Becoming an Engineer: Considerations and Personal Experiences

• Other
  • Thread starter russ_watters
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Engineer
In summary: However, if you are genuinely interested in engineering, you should become an engineer regardless of what branch you study.End question: Should I become an engineer?Answer: If you see beauty and elegance in physics and calculus, then maybe you are on the right track; but, if it bores you to learn about how things work, how they are built, and how to make them better, then you probably do not want to become an engineer.

Thank you for the replies.

I guess I shouldn't be too worried till I reach the second year and see what it is like.

I just fear of falling behind students from other universities over a period of 4 years.

Physics news on Phys.org

Wisey said:
I just fear of falling behind students from other universities over a period of 4 years.
We talked about this on a different thread, but basically if your school's accredited it's more or less covering the same material as every other accredited school. .

So... I'm a sophomore in college right now, just completed my third semester. Up to this point I've been half a physics major and half a computer engineering major due to my indecision. My dilemma comes from the fact that while I love math and physics and could see myself working away in a physics lab for the rest of my life, I'm not sure if I'd really enjoy the lifestyle given by academia. But at the same time, I'm not sure if I'd enjoy the environment of a computer engineering workplace. I'm the kind of guy who sometimes does vector calculus at home just for fun; there are all kinds of people who do the same in my physics classes, but not so many at all in my engineering classes. I love my physics and computer science classes, my intro circuits class was so so. Are there any computer engineers who can elucidate the kind of work that they do? Would I be happy as a theory loving type of person?

seanbow said:
Are there any computer engineers who can elucidate the kind of work that they do? Would I be happy as a theory loving type of person?
I'm a senior in compE, but the professor for my integrated circuits class was working as a compE. The work is all circuit design, either on a transistor level or a gate level. There's also lots of programming work out there, but the work is all applied. I've had vector calculus show up in a handful of courses, nothing in the upper levels. Even the theory stuff is mostly programming hardware to do very shiny things. There's some semi-conductor research, but you can get into it with a physics major too.

my intro circuits class was so so
I wasn't crazy about my intro circuits course, so everything else was like pulling teeth. Almost all the other courses build on intro circuits-it's more of that but with a focus on digital signals/digital electronics.

I think you'll have fun as a CS major. You like the programming classes, and there's a ton of crazy math in the theoretical comp-sci courses, especially the graphics courses. Talk to your compE advisor and take a look at the upper level EE courses and see if they're your speed.

Alright I've read a few posts in this thread and I want I'd like to become an engineer but I've discovered that in some maths I am really good, in some I just can't grasp it and downright fail. I took data management in school (currently in grade 12) and I can't seem to get through three particular units: probablity, picking, choosing. Those baffle me and I don't think in the way that other people do. Other subjects such as physics (mind you it was grade 11 physics) I find easy whereas other people spend hours memorizing formulas and failing, I just do it without a second thought. I have not touched calculus, vectors, functions or grade 12 Physics but I would like to although I'm afraid of failing them in which case I'm screwed. So I'm split on the my career path. On the other hand I'm really good with computers and the like so I applied to universities for computer engineering and applications are over. I'm debating whether to take functions and calculuas & vectors (<- one course) and stay an extra year in high school and apply again.

I don't know what to do, I think the best bet would be to go into comptuers, something that I am already very familiar with and love. Currently I'm VERY interested in physics. I'm reading the book "biocentrism" and learning more about QM. I feel that I wouldn't benefit as much learning this in my spare time as a hobby than my buddy who is going strictly into physics (engineering). I don't know :(

I also have a terrible memory, I'd have to read the same page of a book 4/5 times to remember it. I'd read about 30 pages of a book, look up and have absolutely not the slightest clue what I just read.

Last edited:

russ_watters said:
Eek, yeah, they all have a significant amount. Its like asking who has more money, Bill Gates or Warren Buffet - Gates has twice as much as Buffet, but Buffet still has thousands of times more than you.

Aerospace and Electrical probably have the most, but Mechanical and Materials still have years more than English. For a non-engineer, the difference between EE and Mech-E would seem insignificant.

So are you saying Mechanical and materials have the least? And what areas of math do you actually study in mechanical engineering? Would it be the easiest compared to other engineering courses?

TyErd said:
So are you saying Mechanical and materials have the least? And what areas of math do you actually study in mechanical engineering? Would it be the easiest compared to other engineering courses?
Depends on the school. At mine, every engineer takes about 5 courses from the math department as a requirement, and then the major courses teach tons of math. EE's end up with loads of functional analysis, but ME's do tons of differential equations. They're equally hard in different ways.

On the other hand I'm really good with computers and the like so I applied to universities for computer engineering and applications are over. I'm debating whether to take functions and calculuas & vectors (<- one course) and stay an extra year in high school and apply again.
What country are you in? Generally I think staying an extra year in high school is a bad idea 'cause you should be able/are required to take the math in college (where it's usually 3 or 4 courses), but your country could do it differently.

On the other hand I'm really good with computers and the like so I applied to universities for computer engineering
I don't think that's the greatest idea 'cause compE is a totally different playing field, but you'll sort that out as you go along, or you'll switch into a physics major (if you can.) Learn whatever you want in your free time, as you still have that luxury.

I took data management in school (currently in grade 12) and I can't seem to get through three particular units: probablity, picking, choosing.
Find other resources for the material. It could just be that the way the material is being presented to you doesn't work for you.

Last edited:

Story645, I live in Australia and I am about to begin my final year of high school. The the thing is I've heard there is a significant amount of students that drop out because of the amount of math. I have a limited interest in Math. I'm not the best at math but I can say I am above average. I am a bit lazy and struggle to work long hours. I've always had the interest in building things and all but I don't want to do hours of maths to make things. Is engineering for me or should I look elsewhere , if so what courses would you recommend?

TyErd said:
Is engineering for me or should I look elsewhere , if so what courses would you recommend?

Civil engineering or architecture may be your speed. Both require math (civil's got the same math load as engineering in my school, architecture much less), but aren't quite as math crazy later on. Most school's publish their curricula online, so you can just look at the schools you're planning to apply to and see what the math load is like.
I'm not a math person either, (my scores in English/humanities courses have almost always been stronger) but I'm wrapping up a degree in Computer Engineering. The math sort of just floats away at some point, as you get used to it. Take some calculus and see if you really hate it, though I haven't actually had any calculus in years. A lot of the upper level stuff is algebra/formula stuff.

honestly, How hard is the math for mechanical engineering? what areas of math did you study? I've only done basic calculus at my school, differentiating, anti differentiating, limits and I did really well at them. Does it get a lot harder than that? I want to have some free time as well while I go to uni and don't just want to be studying all day long.

TyErd said:
honestly, How hard is the math for mechanical engineering? what areas of math did you study?
Since I'm in computer engineering, I've taken a lot of the math needed for signal processing (so fourier, laplace, and Z transforms), a decent amount of statistics/probability/combinatorics and some vector calculus. My school makes all the engineers take 3 semesters of calculus, differential equations, and vector calculus. Like I mentioned in my previous post, my friends in mechanical engineering do a lot of differential equations because almost everything they study reduces down to diff EQ's. I don't think differential equations (it's kind of like algebra with integrals and derivatives thrown in) are all that difficult, but it depends on the person and it's a bit of a practice makes perfect type of deal.

The the thing is I've heard there is a significant amount of students that drop out because of the amount of math.
That's true almost everywhere. Engineering at my school has one of the highest freshman enrollment rates and one of the lowest graduation rates. A lot of the people who drop out were totally unprepared for the major in the first place and couldn't hack calculus. Most of the people I know who drop after the calculus sequence are done in by the crazy weed course that seems to exist just to get engineers used to getting Cs or teaching themselves upper level coursework to get As.

Nature of Work: Creativity, Design, and Invention in Engineering and the Benefit to Society

I am a sophomore undergraduate and the main reason I chose engineering as my major is because I've always wanted to use my creativity to design, make, invent, build, or what have you. I have also excelled in mathematics as I've grown up.

Now I've got to choose a specialty in engineering and I need some guidance. Everyday for the past two years, I've been reading university websites - mostly the course descriptions, research areas, and degrees offered. This has been my only source of information as to what the fields are like. Oh, that and the Bureau of Labor Statistics website. I've got a few questions that I haven't been able to find the answers to on my own.

1) Do other fields of study, besides engineering, prepare the student for being a creator, builder, or inventor? Could someone in one of the following fields tell me more about the nature of work as it applies to my interests? For example, biotechnology is very new and I see the opportunity to get into it and really come up with something new, exciting, and important. There is a Bachelor of Science in Biotechnology at one of the schools I am looking at. Also, there is my interest in computer science and mathematics. Computer scientists must be creative, right? Also, they're creating something in the end. How do I make sure I do computer science in the field of science and engineering (more specifically, health, energy, or environment) and not something in the field of business?

2) There is mechanical engineering, which, I feel like my strengths in visualizing (CAD, geometry) and grasping how things work would mesh well with that field. However, how do I make sure I get into the exciting and worthwhile areas? I don't find designing doorknobs and cabinet hinges worth the effort I'd put in as an undergraduate. I am scared I'd get stuck doing that. I guess this question applies to all fields of engineering, with mechanical engineering just being an example.

In a nutshell, what path of study is great for becoming an inventor?

JYouker said:
1) Do other fields of study, besides engineering, prepare the student for being a creator, builder, or inventor?
Architecture.

Computer scientists must be creative, right?
No, but it's a bonus. You can get out of a comp sci program just fine if you know which solution to use for which problem.

How do I make sure I do computer science in the field of science and engineering (more specifically, health, energy, or environment) and not something in the field of business?
You apply for jobs in those sectors, maybe pad your resume with related coursework. If you want to do really shiny stuff, you get a phd in the specific field and take some comp coursework/learn to code. Nobody sticks a gun to your head and says you have to code business apps.

However, how do I make sure I get into the exciting and worthwhile areas?
Same as above, you apply for those jobs. The entry level stuff probably will be boring anyways-it almost always is 'cause you're probably still not good enough to do something really shiny well-but stick it through and eventually you'll have enough experience that you may be able to get hired for the shinier jobs. A PhD may also help get you into research jobs. Just remember that knowing how to design a good doorknob (that thing that most of the planet uses in one form or another) is just as important, in its own way, as coming up with the latest new gizmo.

Last edited:

Thanks for your insight, Story645. I am now more motivated to pursue graduate degrees if it helps me get to where I want to go. Next, I am going to schedule a meeting with a professor or two in the comp. sci department at my school to discuss the overlapping of comp. sci and engineering.

Hey, I'm new to the forum. I am considering going to school to become a mining engineer. Any insights?

This is the best thread i have ever read!

Now on to my question. I am a grade 12 student entering Univeristy of Waterloo (Canada-Eh!). I am confused with what engineering to do. I Love Math! I Love Physics! I am unsure about Chemistry and Hate Bio. All engineering disciplines have the same class for first year but i am stuck on what engineering to choose for second year.

I have narrowed it down to Mechanical engineering but am confused. Mechanical engineering is perfect, love the math (calculus 98%), love the physics (inertia,momentum 96%) and have partaken leadership roles in solar car building and numerous robotics competitions (building sumobot right now). However, through the people i have worked with, I have realized that i am not very dextrous and have limited creativity. Everyone in my family (except me) has a hard time change even a bulb in a lamp (so no genetics what so ever). Our robotics club is working on its 6th robot and I feel like I have learned a lot but still seem "mechanically stupid" in using machines like the lathe, mill and CNC.

Is it dexterity "correctable" with experience? Do i seem "stupid" dexterously only because i am with smart people? I failed art and was told by my teacher that artistic skills can be learned; creativity not!

Thank you for reading this. Please repond

P.S- i am 16 (skipped 2 grades) but still play with Lego sometimes

Hey everyone...My question looks like a typical one on here but I'm really having a tough time deciding on what to do. I'm finishing up an A.S. degree in Renewable Energy Technology and am at a point where it's time to decide whether to finish my education off here, or continue on with a full engineering degree in Renewable Energy. From what I have gathered about it, its basically a hybrid of Mechanical and Electrical engineering, emphasis on power generation, mixed with a lot of science based stuff like Bio fuels, Geothermal technology, Fuel Cells for transportation etc. It's a Tech school, so more applied than theoretical from what I understand. What I am debating is, is the engineering degree worth it? Yes I like the technical aspects of how things work and I've actually enjoyed my EE courses so far and I've done well in Math and Physics up to this point. But is the time and money investment in the engineering degree worth it? I would appreciate any input! Thank you!

familysimpson said:
i am 16 (skipped 2 grades) but still play with Lego sometimes
I am well over twice your age and still love playing with Lego (mostly with my daughter these days). I would say that lego is a good way to build mechanical intuition.

Dexterity is also a skill that can be developed. Go do a physically intricate sport like a Martial Art (judo, kali, BJJ, etc.). It may be hard at first but hang in there. Just like Math, the rewards are worth the effort.

familysimpson said:
This is the best thread i have ever read!

Now on to my question. I am a grade 12 student entering Univeristy of Waterloo (Canada-Eh!). I am confused with what engineering to do. I Love Math! I Love Physics! I am unsure about Chemistry and Hate Bio. All engineering disciplines have the same class for first year but i am stuck on what engineering to choose for second year.

I have narrowed it down to Mechanical engineering but am confused. Mechanical engineering is perfect, love the math (calculus 98%), love the physics (inertia,momentum 96%) and have partaken leadership roles in solar car building and numerous robotics competitions (building sumobot right now). However, through the people i have worked with, I have realized that i am not very dextrous and have limited creativity. Everyone in my family (except me) has a hard time change even a bulb in a lamp (so no genetics what so ever). Our robotics club is working on its 6th robot and I feel like I have learned a lot but still seem "mechanically stupid" in using machines like the lathe, mill and CNC.

Is it dexterity "correctable" with experience? Do i seem "stupid" dexterously only because i am with smart people? I failed art and was told by my teacher that artistic skills can be learned; creativity not!

Thank you for reading this. Please repond

One thing about work in a team environment is that you get to learn from others who are more skilled than you. If you can, try as much as possible to be in an environment where people seem "smarter" than you. Its a really really good learning experience. You've got engineers with 5 yrs experience and they are still learning new things from co-workers. When you're in this sort of environment you should really not look and it and say "well everyone is smarter than I am, this is not for me!"

SO what if you suck at the mill or CNC? Some computer science students don't even know how to program when they enter their freshman year! In India lots of people don't even have computers. A lot of engineering and comp sci students there don't touch their first computer until they start college. And that too, its the school's computer! So you've got nothing to worry about. Take your first year common engineering courses and decide what engineering disciple is for you.

familysimpson said:
Our robotics club is working on its 6th robot and I feel like I have learned a lot but still seem "mechanically stupid" in using machines like the lathe, mill and CNC.
<snip>
So you go up to the guy who knows how to use the lathe and ask him to teach you and bug him 'til he does. I've worked on far too many robots while not knowing how to use the machines, so I don't see why it's an issue. Legos rock; I still use them and the robotics at my school club keeps 'em around for prototyping and new students. Dexterity is definitely something you can improve and it's easy to learn; just keep building things and have someone who's better at it than you look over your work and take their criticism constructively. When I started school, I had never soldered anything, so a friend sat me down and made me do it a zillion times and now I can make some awesomely clean solder joints. It's really just practice and experience.

But is the time and money investment in the engineering degree worth it?
Probably. In the short term, you're salary is much better and you're a more attractive hire. Do some job searches for the fields you want to go into and see what the requirements are and take it from there.

Thanks a lot for your suggestions:smile:. Let the incessant pratice begin! Hopefully, I will have something to show for it in the end.

Keep this thread running. I am sure many people will look into this for reference. A website just for this thread would be awesome!

Hi, I am a high school student in Canada. I applied to some top-tier US schools (Cornell eng. for example), but I think that in the worse case scenario I may go to Uoft or Queens.

Anyways I would like to ask about Engineering Physics? Where does it stand compared to other degrees? I am seriously considering it but I would like to have some insight from people who know it. Also how is it compared to majoring in physics? Is it basically a physics degree with extra engineering classes added?

thanx in advance...

Please forgive me about this being a long post but I am seriously at a lost as to what I should do and would appreciate any feedback you can provide. :cry:

I never had an interest in Legos and I have never taken apart an engine although I do find learning how engines work to be interesting.

In high school I was a 3.5GPA student and did fairly well considering I never applied myself to my studies. I didn't take AP classes but enjoyed Physics, Chemistry, Math, Psychology, and Art. My teachers always thought well of me because I always had an inquisitive mind, questioning everything. I always asked the "why?" question and never felt fully satisfied unless I knew the reason behind something. Yet, I was lazy and didn't know how to apply what I was learning. I felt high school was not challenging and looked forward to graduating so I could "get out".

Since high school I wanted to own my own business. I entered into a university not really knowing where it would lead me but I wanted to meet new people and be inspired. I enrolled in the Engineering (civil) program because I thought bridges were cool and it would be interesting to build buildings. For some reason, I got put into this weird program where there were only 10 students in my class, it was the same 10 students for ALL of my classes! They were val victorians and others who were driven, and I kept thinking to myself, "I came to meet new people and here I am with the same 10 people all day long, every day." I questioned myself continuously why I was in school. We had a discussion session once a week where we talked about quantum physics and I just kept thinking to myself, "How is this relevant to anything? How is this information useful?" I took Calculus I and struggled through it, eventually failing it with a D. I got A's in Chemistry and Biology but they were simply beginner level classes. That was all within my first 6 months as a freshman. I decided I needed time off.

I dabbled in art, music, and finally chose to stick with business. I graduated 6 years out of high school with a finance degree (emphasis in real estate) and some post graduate classes in urban planning. I graduated with a 3.7GPA.

After graduating, I traveled east Asia for four years teaching English, finally satisfying my desire to discover new places and experience new cultures.

I am now 28 and I am usually a very optimistic person but recently have been feeling at a lost. I would like to do work that improves people's lives and makes a contribution to society. I regret not sticking with Engineering back when I was a freshman but that is the past and I am now looking into the future.

I have been considering four options:
1) Getting an MBA
2) Getting a master's in urban planning
3) Getting a bachelor's in engineering
4) Not going back to school.

I know all four options are very different.
I helped build a house last year and I enjoyed watching the project come together. I did very well when I took the few graduate courses in urban planning. I know out of Physics, Chemistry, and Math, Math is my weakest point. I spend most of my hours thinking of business ideas above all else. When I see a product, I first think of where and how it was made, then the people involved in manufacturing it, marketing it, and how it got to be where it is.

People have written many times that one should do what one loves. I totally agree and as much as I like money, I do not want to work for money, I want to be passionate about what I do and stick with it. I can endure how work and long hours as long as I am doing what I enjoy.

Is Engineering for me? :confused:

On another side note:
Why are there so few Civil Engineers who post here?

sizzle said:
Is Engineering for me?
Do you like it enough to devote yourself to it? Engineering requires a measure of masochistic passion for the subject. By the time you get to the upper level courses, it'll still be the same 30 guys just 'cause programs usually aren't that big. I don't know, I think you'll have more fun with urban planning or maybe sustainability, but it's all down to you.

I spend most of my hours thinking of business ideas above all else. When I see a product, I first think of where and how it was made, then the people involved in manufacturing it, marketing it, and how it got to be where it is.
That's usually a masters in a business focused engineering program, not a bachelors engineering degree (where the business aspect only shows up a handful of times if at all.)

Hi I'd like some opinion on whether or not I should go into EE.

I've had a long tenuous path through University having decided to go back in earnest in 2008. I have my maths and basics physics done so I would have essentially two years of plowing through the entirety of the EE curriculum, including summer. My university is well known in its area but isn't close to being top in the state or even within its own Public University system. However, if the school is strong in anything it is engineering. I could be at the top public uni but it is just too far and I am already establish out here. Will this make much difference in the long run?

I should also note my school has a 5-yr bs/ms so I should be able to get a master by 3 years from now.

I started out in CS then transferred to Physics then Astronomy(at top public uni), before realizing I didn't want to move out there. I was thinking of going for Applied Math. Yet, I began to thing back as to how I had really excelled in CS and remember that the reason I left it is that I had become more interested in learning about the really low level way computers and electronics work as opposed to programming accounting applications or "Web 2.0 buzzword technology crap". Also, the work options in CS don't seem very appealing to me, software "engineering" sounds like it would be pretty dull. I became much more interested in RTOS stuff and embedded system but soon found that CS didn't offer much in this regard which began my long trip in the natural sciences.

For awhile I thought I'd like to be a professor in physics/astro but have come to the realization that I'm not really cut out for that path and that it is not likely to be a successful career move. I guess I had had some idea that professors have a pretty easy laid back life without the stresses of industry but I'm now realizing this is pretty wrong.

I worked in IT(tech support) for a bit and I think that really soured me on working in industry but I'd imagine the life and career of an EE is much more exciting and that you are much more valued in your organization than the "IT crowd." Also, the pay and the opportunities to work in different locations all over the world appeal to me.

Of course, ideally I'd like to sit around on some Mediterranean Island or something pondering the questions of the cosmos but I figure as a responsible adult living in the real world I'm doing both myself and society much better by becoming an EE. And that I can use my spare time to ponder the mysteries of the natural world, without centering my livelihood on it.

Sorry for such a long tale but what do you think am I perhaps cut out to do EE?

lubuntu said:
I became much more interested in RTOS stuff and embedded system but soon found that CS didn't offer much in this regard which began my long trip in the natural sciences
Computer Engineering! Seriously, that's what the major's for, and 'cause you've already taken CS courses so you may be able to get through the major faster.

EE isn't anywhere near as glamorous as you're hoping, but yeah it generally pays better. Take the intro circuits course and see if it's your speed and decide from there.

The down and dirty on me.
I really love math and physics but I have to work hard at them to get them right. I typically fall victim to dumb mistakes (signs, adding when should be multiplying). Recently I have seen my A in Calc 2 go to a B and I am terribly close to C. It's probably due to the fact that I am working full-time at a helicopter manufacturing plant to support myself. I have plans to quit and attend Embry-Riddle full time in the fall. But this business with Calc 2 has got me reeling. Do I need to realize that engineering is not for me considering my struggles with the lower lever math or should I plug through it and pursue my passion?

Honestly, your question is slightly rediculous as it can be rephrased in this way: Should I settle for something in which I have to put less effort? Of course not, if you like your area, but are struggling, then try harder, and put more work in.

Best

F

cutting edge technology in mechanical and civil engineering

I am a sophomore undergrad, soon to be choosing a specialty in engineering. I seem to like certain aspects of mechanical engineering and, also, civil engineering. However, my only wonder is if I can get into cutting edge and exciting work, in those fields. They are some of the oldest types of engineering, and since, I do not know much about engineering, it is hard to imagine how mechanical and civil engineers are on the cutting edge of technology... With Mechanical, I have read brief descriptions, online, saying that mechanical can be involved with energy, nanotechnology, and bioengineering, but, I don't know any more than that. Could someone care to elaborate on how mechanical is involved in those areas or send me a link to some more information, so that my interest can be ignited in mechanical, once again? All I see around me are mechanical systems that have been around since the industrial revolution. As for civil, I like to imagine what cities will be like, in the future, however, I am too uneducated to be able to recognize any major innovations in civil engineering, in the recent past, or in the future. I could speculate that materials science will play a role in furthering civil engineering's technology, but, I'd like to learn more about cutting edge technology with applications in civil engineering. Will civil engineering be an exciting field to enter? Any insight from experienced engineers, scientists, or relevant links, would be great. I hope someone can answer my inquiry, even in the slightest, because I am extremely curious. Thanks!

brusier said:
The down and dirty on me.
But this business with Calc 2 has got me reeling. Do I need to realize that engineering is not for me considering my struggles with the lower lever math or should I plug through it and pursue my passion?

I've talked with lots of classmates and the general agreement is that Calc II is a class that is very hard and gives many people trouble. However, keep at it, and it will become like all other math you have learned - you will know it like the back of your hand, in time. If you have to take it twice, don't be ashamed. Some of my professors admit to having to take classes over again, after failing. It happens.

I am Manan Shah
I am a Computer Engineer.
From my experience as an engineer, Not everyone can become an engineer.
An engineer has different view points and suggestions and solutions of problems than normal people.
They will handle the situation in smart way such that solution will come easily.

In each stage of life An engineer find its own way to live life in spite of so many difficulties.

I'm in 4th year elec eng and I;ve been mostly successful. I love it (mostly) but I got a C+ in cal2. I still can't integrate by parts without spending 40 minutes on it. When you start engineering, usually they try and teach you about differential equations right away. No joke, I got A+ in that course.

cal1 and cal2: getem done. In engineering, you try and solve problems that haven't already been solved by mathematicians and other assorted super-geniuses hundreds of years ago. The problems you solve now will give you the basis to attack those new truly engineering problems in the future, but if you're at a job and you need to integrate something, you'll have a computer.

Planning on going back to school to get a B.S.E.E. I hear everyone talking about the incredible and overwhelming workload associated with getting your engineering degree but am curious as to what specifically that means. I have a B.S. in Business and am familiar with college, but I also understand engineering is 100% and requires much more work. Is it the Calc and Physics classes that are incredibly time consuming or is it everything combined? What specifically is it that keeps you up all night and half the morning or once again is it just a combo of everything? Thanks...

kyleb40 said:
What specifically is it that keeps you up all night and half the morning or once again is it just a combo of everything? Thanks...
My EM homework or a group project or some crazy lab report or a paper for one of my core courses or research. It's definitely a combination of the work being difficult and time consuming and there being a lot of it, which adds up to not so many free hours.

story645 said:
group project or some crazy lab report

you hit the nail on the head, those are the two killers