity by the change in time.

2. What are the units of measurement for average acceleration?

The units of measurement for average acceleration are typically meters per second squared (m/s^2) or feet per second squared (ft/s^2).

3. How do you solve a problem involving average acceleration units?

To solve a problem involving average acceleration units, you will need to know the initial velocity, final velocity, and time interval. Then, use the formula a = (vf - vi)/t, where a is the average acceleration, vf is the final velocity, vi is the initial velocity, and t is the time interval.

4. Can average acceleration be negative?

Yes, average acceleration can be negative. This indicates that the object is decelerating or slowing down in the given time interval.

5. How is average acceleration different from instantaneous acceleration?

Average acceleration is the overall change in velocity over a period of time, while instantaneous acceleration is the rate of change in velocity at a specific moment in time. Average acceleration is calculated using the initial and final velocities, while instantaneous acceleration is calculated using the derivative of an object's position with respect to time.