Book for Coaxial cable problem in Physics GRE

In summary, the conversation is about finding a book to study for a physics GRE problem related to coaxial cable impedance. The problem is covered in most undergraduate electromagnetism courses and can be found in books such as "Electromagnetic Vibrations, Waves, and Radiation" by Bekefi and Barrett or "The Physics of Vibrations and Waves" by Pain. Other resources include online books or searching for "transmission line impedance match" on Google. Although not covered in introductory E&M courses, it is important for understanding practical applications in physics experiments. The third edition of "Marion and Heald" also covers this topic.
rar0308
Book for Coaxial cable impedance problem in Physics GRE

08 003.png

This is GR9277, Problem 18.
Is this covered in any physics undergraduate course?
What subject is this problem belong to?
What book do you recommend for studying this?

How can I make the picture appear bigger?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Any electromagnetism course should cover this.

Can you give a specific reference? I searched Griffiths' book but didn't find characteristic impedance thing.

a coaxial cable is an example of a transmission line. But more generally, the question is about wave impedance and impedance matching. I first learned about this topic in 3rd semester physics; the texts were "electromagnetic vibrations, waves, and radiation" by Bekefi and Barrett, and "the physics of vibrations and waves" by Pain. Bekefi is an excellent intro to electrodynamics and is by far the better of those books in just about every possible way. Higher level treatments are of course available - I am an electrical engineer and can say that almost all upper division "engineering electromagnetics" type of books cover this stuff in gory detail. It is useful so it is nice to see the GRE asking folks to connect EM to the practical world.

My guess is that a basic discussion is all that you need. Try googling "transmission line impedance match" and you will find lots of links. If you have access to a university library you should find many books that cover this. You likely don't need to acquire a book just for this topic.

A free book that covers way more than you might want (and so much that it may not be an efficient use of your time at this point) is at:
http://www.ece.rutgers.edu/~orfanidi/ewa/

jason

rar0308 said:
Can you give a specific reference? I searched Griffiths' book but didn't find characteristic impedance thing.

Given that Griffiths devotes only 6 pages to waveguides (!), I suppose this question is meant by the GRE people to be more of a 'special topics' featuring EE rather than an E&M question.

(Upon closer examination, even Jackson doesn't cover this! I suppose I was lucky to get this in my course based on Heald and Marion's book)

Read the relevant chapter(s) in Cheng's book (fundamentals of engineering EM or something to that avail). I covered this stuff in my 2nd EM course and in one of my labs.

Likes 1 person
Nabeshin said:
Given that Griffiths devotes only 6 pages to waveguides (!), I suppose this question is meant by the GRE people to be more of a 'special topics' featuring EE rather than an E&M question.

(Upon closer examination, even Jackson doesn't cover this! I suppose I was lucky to get this in my course based on Heald and Marion's book)

I think it is too bad that it might be considered outside the scope of physics; I would think quite a few pure physics experiments require RF electronics that need to be impedance matched in order to provide usable experimental results. Or perhaps it is just that many of the upper division books/courses were developed with the assumption that students take an intro level course on waves that includes the topic of transmission lines and impedance matching. I just know that I had to take such an intro course along side the pure physics majors, but have no idea how common that is these days.

I just found an online book from such a course that may suit the OP just perfect:

http://farside.ph.utexas.edu/teaching/315/Waveshtml/index.html

The sections on transmission lines look good at a first glance.

jason

EDIT: just looked - 3rd edition of Marion and Heald is now in Dover. The TOC and index indicate that the third edition does discuss transmission lines, waveguides, and impedance matching

Last edited:
Likes 1 person

Related to Book for Coaxial cable problem in Physics GRE

1. What topics are covered in a "Book for Coaxial cable problem in Physics GRE"?

The book covers topics related to coaxial cables, such as electromagnetic waves, transmission lines, and circuit theory. It also includes practice problems and strategies for solving them.

2. How can this book help in studying for the Physics GRE?

This book specifically focuses on the types of problems that may be asked about coaxial cables on the Physics GRE. It provides a comprehensive review of the relevant concepts and offers practice problems to help you prepare for the exam.

3. Is this book suitable for beginners in physics?

Yes, this book is suitable for beginners as it covers the fundamental concepts of coaxial cables and provides practice problems with varying levels of difficulty. However, some prior knowledge of basic physics principles may be helpful.

4. Does this book include solutions to the practice problems?

Yes, this book includes solutions to the practice problems. It also provides explanations and step-by-step solutions for each problem to help you understand the concepts and improve your problem-solving skills.

5. Can this book be used as the sole resource for studying coaxial cable problems for the Physics GRE?

While this book is a helpful resource, it is recommended to use it in conjunction with other study materials, such as textbooks and past exams. This will provide a more comprehensive preparation for the Physics GRE and ensure that you are familiar with all the possible types of questions that may be asked.