Black Holes and The End of Spacetime

In summary, the conversation discusses Stephen Hawking's book "A Brief History of Time" and the concept of falling into a black hole. The speaker mentions that Hawking wrote about the singularity and how time collapses if one were to fall into a black hole. However, the other person clarifies that the singularity is not the actual center of the black hole and it is still possible to reach it. The conversation also touches on the idea that the singularity may not actually be a single point, but instead a more complex concept.
SteveManPhy076
Recently I was reading Stephen Hawking's brilliant book "A Brief History of Time" and I believe I can recall him writing multiple paragraphs about falling into a black hole. I think I remember him saying that if you were to fall in all of time begins to collapse and the singularity will always be in your future but not your past, I'm taking this as meaning that you will never reach the point of infinite density?? Can someone elaborate, please?

(sorry I'm kind of dumb in comparison to him right now because I'm still in high school)

Astronomy news on Phys.org
No, it doesn't. First, "singularity" is not really the "point" at the center of a black hole. "Singularity" just means "the place where the math model breaks down and we don't know WHAT is going on". Second, yes, you DO get to the center. He did not mean to imply that you don't. It will be in you future until you get there. Of course, that's all pretty meaningless anyway since you would have been utterly destroyed long before you get there.

Now, you WILL hear the singularity described as a point but it is believed that if we ever get a theory of quantum gravity, that will probably resolve to something more complex. Calling it a point is just shorthand for all of that.

Related to Black Holes and The End of Spacetime

1. What is a black hole?

A black hole is a region of space that has such a strong gravitational pull that nothing, including light, can escape from it. This is due to the massive amount of matter that is concentrated in a small area, causing a distortion in space and time.

2. How are black holes formed?

Black holes are formed when a massive star runs out of fuel and collapses under its own gravity. The outer layers of the star are blown off in a powerful explosion called a supernova, while the core collapses into a singularity, creating a black hole.

3. How do black holes affect spacetime?

Black holes have a strong effect on spacetime due to their immense mass. They create a distortion in spacetime, causing objects and light to follow curved paths around the black hole. This distortion also causes time to slow down near the black hole, a phenomenon known as time dilation.

4. Can anything escape from a black hole?

Once an object or even light enters the event horizon of a black hole, it cannot escape. The gravitational pull is so strong that it overcomes any force, including light, which is why black holes are invisible to the human eye. However, some particles and energy can escape from the black hole through Hawking radiation.

5. What happens at the end of spacetime near a black hole?

Near the event horizon of a black hole, time and space become infinitely distorted. As an object gets closer to the singularity at the center of the black hole, time slows down and eventually comes to a standstill. It is believed that at the center of a black hole, spacetime comes to an end, making it impossible to predict what happens beyond this point.