Basic feasible solution definition and example

• MHB
  • Thread starter evinda
  • Start date
In summary, a basic feasible solution is a feasible solution to a linear programming problem where the non-zero coordinates correspond to linearly independent columns of the matrix A. It is possible for a basic feasible solution to have less than m non-zero coordinates, as long as the remaining coordinates are set to 0. The points where the lines representing the constraints intersect correspond to the possible basic feasible solutions, with the corner points of the feasible region being the actual basic feasible solutions.
evinda
Gold Member
MHB
Hello! (Wave)

Basic feasible solution

$$\max (c_1 x_1+ \dots + c_n x_n) \\ Ax=b, x=(x_1, \dots , x_n) , b=(b_1, \dots, b_m) \\ x_i \geq 0, i=1, \dots, n , b_j \geq 0, j=1,\dots, m \\ \\ A=\begin{pmatrix}
a_{11} & a_{12} & \dots & a_{1n} \\
a_{21} & a_{22} & \dots & a_{2n} \\
\dots & & & & \\
\dots & & & & \\
a_{m1} & a_{m2} &\dots &a_{mn}
\end{pmatrix} \\ \\ P_1=\begin{bmatrix}
a_{11}\\
\dots\\
\dots\\
a_{m1}\\

\end{bmatrix}, \dots, P_n=\begin{bmatrix}
a_{1n}\\
\dots\\
\dots\\
a_{mn}\\

\end{bmatrix}$$

Then the equation $Ax=b$ can be equivalently written as $P_1 x_1+ \dots+ P_n x_n= \overline{b}, \overline{b}=\begin{bmatrix}
b_1\\
\dots\\
\dots\\
b_m\\
\end{bmatrix}$(at most $m$ lineraly independent columns)Definition:

If $x \in F \subset \mathbb{R}^n, x=(x_1, \dots, x_n)$ and the non-zero coordinates of $x$ correspond to linearly independent columns of the matrix $A$ then $x$ is called basic feasible solution.
For example if $x=(x_1, x_2, \dots, x_{m-1},0,0,0, \dots, 0) \in F$ and the columns that correspond to the non-zero coordinates, i.e. $P_1, \dots, P_{n-1}$ are linearly independent then $x$ is a basic feasible solution.Could you explain me the definition of the basic feasible solution and also the example? (Thinking)

Physics news on Phys.org
I think that I understood the definition.
Then there is the following remark:

If $r(A)=m<n$, if $x$ is a basic feasible solution then $x$ has at most $m$ non-zero coordinates.

Does this hold because if $x$ has for example $m+1$ non-zero coordinates then $P_{m+1}$ will be linearly dependent with $P_i$ for some $i=1, \dots, m$ ?
Why is it possible that $x$ has less than $m$ non-zero coordinates? (Thinking)

evinda said:
Could you explain me the definition of the basic feasible solution and also the example? (Thinking)

evinda said:
I think that I understood the definition.
Then there is the following remark:

If $r(A)=m<n$, if $x$ is a basic feasible solution then $x$ has at most $m$ non-zero coordinates.

Does this hold because if $x$ has for example $m+1$ non-zero coordinates then $P_{m+1}$ will be linearly dependent with $P_i$ for some $i=1, \dots, m$ ?
Why is it possible that $x$ has less than $m$ non-zero coordinates? (Thinking)

Hi evinda! (Smile)

Suppose we look at the following linear programming problem:
$$\begin{array}{ll}x &\le 2 \\ 2x+3y&\le 6\end{array}$$
[desmos="-1,4,-1,3"]0\le x\le \left\{0\le y\le \frac{2}{3}:2,\frac{2}{3}\le y\le 2:3-\frac{3}{2}y\right\};(0,0),(1,0),(2,0),(2,\frac{2}{3}),(1,1);[/desmos]

We can bring it in canonical form as:
$$\begin{array}{rrrrrrrrr}
x &&&+&c &&&=& 2 \\ 2x&+&3y&&&+&d&=&6
\end{array}$$

I have marked the points $(0,0),(1,0),(2,0),(2,\frac{2}{3}),(1,1)$.
Can you tell if they are basic feasible solutions? (Wondering)

I like Serena said:
Hi evinda! (Smile)

Suppose we look at the following linear programming problem:
$$\begin{array}{ll}x &\le 2 \\ 2x+3y&\le 6\end{array}$$We can bring it in canonical form as:
$$\begin{array}{rrrrrrrrr}
x &&&+&c &&&=& 2 \\ 2x&+&3y&&&+&d&=&6
\end{array}$$

I have marked the points $(0,0),(1,0),(2,0),(2,\frac{2}{3}),(1,1)$.
Can you tell if they are basic feasible solutions? (Wondering)

So if we are given these points do we look at the matrix $A$ of the linear programming problem when it is not in its canonical form? (Thinking)

If we have this linear programming problem, we have: $A=\begin{bmatrix}
1 & 0 & 1 & 0\\
2 & 3 & 0 & 1
\end{bmatrix}$ and then $r(A)=2<4$.

$P_1=\begin{bmatrix}
1\\
\end{bmatrix}, P_2=\begin{bmatrix}
0\\
\end{bmatrix}, P_3=\begin{bmatrix}
1\\
\end{bmatrix}, P_4=\begin{bmatrix}
0\\
\end{bmatrix}$

and the problem can be written equivalently as $P_1 x+ P_2 y+ P_3 c+ P_4 d= \begin{bmatrix}
2\\
\end{bmatrix}$.

$x \leq 2 \\ y \leq 2 \\ c \leq 2 \\ d \leq 6$
so the set of feasible solutions is bounded.

Then we look at the $6$ possible 2-linaerly independent columns.

• $P_1, P_2$ are linearly independent:

$P_1 x+P_2 y= \begin{bmatrix}
    2\\
    \end{bmatrix} \Rightarrow x=2, y=\frac{2}{3}$
  • $P_1, P_3$ are linearly independent:

$P_1 x+P_3 c= \begin{bmatrix}
    2\\
    \end{bmatrix} \Rightarrow x=3, c=-1$ -> we reject it.
  • $P_1, P_4$ are linearly independent:

$P_1 x+P_4 d= \begin{bmatrix}
    2\\
    \end{bmatrix} \Rightarrow x=2, d=2$
  • $P_3, P_4$ are linearly independent:

$P_3 x+P_4 d= \begin{bmatrix}
    2\\
    \end{bmatrix} \Rightarrow c=2, d=6$
  • $P_2, P_3$ are linearly independent:

$P_2 y+P_3 c= \begin{bmatrix}
    2\\
    \end{bmatrix} \Rightarrow c=2, y=2$
  • $P_2, P_4$ are not linearly independent.

Is it right so far? Do we set in each of the above cases the other variables that are not used equal to $0$ ? (Thinking)

evinda said:
So if we are given these points do we look at the matrix $A$ of the linear programming problem when it is not in its canonical form? (Thinking)

What do you mean? :confused:

Is it right so far? Do we set in each of the above cases the other variables that are not used equal to $0$ ? (Thinking)

Yes and yes. (Nod)

Note that we have 4 lines: $x=0, y=0, x=2, 2x+3y=6$.
You have found the intersections of each pair of lines, each of which corresponds to a possible basic feasible solution.

However, $x=0$ and $x=2$ do not intersect, which corresponds to the fact that the corresponding $P_i$ are linearly dependent (the lines are parallel).
And $y=0$ and $2x+3y=6$ do intersect, but their intersection $(3,0)$ is outside of the feasible region.

So the basic feasible solutions are exactly the corner points of the feasible region. (Mmm)

Related to Basic feasible solution definition and example

What is a basic feasible solution?

A basic feasible solution is a set of values for the decision variables in a linear programming problem that satisfies all of the constraints and results in a non-negative objective function value. It is a feasible solution that also satisfies the requirement that the number of non-zero decision variables is equal to the number of constraints.

How is a basic feasible solution determined?

A basic feasible solution is determined by identifying the basic variables, which are the decision variables that are non-zero in the solution. These variables are then used to solve the system of equations formed by the constraints to find the corresponding values for the basic variables and the remaining decision variables.

Can a linear programming problem have multiple basic feasible solutions?

Yes, a linear programming problem can have multiple basic feasible solutions. This occurs when there are multiple ways to satisfy the constraints and achieve the optimal objective function value. In this case, any of the basic feasible solutions can be considered as a valid solution.

What is the significance of a basic feasible solution in linear programming?

The concept of a basic feasible solution is important in linear programming because it allows for a systematic way of finding feasible solutions and determining the optimal solution. It also helps to identify the binding constraints, which are the constraints that are satisfied with equality in the basic feasible solution.

Can a basic feasible solution be optimal?

Yes, a basic feasible solution can be optimal. In fact, if a linear programming problem has a finite optimal solution, it will always be a basic feasible solution. This is because the optimal solution must satisfy all of the constraints, and the basic feasible solution is the only feasible solution that also satisfies the basic variable requirement.