Calculate expectation value of entangled 2 state system?

In summary, the conversation discusses the use of a projection operator to find the expectation value of an operator and how it relates to the eigenvalues of the operator. The speaker also asks for clarification on the difference between taking the expectation value and using a projection operator. The responder explains that the eigenvalues can be measured in a lab, while the expectation value gives the average result over multiple measurements. The projection operator projects the state onto a basis according to a probability. The speaker expresses gratitude for the explanation.
ianmgull

Homework Statement

Image_1.jpg

Homework Equations

I know that there are two eigenstates of the operator C:

|B> = (1 0) as a column vector with eigenvalue 1
|R> = (0 1) also a column vector with eigenvalue -1

The Attempt at a Solution

My work is shown here:

IMG_3540.jpg

If anyone could point me in the right direction, I'd greatly appreciate it. I've been stuck for hours and just can't figure out what I'm doing wrong.

thanks

Ian

Attachments

• IMG_3540.jpg
    IMG_3540.jpg
    16.1 KB · Views: 622
Physics news on Phys.org
Use a projection operator. A projector on the red basis would look like [itex] P_R = |R\rangle\langle R|[/itex]. Then (dropping 1 and 2 subscripts, and assuming orthogonal states):

[itex]
Prob_R =\frac{1}{2} (\langle B|\langle R| - \langle R|\langle B|)|R\rangle\langle R|(|B\rangle|R\rangle -|R\rangle|B\rangle )=\frac{1}{2}
[/itex]

The expectation value of C is the probability that the measurement produces either 1 or -1, so the average result will be 0.

I just worked it out and that makes much more sense.

I'm still a little unclear on (conceptually) what meaning I should attribute to taking the expectation value of an operator (like above) vs a projection operator.

Thanks so much!

The eigenvalues are what can be measured in a lab; an expectation value will give you the average result that will be obtained over a large number of measurements, in this case 0. A projection operator projects the state onto a basis (red or blue) according to a probability, 1/2 here.

Awesome.

THANK YOU

FAQ: Calculate expectation value of entangled 2 state system?

1. What is an entangled 2 state system?

An entangled 2 state system is a quantum mechanical system composed of two particles that are inextricably linked, meaning that the state of one particle is dependent on the state of the other, regardless of the distance between them.

2. What is an expectation value?

An expectation value is the average value of a given quantity, calculated by multiplying the probability of each possible outcome by the value of that outcome and summing them together.

3. How do you calculate the expectation value of an entangled 2 state system?

The expectation value of an entangled 2 state system can be calculated by taking the inner product of the system's state vector with the operator representing the quantity of interest.

4. What is the significance of calculating the expectation value of an entangled 2 state system?

The expectation value of an entangled 2 state system provides information about the most probable outcome of a measurement, as well as the spread of possible outcomes. It also confirms the correlation between the two particles in the system.

5. How does calculating the expectation value of an entangled 2 state system relate to quantum entanglement?

Calculating the expectation value of an entangled 2 state system is a way to measure the degree of entanglement between the two particles. It also demonstrates the non-local nature of entanglement, as the measurement of one particle affects the state of the other particle, regardless of their distance apart.

Back