Calcularing area vector using line integral

In summary: I was hoping you wouldn't notice that, I was just too lazy to retype it into LaTex, but yes, it was included in my calculations (I appreciate your thoroughness though!)
SquidgyGuff

Homework Statement

A closed curve C is described by the following equations in a Cartesian coordinate system:
gif.gif

gif.gif

gif.gif

where the parameter t runs monotonically from 0 to 2π, thus defining the direction of C. Calculate the area vector of the planar region enclosed by C, using the formula:
gif.gif

2. The attempt at a solution
I'm mostly having trouble defining what
gif.gif
is as a physical quantity. I think it is the distance to an incremented point along the curve such that
gif.gif
it the area of the equilateral shape formed by the vectors and that half the integral of that gives the area but I'm suck here:
gif.gif

Than I can evaluate it as:
gif.gif

and this would give a result that is only in the z direction which dimensionally makes sense

Physics news on Phys.org
SquidgyGuff said:

Homework Statement

A closed curve C is described by the following equations in a Cartesian coordinate system:
gif.gif

gif.gif

gif.gif

where the parameter t runs monotonically from 0 to 2π, thus defining the direction of C. Calculate the area vector of the planar region enclosed by C, using the formula:
gif.gif

2. The attempt at a solution
I'm mostly having trouble defining what
gif.gif
is as a physical quantity. I think it is the distance to an incremented point along the curve such that
gif.gif
it the area of the equilateral shape formed by the vectors and that half the integral of that gives the area but I'm suck here:
gif.gif

Than I can evaluate it as:
gif.gif

and this would give a result that is only in the z direction which dimensionally makes sense

If
[tex] \vec{r} = x(t) \, {\bf i} + y(t) \, {\bf j} + z(t)\, {\bf k} [/tex]
how would you compute ##d \vec{r}## in terms of ##dt##?

Ray Vickson said:
If
[tex] \vec{r} = x(t) \, {\bf i} + y(t) \, {\bf j} + z(t)\, {\bf k} [/tex]
how would you compute ##d \vec{r}## in terms of ##dt##?
My first instinct was just to derive each of them with respect to t like such
20y%28t%29%5Chat%7By%7D+%5Cfrac%7B%5Cpartial%7D%7B%5Cpartial%20t%7D%20z%28t%29%5Chat%7Bz%7D.gif

gif.gif

Is that right?

SquidgyGuff said:
My first instinct was just to derive each of them with respect to t like such
20y%28t%29%5Chat%7By%7D+%5Cfrac%7B%5Cpartial%7D%7B%5Cpartial%20t%7D%20z%28t%29%5Chat%7Bz%7D.gif

gif.gif

Is that right?
Yes, go ahead and finish the evaluation of the integral ...

SteamKing said:
Yes, go ahead and finish the evaluation of the integral ...
So http://www.sciweavers.org/upload/Tex2Img_1442441349/eqn.png (by trig identities)
and so the integral is
http://www.sciweavers.org/upload/Tex2Img_1442441225/eqn.png

Last edited by a moderator:
SquidgyGuff said:
So http://www.sciweavers.org/upload/Tex2Img_1442441349/eqn.png (by trig identities)
and so the integral is
http://www.sciweavers.org/upload/Tex2Img_1442441225/eqn.png

There's a small mistake in your integration. You seem to have omitted integrating the constant (3/8) in your trig identity expression

Last edited by a moderator:
SteamKing said:
There's a small mistake in your integration. You seem to have omitted integrating the constant (3/8) in your trig identity expression
I was hoping you wouldn't notice that, I was just too lazy to retype it into LaTex, but yes, it was included in my calculations (I appreciate your thoroughness though!)

FAQ: Calcularing area vector using line integral

1. What is the purpose of calculating area vector using line integral?

The purpose of calculating area vector using line integral is to find the direction and magnitude of the area of a surface in a given region. This is important in many fields of science, such as physics, engineering, and mathematics, as it allows for the calculation of important quantities such as work, flux, and circulation.

2. How is the area vector calculated using line integral?

The area vector is calculated by taking the line integral of the vector field over the boundary of the given region. This involves integrating the vector field along a closed curve that surrounds the region, with the integral being evaluated using a parameterization of the curve.

3. What are the applications of calculating area vector using line integral?

Calculating area vector using line integral has many applications in different fields of science and engineering. Some examples include calculating the work done by a force on an object, determining the flux of a vector field through a surface, and finding the circulation of a vector field around a closed curve.

4. What are the limitations of using line integral to calculate area vector?

One limitation of using line integral to calculate area vector is that it can only be applied to surfaces with a well-defined boundary. It also requires the surface to be smooth and continuous, and the vector field to be well-behaved. Additionally, the process can be computationally intensive and may not be feasible for complex surfaces.

5. Are there any alternative methods for calculating area vector?

Yes, there are alternative methods for calculating area vector, such as using double or triple integrals in Cartesian, polar, or spherical coordinates. These methods can be used for more complex surfaces and vector fields, but may require more advanced mathematical techniques and may be more time-consuming.