Basic Selection Rule for Angular Momentum

In summary, the conversation discusses the confusion about QM selection rules, specifically in regards to the angular momentum of photons and how it is affected by transitions in atoms. The person asks if a transition from spin up to spin down is an appropriate way to account for the loss of 1 unit of angular momentum, and the conversation delves into the concept of re-orientation and the importance of the change in the electron's spin orientation in determining the total angular momentum. The conversation concludes by discussing a potential test question and the role of the electron's spin in accounting for the lost momentum.
teroenza

Homework Statement

I am getting confused by the QM selection rules. Photons have an angular momentum of 1. So when a transition of some sort occurs and a photon is emitted, the atom must lose 1 unit of angular momentum.

My question is, is a electron transitioning from spin up to spin down (m_s from +1/2 ---> -1/2) an appropriate way to "get rid" of the 1 unit of angular momentum? It does not make sense to me that it would because that would just be a re-orientation of the z component rather than a change in the vector itself.

This is the table I am trying to understand (for the magnetic and electric dipoles).
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Selection_rule#Summary_table

Thank you

Physics news on Phys.org
teroenza said:
My question is, is a electron transitioning from spin up to spin down (m_s from +1/2 ---> -1/2) an appropriate way to "get rid" of the 1 unit of angular momentum? It does not make sense to me that it would because that would just be a re-orientation of the z component rather than a change in the vector itself.

But you can't just "re-orient" the electron, in the end state you have two particles. Suppose initially the electron has spin 1/2. Then the end state has spin 1 - 1/2 = 1/2, where 1 comes from the photon. Now, if you flip the z-axis, the initial state has spin -1/2, and end state has spin -1 + 1/2 = -1/2.

By reorientation I mean a change from spin up (m_s =+1/2) to spin down (m_S=-1/2). I think my question ultimately is : If the orbital angular momentum quantum number "l" does not change during the transition, is the change in spin orientation (because that's what I thought m_s was, just the z component) enough to account for the lost unit of momentum from the electron. The [itex]\Delta[/itex] S=0 makes sense because you can't change the magnitude of the electron's spin, just it's z component (orientation).

Now, looking at my modern physics textbook I think I see why I was wrong. The magnitude of L and S stay the same, but the change in m_s changes the magnitude of J because J=L+S, added as vectors. That change in J, accounts for the photon's 1 unit of momentum.

I think a test question I should ask is: Is a transition from 2P_3/2---> 2P_1/2 an allowed transition? The one unit of angular momentum for the photon coming from the electron's spin change.

Related to Basic Selection Rule for Angular Momentum

1. What is the basic selection rule for angular momentum?

The basic selection rule for angular momentum is that the total angular momentum of a system must remain constant. This means that any change in the angular momentum of one part of the system must be balanced by an equal and opposite change in the angular momentum of another part of the system.

2. How does the basic selection rule for angular momentum apply to atomic and molecular systems?

In atomic and molecular systems, the basic selection rule for angular momentum states that the total angular momentum of the system must remain constant during a transition from one energy state to another. This means that the angular momentum of any emitted or absorbed photons must match the change in angular momentum of the system.

3. What are the implications of violating the basic selection rule for angular momentum?

If the basic selection rule for angular momentum is violated, it would mean that the system is not conserving angular momentum. This would indicate that there is an external force acting on the system or that the system is not fully understood.

4. How does the basic selection rule for angular momentum relate to the conservation of energy?

The basic selection rule for angular momentum is closely related to the conservation of energy. This rule ensures that the energy levels of a system are conserved during a transition, and any change in the energy state must be accompanied by a corresponding change in the angular momentum of the system.

5. Can the basic selection rule for angular momentum be applied to all physical systems?

Yes, the basic selection rule for angular momentum can be applied to all physical systems, as long as they are well-defined and isolated. This rule is a fundamental concept in physics and plays a crucial role in understanding the behavior of various systems, from subatomic particles to galaxies.