Calculate Nuclear Potential: Z Protons, Radius R

In summary, the conversation is about a question regarding the potential at the center of a nucleus containing Z protons, assuming there are no other charged particles present. The person asking for help is stressed and looking for an explanation, but is reminded to put in effort themselves and read the forum guidelines. They are advised to review lecture notes and the book and make an attempt at a solution. The expert then provides a summary of the question, stating that the potential can be found by multiplying the charge of a proton by the number of protons in the nucleus.
luckyducky
Hi, I have a question I really need the answer to this immediately please please help me I am really stressed out:

Question = A nucleus contains Z protons which on average are uniformly distributed throughout a tiny sphere of radius R. Find the potential (relative to infinity) at the center of the nucleus. Assume that there are no electrons or other charged particle in the vicinity of this bare nucleus.

Please if someone answers and explains it to me I will worship them. Please help!

Physics news on Phys.org
We can not help with coursework unless you first show some effort yourself. Please read our forum guidelines.

Gokul43201 said:
We can not help with coursework unless you first show some effort yourself. Please read our forum guidelines.

What can I do I am new to this topic and don't know much about it.

luckyducky said:
What can I do I am new to this topic and don't know much about it.

Then maybe read the lecture notes and the book once or twice again. Then you do an attempt to solution, and write down all relations that you know of.

You just have to find the electric potential at the centre of a uniformed charged sphere of radius R with charge z times the proton charge.

Related to Calculate Nuclear Potential: Z Protons, Radius R

1. How do you calculate nuclear potential?

The nuclear potential is calculated by multiplying the number of protons (Z) by the radius (R) and then squaring the result. This formula is used to approximate the energy required to hold the nucleus together.

2. What is the significance of Z and R in the nuclear potential calculation?

Z represents the number of protons in the nucleus, which determines the element of the atom. R represents the radius of the nucleus, which is a measure of its size. Both Z and R are important factors in determining the strength of the nuclear potential.

3. What is the unit of measurement for the nuclear potential?

The unit of measurement for the nuclear potential is electron volts (eV). This unit is commonly used in nuclear physics to measure the energy of atomic particles and interactions.

4. Can the nuclear potential be negative?

Yes, the nuclear potential can be negative. This means that the energy required to hold the nucleus together is less than the energy of the individual protons. However, a negative nuclear potential is not stable and can lead to nuclear decay.

5. How does the nuclear potential affect the stability of an atom?

The nuclear potential is a crucial component in determining the stability of an atom. A strong nuclear potential, indicated by a high Z and small R, results in a stable nucleus. On the other hand, a weak nuclear potential, indicated by a low Z and large R, can lead to nuclear instability and decay.

Back