Block Sliding on Moving Cart: Determining Time and Distance with Friction Forces

In summary, In part a the block A will slide if the force of friction is not equal to or greater than the static friction.
deng

Homework Statement

A block is sitting on top of a cart (block A). The cart is being pulled at 200N to the right.
If a force F = 200N is applied to the 30 kg, cart, show that the 20kg block A will slide on the cart. Also determione the time for the block A to move on the cart 1.5m. The coefficients of static and kinetic frition between the block and the cart are us(static) = 0.3, uk(kinetic)= 0.25. Both cart at block start from rest.

Homework Equations

F=ma
force of friction f=usmg (for static friction)
force of friction f=ukmg (for kinetic friction)
xf = final position, x0= initial position,
xf=x0 + v0t + 1/2at^2

The Attempt at a Solution

I assumed that if the force is acting to the right on the cart, that it would be acting to the left on the the box. So when I do a free body diagram of the box I have F=200N going to the left, and f=usmg going to the right.
To prove that it will move I just show that 200>usmg, which it is when you plug in the numbers given.
To find how far it moves I just said:
F-f=ma
so
200-ukmg = max and since I'm only looking at the box I use the 20kg.
200-(0.25)(20)(9.81) = 20a
a= 7.547

then I plugged this acceleration into
xf = x0 + v0t + 1/2at^2
x0 = 0, v0 = 0 so it simplifies to
xf = 1/2at^2
1.5m = 1/2(7.547)t^2
and t = 0.6304 s.

Apparently the answer is 1.080s.

What am I doing wrong?

Physics news on Phys.org
For Part a: Assume block A does not slide on the cart and find u_s. If it is less than 0.3 you know the block slides. You will need to do free body diagrams for both block A and the cart. Both are accelerating to the right in part a.

After you have convinced yourself that the block moves redo with u_k=0.25.

I don't see a 200 N force on block A. I see a Ff, mg and N_A force and an acceleration.

FAQ: Block Sliding on Moving Cart: Determining Time and Distance with Friction Forces

1. What is the purpose of studying block sliding on moving cart?

The purpose of studying block sliding on moving cart is to understand the principles of motion and forces, as well as to apply these concepts in real-life situations such as transportation and engineering.

2. What is the relationship between the mass of the block and the force required to move it on a moving cart?

The relationship between the mass of the block and the force required to move it on a moving cart is directly proportional. This means that as the mass of the block increases, the force required to move it also increases.

3. How does the speed of the moving cart affect the motion of the block?

The speed of the moving cart affects the motion of the block by determining the magnitude of the force acting on the block. As the cart moves faster, the force acting on the block also increases, causing it to accelerate or decelerate accordingly.

4. What role does friction play in block sliding on moving cart?

Friction plays a crucial role in block sliding on moving cart as it acts in the opposite direction of the motion, slowing down the block and creating a force that needs to be overcome to keep the block moving.

5. Can the motion of the block on a moving cart be predicted accurately?

Yes, the motion of the block on a moving cart can be predicted accurately by using mathematical equations and principles such as Newton's laws of motion. However, external factors such as air resistance and imperfections in the cart's surface may affect the accuracy of the predictions.

Back