Calculate Capitalised Cost for Perpetual Service in PrivaPower Ltd

• MHB
  • Thread starter waptrick
  • Start date
In summary, the capitalised cost of the perpetual service for the hydro-electric power station will be R553343.65, considering the cost of capital at 14% per annum. This includes the initial cost of R5 000 000 for the installation of the turbines and an annual maintenance cost of R100 000, which will increase by 4% per year due to wear-and-tear. The total cost was calculated using the formula (PV5= PMT/i-k), where PV5 is the present value at year 5, PMT is the annual maintenance cost, i is the annual interest rate, and k is the annual increase in maintenance cost due to inflation.
waptrick
PrivaPower Ltd is considering the construction
of a hydro-electric power station. The
electricity generated by the power station
will be sold to Eskom. You are required to
calculate the capitalised cost now of the
perpetual service if the enterprise’s cost of
capital amounts to 14% per annum. The
following information is provided to you:

After completion of the dam wall’s construction
(i.e. five years from now) the turbines can be
installed. The cost associated with this will amount
to R5 000 000. The turbines’ expected lifetime is 25
years, where afterit must be replaced. It is expected
that the replacement will take place every 25
years at the same cost of R5 000 000 per occasion.

My question is:

Suppose, however, that it is indicated that the annual maintenance cost (payable at the beginning of each year) of the turbines will amount to R50 000 when the first turbines are installed, and that this annual cost will thereafter increase by 11% per year (each year in comparison to the immediately preceding year) as a result of inflation. Recalculate the capitalised cost of the annual maintenance cost.

Mathematics news on Phys.org
After the installation of the turbines took place,
annual maintenance will be required. The annual
maintenance cost of the turbines amounts to
R100 000 per year (payable at the beginning of
the first year that the turbines are used). As a
result of the wear-and-tear of the turbines,
however, it is expected that the maintenance cost
will increase by 4% per year thereafter (each year
in comparison to the immediately preceding year).

That is the original question regarding the capitalized cost for the annual maintenance cost.
I calculated this by:

100000(1+0.14)(((1.14)^25-(1.11)^25)/0.14-0.11)= 27127530.61

then using my financial calculator

FV= 27127530.61
N= 25
I/YR= 14
PMT=?

therefore pmt= 149158.229624

PV5= 149158.229624/0.14= 1065415.92589

PV0= 1065415.92589/1.14^5= 553343.65

FAQ: Calculate Capitalised Cost for Perpetual Service in PrivaPower Ltd

1. How do you calculate the capitalised cost for perpetual service in PrivaPower Ltd?

The capitalised cost for perpetual service in PrivaPower Ltd can be calculated by adding the initial investment cost, any additional costs for maintenance or upgrades, and the present value of future cash flows from the service.

2. What is the formula for calculating the present value of future cash flows?

The formula for calculating the present value of future cash flows is: PV = CF / (1 + r)^n, where PV is the present value, CF is the future cash flow, r is the discount rate, and n is the number of periods.

3. How do you determine the discount rate for calculating the present value of future cash flows?

The discount rate for calculating the present value of future cash flows can be determined by considering the company's cost of capital and the risk associated with the service being provided.

4. Can the capitalised cost for perpetual service in PrivaPower Ltd change over time?

Yes, the capitalised cost for perpetual service in PrivaPower Ltd can change over time due to factors such as changes in maintenance or upgrade costs, changes in the discount rate, and changes in the projected future cash flows.

5. Why is it important to calculate the capitalised cost for perpetual service in PrivaPower Ltd?

Calculating the capitalised cost allows the company to accurately assess the cost of providing the service and make informed decisions about investments and pricing. It also provides a way to compare the costs of different services or investment options within the company.