C++: Finding a Newline Character in a Sensible Way

• C/C++
  • Thread starter Saladsamurai
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation discusses ways to read data from a text file into an array of structs. The suggestion is to use getline() to read a complete line from the file into a string, and then use istringstream to extract and process the contents of the string. It is noted that using the stream extraction operator >> may not work for catching the end of a line, and using getline() or reading one character at a time may be necessary. The conversation also suggests using the C++ string data type and the getline() function, or using a vector of strings to read the first line into a string stream and then extract each word into the declared vector. Some debugging tips are also provided, such as checking for end of file when
Saladsamurai
I am not sure how to do this:

I have a text file that I have assigned to an ifstream object. The text file looks something like:

Code:
Header1    Header2    Header3 ... HeaderN
data1        data2        data3    ... dataN

I want to read the data into an array of structs. So I need to determine how many headers there are if I don't know in advance.

I am not sure of the best way to do this? I thought that I could just cin the data into a variable while incrementing a counter variable until I encounter a newline character. But I don't know if cin will actually read in a newline or if it will just skip over it? I think the latter.

Any thoughts?

Technology news on Phys.org
You can use getline() to read a complete line from the file into a string.

Then process the contents of the string. You might want to use an istringstream, so you can do I/O operations on the data in the string to count the fields, read the data items, etc.

Right, the stream extraction operator >> treats all whitespace (blanks, tabs, newlines) the same way, so you can't use it to "catch" the end of a line. You have to use getline(), or else read one character at a time using cin.get().

If you're using the C++ string data type instead of C-style char* "strings", use the standalone getline() function: getline(cin, yourstring) .

You might also look into use of vector of strings if you prefer to read the first line into a string stream then extract each word into the declared vector. This isn't the best way since you call at least 3 constructors but it would resolve your problem.

Hi folks :smile: Thanks for the input. With your guidance and some searching around I have this. It's almost there:

Code:
#include <iostream>
#include <fstream>
#include <sstream>
int main () 
{
	using namespace std;
	string filename = "test.txt";

ifstream inputFile;
	// Bind test.txt to inputFile object
	inputFile.open( filename.c_str() );
	if ( inputFile.fail() )
	{
		cerr << "Problem opening file ... ";
	}

string stringToSplit;
	// Use getline to assign 1st line of text to string
	getline(inputFile, stringToSplit);
	// Use istringstream class op>> to extract formatted text
	istringstream iss(stringToSplit);

while ( iss )
	{
		string sub;
		iss >> sub;
		cout << "Substring: " << sub << endl;
	}	
    return 0;
}

(*Note that 'test.txt' contains the single line of text: "What is happening".)
The loop seems to execute 1 more time than necessary, as this is the output:

Code:
Program loaded.
run
[Switching to process 613]
Running…
Substring: What
Substring: is
Substring: happening
Substring: 

Debugger stopped.
Program exited with status value:0.

Admittedly, the definition of the istringstream class is a little over my head right now, so that I am not entirely sure what the statement if ( iss ) is testing for.

Any thoughts?

Saladsamurai said:
The loop seems to execute 1 more time than necessary, as this is the output:
The loop executes exactly as many times as it should. The problem is that your write statement is executed before you check whether your read statement hit end of stream.

istringstream is n istream, just like cin. Reading from one is pretty much just like reading from the other.99 out of 100, if you are getting weird behavior when doing I/O, it's because you got the error checking wrong. :smile:

A stringstream behaves just the same as if you were reading a file that with the contents of the string. When try to read past the end of the string, you get the same "end of file" inidications as for a real file.

The last time through your loop, you hit the end of the string so iss >> sub produces an empty string. You then print that, and then you test for "end of string" next time you go through the while statement.

The best way to fix this is the same as for any "reading a file when you don't know how much data there is" situation: test for "end of file" when you try to read the next item, not later on in the code. The neatest way is often to put the "iss >> whatever" in the "while( )" statement, and the code to do something with the data inside the loop. If that isn't possible, you can test the status of iss and leave the loop with a "break" statement.

Edit: I guess Hurkyl types faster than I do!

Hurkyl said:
The loop executes exactly as many times as it should. The problem is that your write statement is executed before you check whether your read statement hit end of stream.

istringstream is n istream, just like cin. Reading from one is pretty much just like reading from the other.

99 out of 100, if you are getting weird behavior when doing I/O, it's because you got the error checking wrong. :smile:

AlephZero said:
A stringstream behaves just the same as if you were reading a file that with the contents of the string. When try to read past the end of the string, you get the same "end of file" inidications as for a real file.

The last time through your loop, you hit the end of the string so iss >> sub produces an empty string. You then print that, and then you test for "end of string" next time you go through the while statement.

The best way to fix this is the same as for any "reading a file when you don't know how much data there is" situation: test for "end of file" when you try to read the next item, not later on in the code. The neatest way is often to put the "iss >> whatever" in the "while( )" statement, and the code to do something with the data inside the loop. If that isn't possible, you can test the status of iss and leave the loop with a "break" statement.

Edit: I guess Hurkyl types faster than I do!

This seems to do it, but I am not sure if I am just masking some other issue. Trying to think ahead a little bit here. Is this what you had in mind? Or am I way off?

Code:
#include <iostream>
#include <fstream>
#include <sstream>
int main ()
{
	using namespace std;
	string stringToSplit ="What happened";

while ( iss )
	{
		string sub;
                iss >> sub;
                if (iss)
               {
               }
	}
    return 0;
}

Saladsamurai said:
This seems to do it, but I am not sure if I am just masking some other issue. Trying to think ahead a little bit here. Is this what you had in mind? Or am I way off?

Code:
#include <iostream>
#include <fstream>
#include <sstream>
int main ()
{
	using namespace std;
	string stringToSplit ="What happened";

while ( iss )
	{
		string sub;
                iss >> sub;
                if (iss)
               {
               }
	}
    return 0;
}

This code looks correct. However, rather than duplicate testing iss in two different places, I would replace the while test with an infinite loop -- the while(true) -- and when the other test fails, use break.

How about this:

Code:
    string sub;
    while (iss >> sub)
    {
    }

FAQ: C++: Finding a Newline Character in a Sensible Way

What is the purpose of finding a newline character in a sensible way in C++?

The purpose of finding a newline character in a sensible way in C++ is to accurately detect the end of a line in a string or file. This is important for various tasks such as parsing data or formatting output.

What is the most commonly used method for finding a newline character in C++?

The most commonly used method for finding a newline character in C++ is using the "getline" function from the iostream library. This function reads a line from an input stream and stops at the first occurrence of a newline character.

Can a newline character be represented by a specific character or symbol?

Yes, a newline character can be represented by the escape sequence \n in C++. This sequence represents a line break or new line in a string or file.

What is the difference between a newline character and a carriage return character?

A newline character, also known as a line feed, represents the end of a line in a Unix-based system. A carriage return character, also known as a line break, represents the end of a line in a Windows-based system. In C++, the newline character is represented by \n and the carriage return character is represented by \r.

How can I check if a string or file contains a newline character in C++?

You can check if a string or file contains a newline character by using the find function from the string library or the getline function from the fstream library. Both of these functions can return the position of the first occurrence of a newline character in the string or file.