Becoming an Engineer: Considerations and Personal Experiences

• Other
  • Thread starter russ_watters
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Engineer
In summary: However, if you are genuinely interested in engineering, you should become an engineer regardless of what branch you study.End question: Should I become an engineer?Answer: If you see beauty and elegance in physics and calculus, then maybe you are on the right track; but, if it bores you to learn about how things work, how they are built, and how to make them better, then you probably do not want to become an engineer.

What kind of problems will I solve in a career in electrical engineering? And mechanical?

Physics news on Phys.org

Whats are some of the math courses (or topics) that you take in Mechanical Engineering programs, or any other engineering programs?

Differential equations, calculus 3, probability ?...

Really depends on the stream but DE is the most common one.

Hi,

Can anyone tell me what field should i study to be related with CNC machines?

AlbanianBlood said:
Hi,

Can anyone tell me what field should i study to be related with CNC machines?

Computer Engineer/Computer Science/ Electrical Engineering/Mechanical Engineering - All depends on what aspect of CNC machines you'd like to design or are interested in.

I've recently been trying to figure what I want to do for a career.
I am still stuck as to what I want though.
I absolutely love the universe,space, and pretty much everything to do without of this world entities. But I do not see that being a practical career choice.
And then there is the passion of wanting to know exactly how everything works, and why it works. Which is why I want to become an engineer.
But I am unsure of what kind.
I am not great at math, but I improve greatly on it over time. The same with different sciences. And because of that my grades weren't that great.
I was wondering if I could still become one? As from what I have read and understand is that it takes more work and dedication, than just off the bat smarts with the maths and physics of it all.

Uncle said:
As from what I have read and understand is that it takes more work and dedication, than just off the bat smarts with the maths and physics of it all.

You're correct. Guys who have the smarts with maths and physics we call them scientists. Engineers are the guys who put in the many hours (many many hours) to make something work. Its okay if you're not #1 in those areas, don't make that deter you from a career in engineering. If you put in the time and have the dedication, you can overcome any deficiency you have in a particular subject to get to the real work that is engineering. In the end its worth it!

Hi. I have a technical certification in music environments, studios, concerts, etc. That's really my ultimate passion, I love it, and I hope to one day own a studio.

The only problem is that path is really sketchy, and is more about WHO you know than WHAT you know. So recently, I've decided to switch courses, and am about to graduate with an associate of science from a community college with good grades in calculus and physics. I have plans to transfer into an engineering field.

I was thinking EE, because I feel that it was a strong correlation with sound engineering. However, after this last semester of taking University physics and really getting slammed with all this calculus based magnetism, when I am just barely learning integral calculus, has me a bit worried about EE, and has me thinking ME might be more my speed, since I really loved the mechanical physics semester, and did very well.

I'm still doing well in the electrical/waves semester of physics, but I am struggling to keep my A.

Any opinions?

Just be warned that mech eng also involves a lot of calculus (fluid mechanics, thermodynamics etc).

denks said:
Just be warned that mech eng also involves a lot of calculus (fluid mechanics, thermodynamics etc).

Indeed, I should've figured that. Well, calculus aside I have decided to go for EE. I think it will ultimately be more satisfying for me, assuming I can choke it down. And I decided that I don't want it to be one of those things, y'know, 15 years down the road, when I look back and say: "Man, I should've been an electrical engineer!"

Thanks denks.

Wow this forum has really helped me A lot. Currently I'am a junior in High School and my interests lie in physics, currently taking Advanced. I have been thinking about pushing for astronautical engineering but also thinking of mechanical just because of the range of potential careers. What I really wish to do is design propulsion systems for spacecraft but also be able to fall back into a automotive career or something of that sort if I decide to change my mind. But all the research I've done into either of these fields has told me zilch as to what it is actually like. If anyone has advice or experience they could share, it would be greatly appreciated.

51 pages..could not read it all :smile: My biggest concern is starting out in the field..I have an interest for the maths and sciences ..I really do enjoy studying math, so no doubt I may be on the right track.

But how was it for each one of you as an entry-level engineer? Did the employer expect you to know certain things right off the bat, or did they have you under the guidance of an experienced engineer?

My biggest concern is this that overwhelms me.

The material I currently learn in lecture I can ace, or at least above average it, as I know what is expected of me to use and how to go about it. My problem lies in when on a project and a problem is given to KNOW what to use intuitively and having to remember all equations and formulas and where to apply these. How did some of you cope with this or are coping with it currently?

My only hope is that I have not yet taken any upper-level engineering classes so when I do, some of my concerns may get cleared up.

Btw, I'm currently studying Mechanical engineering..but still having doubts as to whether I should switch to an Astronomy & Physics degree, or Computer Science.

I want to be a nuclear engineer but there are no schools with the program in the state. The closest school with the program is Penn State. The tuition is extremely expensive, at least 35,000 a year. I was wondering if I could take the basic engineering classes in a school in New Jersey and take the final two years at Penn State. Also I am wondering if it would be worth it to get a masters.

Hi all, I am a 23 year old community college student and I am interested in starting on the path to become an engineer. I don't have much experience with math and science beyond general high school courses, but I have always been quite good at both subjects. I am interested in several fields of engineering, and I have particular interest in robotics, biomedical technology, nanotechnology, and computer engineering. I was wondering what type of engineering degree I should get as a bachelor's if I want to have as many options like the ones I listed open to me. So far I am looking at electrical engineering and computer engineering, but I am wondering how much electrical or computer science background I will get with a bachelor's in bioengineering technology. I notice that the BLS shows that bioengineering demand is going to take the heck off in the next decade, while the other fields of engineering are not showing much growth relative to the general job market. Any comments on this?

Anyway, thanks for any and all replies!

I know this varies from school to school but in general can someone who has a B.S. in mathematics go to a different school for a second bachelors in engineering? My "backup" plan is to be an engineer, most likely a mechanical or aerospace engineer. Some people recommend eschewing a second bachelors for a masters but I've taken literally zero engineering courses (because my school doesn't offer engineering.) I wouldn't feel comfortable jumping into upper level engineering classes, not that I anticipate any schools allowing me to do so.

I'm still browsing career options so forgive me for my ignorance. I can't remember if it was this thread or another but somewhere it talked about engineer vs scientist. Scientists learn more about why something works, when an engineer takes that knowledge and tries to apply it. I really enjoy the theory of why something works and how it works rather than how it could be applied. when I browse engineering jobs on the net I get the sense that most engineers take on a managerial role? I really don't like managing other people so this dampers the idea of choosing engineering as a career plan for me. Maybe engineering not the road to go down? or maybe eng. technology better route?

Last edited:

It is equally true for both science and engineering that management opportunities present themselves to experienced persons. Those who dislike management can usually find satisfaction in continuing their science or engineering practice. If mechguy85, you are young, then bear in mind that your own view may evolve into something you didn't foresee. I recall a cartoon in which there are two caterpillas talking to each other on the ground. Above them are two butterflies hovering and fluttering in the air. One caterpillar says to the other "You'll never catch me flying one of those things".

hi,
i know I'm a little bit out of subject, but I'm new to the forum and I'm not at ease with searching for the right threads... so please read my post and reply if possible

i don't really enjoy knowing how stuff function or so, but i really like reading books about theoretical physics, although i know hawking books are rather simplified... but it excites me!

i would really prefer a career in physics, but (1) i don't know about the post academical opportunities, (2) i don't know what the best universities are(german,french or english education) (3) we're a normal income family, so can somebody help me with financial aid associations?

please help me out, i don't want to end up with the wrong job!
and thank you in advance :D (send a private message if necessary)

I am looking to studying engineering via distance learning, I know this will add on time to completing a degree but work commitments leave me no choice. My question to you all is what universitites offer such degrees. I am South African and I know that UNISA offers this, I am not sure how recognised the degree is. I am not too keen on US universities mainly due to the costs. Does anyone know of universities in Aus, NZ, HK, UK or SA offering engineering via distance learning?

Thanks

In Australia I do not believe there are any engineering degrees offered by distance learning. There are a number of science and maths degrees but no engineering.

Does computer Engineering and Electrical Engineering require a lot of math? I've found linear algebra to be pretty tough because of the proofs. Calc I and II rather okay. Does the math get much tougher?

caljuice said:
Does computer Engineering and Electrical Engineering require a lot of math? I've found linear algebra to be pretty tough because of the proofs. Calc I and II rather okay. Does the math get much tougher?

Computer Eng: a lot of math. Electrical Engineering: The hardest math of almost all engineering disciplines.

I am a physics/math double major with one year left of college, and while I've really enjoyed studying both physics and math in my time here I am considering switching over to engineering for grad school. Although discovering how nature works appeals to me greatly, as far as careers go I think actually building useful things is much more appealing (I've done some research labs and I've found them a little boring). However, I do not have any engineering background, and my college does not have an engineering school so I am unable to take engineering courses here.

How do I determine if I should stick with physics or move to engineering? And if I do choose engineering of some sort, what's the best way to prepare myself for the transition?

Thanks for your input!

viscousflow said:
Computer Eng: a lot of math. Electrical Engineering: The hardest math of almost all engineering disciplines.

I don't know about that, I'm an EE and I have a math minor (done up to pde's, complex analysis on top of linear and calc 1-3) but I've rarely used my advanced math skills to a large extent. I imagine I'll see some Fourier transforms in communications and dsp, but other than that the math hasn't been too bad. Other than vector calculus in fields and waves the highest math I've used in my EE classes was very rudimentary matrix algebra and ode's to solve circuits and even then the laplace transform simplifies everything. I always find it odd when people say engineering math (at least undergrad) is difficult, it really isn't.

VariableX said:
I am a physics/math double major with one year left of college, and while I've really enjoyed studying both physics and math in my time here I am considering switching over to engineering for grad school. Although discovering how nature works appeals to me greatly, as far as careers go I think actually building useful things is much more appealing (I've done some research labs and I've found them a little boring). However, I do not have any engineering background, and my college does not have an engineering school so I am unable to take engineering courses here.

How do I determine if I should stick with physics or move to engineering? And if I do choose engineering of some sort, what's the best way to prepare myself for the transition?

Thanks for your input!

Your background would probably put you in a position to work in theory, mathematical analysis, and simulation. Computational physics is a big research area in EE, ME, and NE.

clope023 said:
I don't know about that, I'm an EE and I have a math minor (done up to pde's, complex analysis on top of linear and calc 1-3) but I've rarely used my advanced math skills to a large extent. I imagine I'll see some Fourier transforms in communications and dsp, but other than that the math hasn't been too bad. Other than vector calculus in fields and waves the highest math I've used in my EE classes was very rudimentary matrix algebra and ode's to solve circuits and even then the laplace transform simplifies everything. I always find it odd when people say engineering math (at least undergrad) is difficult, it really isn't.

clope don't get me wrong, it really isn't difficult (to me either) I was only speaking relatively among all other engineering disciplines. I find it useful to implement some sort of "scale", especially for someone who doesn't know what they're getting in to. Note I didn't say it has the most difficult math period, however, only across all engineering disciplines, big difference.

Its all relative.

I'm a civil engineering student. Is it rational for me to pursue graduate programs after graduating with a BS? I've already asked it in my previous threads, but I'm still in the process of getting the point... 'why is that many answered ; pursuing such graduate program for a civil engineering graduate wouldn't give a certain bearing for employment?' and many posts that I've read echo the same opinion.

Thanks for your input.

Hi all, I am a 17 year old college student (in the UK so college is not Uni) considering going into Engineering. I've always enjoyed and excelled in Maths, however I've never been particularly interested in Physics... although I've done good academically so far and I am still sure Ill manage the A in my A Level Physics

My question is: Is Engineering right for me?

Ive never been keen on Mechanics so I've ruled out Civil and Mechanical Engineering but considering EEE as I do find Electronics quite interesting, if anyone here is currently or was an EEE student, could you briefly outline the material involved in studying EEE? Is it really Math intensive, is it more theoretical or practical etc? Thanks in advance

Hey guys. So, I've been thinking about going into Civil Engineering, I've researched a lot about the field but everything on the internet seems too vague or superficial... are there any civil engineers here that can provide a deep look into what the work or college workload really looks like ?

Sorry if my question is too vague, I just want to be absolutely sure of what I'm doing before I go into it.

bundd: The answer may depend on which country you are in. Whatever, you should aim to work with a practising engineer who can help you develop, either during college years working part time, or after graduation. It isn't easy but is rewarding. You will need good maths to do the course, even if you don't then use it in practice. Civil Engineering is so broad a profession, you are bound to find a niche that suits you. After 6 years of professional practice designing all sorts of things, I turned to teaching to 'bring on the next generation', but most engineers just carry on accumulating experience and getting better and better. As a broad generalisation, some Civil Engineers get their kicks from design, and others from the construction process. Teamwork is essential, and you could spend your college years developing your interpersonal skills, including written, graphical and spoken communication. In particular, Civil Engineering is very international, and you could, if you wanted to, work anywhere in the world. To get further insights, try reading a few Civil Engineering professional journals; but better, is to ask for careers advice from Civil Engineers near where you live. Best wishes for a successful outcome.

Last edited:

thanks for the answer, pongo38. I live in Brazil, I'm thinking about requesting at my previous university to watch some classes, that should help a little bit.

Has anyone on here received a master's in some engineering field and phd in physics or vice versa?

I really enjoy all of the theory and math physics has to offer. My goal in life is to try and invent some new products and engineering seems to be the route to take for that. Although, people with extensive knowledge in physics would know a lot more nitty gritty theory than an engineer would but engineers would have the manufacturing/production experience and designing skills. So I've considered doing both. Just wanted to know if I'm the only one or not.

Mechguy85 said:
Has anyone on here received a master's in some engineering field and phd in physics or vice versa?

I really enjoy all of the theory and math physics has to offer. My goal in life is to try and invent some new products and engineering seems to be the route to take for that. Although, people with extensive knowledge in physics would know a lot more nitty gritty theory than an engineer would but engineers would have the manufacturing/production experience and designing skills. So I've considered doing both. Just wanted to know if I'm the only one or not.

You could do engineering physics.

considered it too but not offered at local university :/ can't afford to go out of state either.

when i was back in my country < a very poor country > i was an engineering student<petroleum engineering>.. i didn't like taking it as my course at first coz it was just my father who insisted it but when i have taken it I've come to like it.. i mean it was challenging & fun..

about 2 yrs ago exactly when I've just finished my first year, we migrated here in Canada.. i still want to continue that course & become a petroleum engineer but now I've got loads of worries.. :cry:

1. well I've search how engineering courses works here & it was more difficult compare to the lessons I've learned in our country --,)
2.engineering in universities here are expensive that I'm scared that if i failed the course I'm going to be dealing with loads of debt with my student loan.
3.i'm not that good in math < but not that bad either> i love physics & still undecided if i should go for it.< and I'm sure it's engineering that i should go for not sciences>

it may sound negative & my apologies for that..i'm thinking 'how could a poor girl like me possibly becoming a pet.engr?' i don't want to get my dreams shattered. i just need a little 'push' for me to continue this dream :eek:)

>.<