Block Sliding Down Inclined Plane with Pulley and Friction

In summary, a block with mass 5.00kg slides down an inclined surface and the coefficient of kinetic friction is 0.27. A string attached to the block is wrapped around a flywheel on a fixed axis at O. The flywheel has mass 23.0kg and moment of inertia 0.500 kg⋅m2 with respect to the axis of rotation. The string pulls without slipping at a perpendicular distance of 0.200m from that axis. The block experiences an acceleration down the plane.
sreya

Homework Statement

A block with mass m = 5.00kg slides down a surface inclined 36.9 ∘ to the horizontal (the figure (Figure 1) ). The coefficient of kinetic friction is 0.27. A string attached to the block is wrapped around a flywheel on a fixed axis at O. The flywheel has mass 23.0kg and moment of inertia 0.500 kg⋅m2 with respect to the axis of rotation. The string pulls without slipping at a perpendicular distance of 0.200m from that axis.

YF-10-55.jpg

What is the acceleration of the block down the plane?

Homework Equations

Moment of Inertia

[itex]\tau = rF = I\alpha[/itex]

The Attempt at a Solution

R = radius of wheel = [itex] I = \frac{MR^2}{2} => \sqrt(\frac{1}{M})=R [/itex]

r = radius to point P (where the force acts as a torque)

[itex]F_{net x } = mgsin\theta-\mu_kmgcos\theta-T=ma[/itex]

[itex] \tau = rT = I\alpha = \frac{Ia}{R}[/itex]

[itex] T = \frac{Ia}{rR} [/itex]

[itex] mg(sin\theta - \mu_kcos\theta)=ma+\frac{Ia}{rR}[/itex]

[itex] mg(sin\theta - \mu_kcos\theta)\frac{1}{m+\frac{I}{rR}}=a[/itex]

Somehow this is giving me the wrong answer, what did I do wrong?

EDIT: it seems that when you set R=r it'll give you the right answer. This does not make sense, the radius of the Cylinder is not equivalent to the radius of the torque (which is defined as .2 in the problem). They differ, if only slightly, however mastering physics tells me I'm wrong.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
sreya said:
[itex] T = \frac{Ia}{rR} [/itex]

The RHS should have 'r' instead of 'rR' .

I don't think it should, I divided through by r to arrive at [itex]T=\frac{Ia}{rR}[/itex]
the division takes place in the line above the one you are citing

Okay...I was reading 'a' as 'α' .

You are right in figuring out that R=r in your work. Basically R i.e radius features only in the MI (MR2/2) .In the torque equation as well as the no slip condition ,we need to consider 'r'.

The relationship between 'a' and 'α' is a=αr and not a =αR .The tangential acceleration of the tip of the pulley where the rope leaves it is αr which is in turn equal to the acceleration of the block.

Likes 1 person
Ohhh, yes you're absolutely right. What was the point in throwing in the weight of the pulley then, extraneous information?

sreya said:
What was the point in throwing in the weight of the pulley then, extraneous information?

To check your understanding whether you can pick up the relevant piece of information from the problem :smile:

Related to Block Sliding Down Inclined Plane with Pulley and Friction

1. What is the force acting on a block sliding down a plane?

The force acting on a block sliding down a plane is the component of the force of gravity that is parallel to the plane, also known as the gravitational force component.

2. How does the angle of the plane affect the acceleration of the block?

The angle of the plane affects the acceleration of the block by changing the magnitude of the gravitational force component. As the angle increases, the force component also increases, resulting in a greater acceleration down the plane.

3. Does the mass of the block affect its acceleration down the plane?

Yes, the mass of the block does affect its acceleration down the plane. The greater the mass of the block, the greater the force of gravity acting on it, and therefore the greater the acceleration down the plane.

4. What is the relationship between the coefficient of friction and the acceleration of the block down the plane?

The coefficient of friction affects the acceleration of the block down the plane by determining the amount of frictional force acting on the block. If the coefficient of friction is high, the frictional force will be greater, resulting in a slower acceleration down the plane.

5. How does the length of the plane affect the acceleration of the block?

The length of the plane does not have a direct effect on the acceleration of the block. However, a longer plane will result in a longer distance for the block to travel, allowing for a longer acceleration period.