Calculating Amount of Pure Acid Needed for Desired Solution

• MHB
  • Thread starter mathdad
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Acid Pure
In summary, the chemist needs to mix pure acid with the 10% acid solution in order to obtain a 30% acid solution. To determine the amount of pure acid needed, the equation 0.10(5) + x = 0.50(x + 5) can be used, where x represents the amount of pure acid added in mL. The ability to create equations from word problems is a crucial math skill and was a determining factor in the rejection of a job opportunity for the speaker.
mathdad
A chemist needs a 30% acid solution. How much pure acid needs to be mixed with 5 milliliter a of a 10% acid solution to obtain the desired solution?

The words PURE ACID for some reason or another point to 100 percent.

My equation:

0.30(x) + 0.10(5) = (x + 5)

Is this right?

Mathematics news on Phys.org
What you want, where x is the amount of pure acid added in mL:

0.10(5) + x = 0.50(x + 5)

MarkFL said:
What you want, where x is the amount of pure acid added in mL:

0.10(5) + x = 0.50(x + 5)

One of my greatest struggles in math is to create an equation(s) from the words in applications. It is clearly the most important, in my opinion, math skill to learn. I vividly recall getting rejected for a Financial Advisor job in 2006 because I simply could not pass the bank test, which consisted mostly of word problems. The F. A. job could have changed my finances for the better. I took this test (and other exams) after earning my B.A. degree in 1994.

FAQ: Calculating Amount of Pure Acid Needed for Desired Solution

1. What is pure acid?

Pure acid refers to a chemical substance that contains only hydrogen and one other element in its molecular formula. It is typically a corrosive liquid that has a sour taste and can be highly reactive with other substances.

2. How is the amount of pure acid measured?

The amount of pure acid is usually measured in moles, a unit of measurement that represents the number of molecules in a substance. It can also be measured in grams or liters, depending on the specific acid being measured.

3. What factors can affect the amount of pure acid in a solution?

The amount of pure acid in a solution can be affected by factors such as the concentration of the acid, temperature, and the presence of other substances that may react with the acid. It can also be affected by the purity of the acid itself.

4. Why is the amount of pure acid important in scientific experiments?

The amount of pure acid is important in scientific experiments because it can determine the strength and effectiveness of the acid in a reaction. It is also crucial for accurately calculating and predicting the outcome of a chemical reaction.

5. How can the amount of pure acid be calculated?

The amount of pure acid can be calculated by using the acid's molecular formula and its molar mass. The molar mass is multiplied by the number of moles of acid present in the solution to determine the amount of pure acid in grams.

Back