Basic symbology for involving a series but without summation necessarily

In summary, the conversation is about finding the symbol for a vector of observations that represents an inequality between means for factors at a single effect and for all factors at all effects. The person is unsure if they should use Pi and is looking for clarification. The other person offers an example using LaTeX and asks for further explanation on what is needed.
GP72
Hi. I'm sorry to bother you, but I was trying to find the symbol used for a vector of observations that doesn't implicitly infre multiplication or summation. I'm trying to express an inequality at the simple and general levels so that

\muAa \ne \muAA, \muaa

The idea is that this inequality should apply to means for factors (genotypes) at a single effect (a gene in this case), and more generally to the system of all means for all factors at all effects. Is that Pi that I should be using? I can't remember and can't find it.

Mathematics news on Phys.org
I don't quite understand you. Are you simply trying to say that one vector of observations does not equal another?
In that case, it would be $$(\mu_{Aa_1},\mu_{Aa_2},\mu_{Aa_3}...) \neq (\mu_{AA_1}...) \neq ...$$
Can you elaborate a little more on what you need?
Also, to type $\LaTeX$, use \$ and \$$ symbols or \(\displaystyle [\MATH] tags.\)

FAQ: Basic symbology for involving a series but without summation necessarily

1. What is basic symbology for involving a series without summation?

The basic symbology for involving a series without summation is often denoted as Σ with an index below it indicating the starting value and an upper limit above it indicating the ending value of the series. However, without the summation symbol, the series can be expressed as a list of terms separated by commas, such as a1, a2, a3, ..., an.

2. How is a series expressed without summation in mathematical equations?

In mathematical equations, a series without summation can be expressed by writing out the terms of the series separated by a plus sign, such as a1 + a2 + a3 + ... + an. It can also be written in standard form as ∑an where a represents the general term and n represents the number of terms in the series.

3. What is the purpose of using basic symbology for a series without summation?

The purpose of using basic symbology for a series without summation is to represent a sequence of numbers or values in a concise and organized manner. It allows for mathematical operations to be performed on the series, such as finding the sum or average, without having to write out each term individually.

4. How is a series without summation used in statistics?

In statistics, a series without summation is used to represent a set of data or observations. It can be used to calculate measures of central tendency, such as the mean or median, by adding up all the values in the series and dividing by the number of terms. It can also be used to plot a graph or chart to visually represent the data.

5. Can a series without summation have an infinite number of terms?

Yes, a series without summation can have an infinite number of terms. This is known as an infinite series, and it is often represented by the symbol or ... to indicate that the series continues indefinitely. Infinite series can be convergent, meaning that the sum of all the terms in the series is a finite number, or divergent, meaning that the sum of the terms is infinite or undefined.