Calculate Length of Median on Trapeze (48 cm)

• MHB
  • Thread starter GVdig
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Length
In summary, the two non-parallel sides of a trapeze are 15 cm and 13 cm, the perimeter is 48 cm, and the length of the median can be found by dividing the sum of the two bases by 2.
GVdig
The two non-parallel sides of the trapeze are 15 cm and 13 cm, the perimeter is 48 cm. Find the length of the median.
I don't know anything about trapezes can someone expain how to do this?
View attachment 8192

Attachments

• qQLlbmL.png
    qQLlbmL.png
    2.1 KB · Views: 69
Mathematics news on Phys.org
GVdig said:
The two non-parallel sides of the trapeze are 15 cm and 13 cm, the perimeter is 48 cm. Find the length of the median.
I don't know anything about trapezes can someone expain how to do this?

the median length is the average of the two bases ... let $a$ and $b$ represent the length of each base.

$(a+b) + 13+15 = 48 \implies (a+b) = 20$

can you finish?

I don't think I can, what is 20 exactly?

GVdig said:
I don't think I can, what is 20 exactly?

20 is the sum of the lengths of the two parallel bases ... the median, or mid-segment, is the average (mean) of those two base lengths.

So that's the final answer then.

GVdig said:
So that's the final answer then.

no ...
slide_31.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

Related to Calculate Length of Median on Trapeze (48 cm)

1. How do you calculate the length of the median on a trapeze?

The length of the median on a trapeze can be calculated by adding the lengths of the two parallel sides of the trapeze and dividing the sum by 2. In this case, the median would be 48 cm because the two parallel sides are equal and each have a length of 48 cm.

2. What is a trapeze?

A trapeze is a geometric shape with four sides, two of which are parallel. It can also be thought of as a type of quadrilateral with one pair of parallel sides.

3. Why is the median important in a trapeze?

The median is important in a trapeze because it helps to determine the length of the two non-parallel sides. It is also used to find the area and perimeter of the trapeze.

4. Can the length of the median be longer than the length of the parallel sides?

No, the length of the median cannot be longer than the length of the parallel sides. The median is always equal to the average of the parallel sides, so it can never be longer than either side.

5. How do you measure the length of a trapeze?

The length of a trapeze can be measured by using a ruler or measuring tape to measure the lengths of the two parallel sides. The median can then be calculated using the method mentioned in the first question.