Black holes and the accelerating expansion of the Universe

In summary, the conversation discusses the possibility of the rate of expansion of the Universe appearing to increase due to time compressing effects from the black hole at the center of our galaxy. However, it is unlikely as the effects of general relativity are negligible at this distance and can be compensated for in calculations.
agreen
Ok; I'm not a physicist... I'm not a mathematician... I'm not even in school, I'm just a computer guy who watches the Science channel a lot :) So don't yell at me... be gentle :)

I've heard and read that the rate of expansion of the Universe may be increasing.

Is it possible that it only appears that way, because we are experiencing time compressing effects from the black hole at the center of our galaxy? In other words, time is going slower for us as compared to other galaxies further out?

Astronomy news on Phys.org
No promises about being gentle ;)
agreen said:
Is it possible that it only appears that way, because we are experiencing time compressing effects from the black hole at the center of our galaxy? In other words, time is going slower for us as compared to other galaxies further out?
Nope. The general relativity (GR) effects (e.g. time dilation) are entirely negligible this far away. Those effects are only significant within a few schwarzschild radii of the BH.

But also, if the explanation was something like what you're suggesting--we'd be able to tell. If we were effected enough by GR time dilation to effect those measurements (i'm not sure if/how that could even hypothetically happen), it wouldn't be very hard to compensate. As long as you stay outside the event horizon, GR enables extremely accurate calculations and compensations (e.g. for GPS).

Good question though.

Very cool, thanks for the explanation :)

FAQ: Black holes and the accelerating expansion of the Universe

1. What is a black hole?

A black hole is a region in space where the pull of gravity is so strong that nothing, including light, can escape from it. It is formed when a massive star dies and collapses under its own gravity.

2. How do black holes affect the expansion of the Universe?

Black holes do not directly affect the expansion of the Universe. However, they do play a role in the formation of galaxies and galaxy clusters, which contribute to the overall expansion of the Universe.

3. What is the accelerating expansion of the Universe and how is it related to black holes?

The accelerating expansion of the Universe refers to the observation that the galaxies are moving away from each other at an increasing rate. This phenomenon is thought to be caused by dark energy, a mysterious force that is thought to make up about 70% of the total energy of the Universe. Black holes have no direct effect on dark energy, but their presence in galaxies can affect the distribution and movement of matter, which in turn can impact the expansion rate of the Universe.

4. Can black holes be used as a source of energy?

While the extreme gravity of a black hole can generate immense amounts of energy, it is not currently possible to harness this energy. The intense forces and extreme conditions near a black hole make it extremely difficult to extract any useful energy.

5. Could a black hole destroy the entire Universe?

No, a black hole does not have the ability to destroy the entire Universe. While it can have a significant impact on its immediate surroundings, the Universe as a whole is much larger and more complex than any single black hole. In fact, black holes play a crucial role in the evolution and growth of galaxies and the Universe itself.

Back