Books and websites about manipulatives in mathematics?

In summary, the conversation discussed the use of manipulatives in mathematics teaching for secondary schools. The participants mentioned the usefulness of manipulatives, such as Cuisenaire rods, in teaching operations and fractions. They also shared resources, such as a Wikipedia page and a website, for further information on manipulatives. The conversation ended with a realization of how manipulatives can aid understanding of mathematical concepts.
robertphy
Do you know about books and websites about manipulatives in mathematics teaching for secondary schools?
I think manipulatives are incredibly useful in teaching Mathematics.

Thank you for your support.

Physics news on Phys.org
Never heard of that method

Likes vanhees71
What is a manipulative?

Likes jtbell
I believe Cuisinaire rods (see https://www.amazon.com/dp/B000F8R5N2/?tag=pfamazon01-20) fall into the category of mathematics manipulatives. They're very useful IMO for teaching such arithmetic operations as multiplication and division and working with fractional amounts.

They're mostly used in the primary grades. I don't know of anything of this nature that is used in the higher grades.

I've never seen those rods before (elementary school in the 1960s). Though I do remember staring at a floor tiled with small square tiles, and "seeing why" the sum of the first n odd numbers is n^2.

Likes mathwonk, vanhees71 and Demystifier
And thanks to your mental picture, I see why it is also equivalent to the algebraic formula (n+1)^2 - n^2 = 2n+1, which also proves it by induction. cool.

Likes Demystifier and gmax137

FAQ: Books and websites about manipulatives in mathematics?

1. What are some recommended books on using manipulatives in mathematics education?

Some highly recommended books include "The Art of Teaching Primary School Mathematics" by Derek Haylock, "Mathematics for Elementary Teachers with Activities" by Sybilla Beckmann, and "Number Talks: Helping Children Build Mental Math and Computation Strategies" by Sherry Parrish. These books provide comprehensive guides on integrating manipulatives into math lessons effectively.

2. Are there any websites that offer free resources or activities involving math manipulatives?

Yes, several websites offer free resources and activities. Some popular ones include the National Council of Teachers of Mathematics (NCTM) website, Mathigon, and the National Library of Virtual Manipulatives (NLVM). These sites provide a variety of interactive tools and lesson plans that incorporate manipulatives.

3. How can manipulatives improve students' understanding of mathematical concepts?

Manipulatives help students visualize and physically interact with mathematical concepts, making abstract ideas more concrete. They can enhance understanding by allowing students to explore, experiment, and discover patterns and relationships hands-on. This approach can improve retention and foster a deeper comprehension of mathematical principles.

4. What types of manipulatives are commonly used in mathematics education?

Common manipulatives include base-ten blocks, fraction circles, pattern blocks, algebra tiles, and geoboards. Each type of manipulative is designed to help students grasp specific mathematical concepts, such as place value, fractions, geometry, and algebra. They can be used across various grade levels and mathematical topics.

5. How can teachers effectively integrate manipulatives into their math curriculum?

Teachers can effectively integrate manipulatives by aligning them with their lesson objectives and ensuring they are used to enhance understanding rather than as mere tools for engagement. It's important to provide clear instructions, model their use, and allow students to explore and discuss their findings. Reflecting on the activities and connecting them to abstract concepts is also crucial for reinforcing learning.