Books on the Thickness and Material of Space Suits

In summary, the conversation discusses the availability of books that discuss the thickness and material of space suits. It is suggested to try looking on the NASA website or conducting a Google search with specific search terms. One recommended book is "US Space suits" 2nd edition by Thomas and McMann. Other suggestions include researching Professor Dava Newman at MIT and watching Adam Savage's YouTube channel. It is also mentioned that space suits typically have multiple thin layers rather than one thick layer, with an overall thickness of 5mm to 5cm.
emilmammadzada
TL;DR Summary
Books on the Thickness and Material of Space Suits
Dear Experts, are there any books available that discuss the thickness and material of space suits?

Physics news on Phys.org
Did you try looking around the NASA website? Or maybe just try a Google search with good search terms...?

Likes emilmammadzada
berkeman said:
Did you try looking around the NASA website? Or maybe just try a Google search with good search terms...?
Dear Expert , I couldn't find part on the NASA website about this issue. I did a bit of a Google search, but I wanted to ask the experts here in order to access more accurate data.

I can recommend "US Space suits" 2. ed, by Thomas and McMann, for its detailed description of most western space suits, both historical and future prototypes, but since my copy if from 2006 it may not mention some of the lastest suits, e.g. the SpaceX suit. Also, as far as I can recall it does not as such have a reference section with "all the data", and if that is correct you'd pretty much have to read through all the sections interest to get the data.

Perhaps if you limit your search to specific suits (e.g. like the STS EVA suits), then you might have better luck finding data online.

Likes russ_watters and emilmammadzada
You might also research Prof Dava Newman at MIT. She has long been developing novel spacesuit ideas. Pretty interesting.

Likes emilmammadzada
emilmammadzada said:
I did a bit of a Google search
Try a Google search with this: Design of Spacesuits -- it seemed to give me lots of useful hits that may help you. :smile:

Likes emilmammadzada
Adam Savage is a fan of space suits, he has a youtube channel, lots of close up shots

*Im involved in designing T - Suits for the ETERNITY Starship Project ... Space suits tend to have a dozen or so thin layers rather than one thick one. The layers serve different purposes.... thickness overall 5mm to 5cm

Likes emilmammadzada

Related to Books on the Thickness and Material of Space Suits

What are the typical materials used in the construction of space suits?

Space suits are typically constructed from a variety of materials to ensure durability, flexibility, and protection. Common materials include nylon, spandex, urethane-coated nylon, and Dacron. The outer layer is often made of a material called Ortho-Fabric, which includes a blend of Gore-Tex, Kevlar, and Nomex for enhanced durability and resistance to micrometeoroids.

How thick are space suits, and why is this thickness necessary?

Space suits generally have a thickness of a few millimeters, typically ranging from about 3 to 10 millimeters. This thickness is necessary to provide adequate protection against the harsh conditions of space, including extreme temperatures, micrometeoroids, and radiation. The multi-layered construction helps maintain pressure, insulate the astronaut, and protect against potential hazards.

How do books on space suits discuss the balance between flexibility and protection?

Books on space suits often discuss the engineering challenges of balancing flexibility and protection. They detail how multiple layers of different materials are used to achieve this balance. The inner layers are designed for mobility and comfort, while the outer layers provide protection. Advanced materials and innovative designs are employed to ensure that astronauts can move freely while staying safe.

What advancements in materials are being explored for future space suits?

Future space suits are exploring the use of advanced materials such as lightweight composites, enhanced polymers, and smart fabrics. These materials aim to improve the overall functionality of the suit, including better thermal regulation, increased durability, and enhanced mobility. Research is also focused on integrating new technologies like self-healing materials and sensors for real-time monitoring.

How do space suit designs vary for different missions or environments?

Space suit designs can vary significantly depending on the mission requirements and the environment. For example, suits designed for extravehicular activities (EVAs) in low Earth orbit may differ from those intended for lunar or Martian exploration. Lunar suits need to protect against abrasive lunar dust, while Martian suits must handle the planet's thin atmosphere and temperature variations. Each design is tailored to provide the necessary protection and functionality for the specific environment.