Calculating Angular Momentum and Velocity of a Rotating Ring-Disk System

In summary, the ring+disk system has an initial angular momentum of -14MR2ω, and a final angular velocity of ωf of -2ωr.
november1992

Homework Statement

A ring (mass 2 M, radius 1 R) rotates in a CCW direction with an initial angular speed 1 ω. A disk (mass 2 M, radius 2 R) rotates in a CW direction with initial angular speed 4 ω. The ring and disk "collide" and eventually rotate together. Assume that positive angular momentum and angular velocity values correspond to rotation in the CCW direction.

What is the initial angular momentum Li of the ring+disk system? Write your answer in terms of MR2ω.

What is the final angular velocity ωf of the ring+disk system? Write your answer in terms of ω.

Homework Equations

I= βM[itex]R^{2}[/itex]
L=I*ω
[itex]L_{ring+disk}[/itex]=[itex]I_{ring}[/itex]*[itex]ω_{ring}[/itex]+[itex]I_{disk}[/itex]*[itex]ω_{disk}[/itex]
[itex]L_{i}[/itex]=[itex]L_{f}[/itex]=I*[itex]ω_{f}[/itex]
β for disk = 1/2
β for ring = 1

The Attempt at a Solution

I got -14M[itex]R^{2}[/itex] for the initial angular momentum but I don't know how to find the final angular velocity

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
How did you get ##-14M R^2## ?
Here's what I did..I'm not sure it's right. Some expert will correct me..
##\omega_r = 1 \omega##

##\omega_d = - 4 \omega_r## //opposite in direction to ##\omega_r##

##I_r=M R^2##

##I_d=\frac{1}{2} M R^2##

##L_{ring+disc} = L_r + L_d = (M R ^2)(\omega_r) + (\frac{1}{2} M R^2)(-4 \omega_r)##

##\therefore L_{ring+disc} = M R^2 \omega_r - 2 M R^2 \omega_r = - M R^2 \omega_r##

##I_r + I_d = I_f=\frac{3}{2} M R^2 ##

##L_f=I_f \omega_f ##

##\omega_f=\frac{L_f}{I_f} = \frac{- M R^2 \omega_r}{\frac{3}{2} M R^2} = - \frac{2}{3} \omega_r=- \frac{2}{3} \omega##

Someone correct me please if I went wrong.. :smile:

Last edited:
november1992 said:

Homework Statement

A ring (mass 2 M, radius 1 R) rotates in a CCW direction with an initial angular speed 1 ω. A disk (mass 2 M, radius 2 R) rotates in a CW direction with initial angular speed 4 ω. The ring and disk "collide" and eventually rotate together. Assume that positive angular momentum and angular velocity values correspond to rotation in the CCW direction.

What is the initial angular momentum Li of the ring+disk system? Write your answer in terms of MR2ω.

What is the final angular velocity ωf of the ring+disk system? Write your answer in terms of ω.

Homework Equations

I= βM[itex]R^{2}[/itex]
L=I*ω
[itex]L_{ring+disk}[/itex]=[itex]I_{ring}[/itex]*[itex]ω_{ring}[/itex]+[itex]I_{disk}[/itex]*[itex]ω_{disk}[/itex]
[itex]L_{i}[/itex]=[itex]L_{f}[/itex]=I*[itex]ω_{f}[/itex]
β for disk = 1/2
β for ring = 1

The Attempt at a Solution

I got -14M[itex]R^{2}[/itex] for the initial angular momentum but I don't know how to find the final angular velocity

Now that you have the initial angular momentum, you've correctly realized that this equal to the product of the final angular velocity and the moment of inertia. Probably what's throwing you is how to calculate the moment of inertia. Well, if the two objects are sticking together, they will have the same angular velocity, so you can just add the two moments of inertia.

To MrWarlock: you've neglected in your moments of inertia that the masses and radii are not [itex]M[/itex] and [itex]R[/itex] for both objects.

Steely Dan said:
To MrWarlock: you've neglected in your moments of inertia that the masses and radii are not [itex]M[/itex] and [itex]R[/itex] for both objects.

OHH sorry missed that ...ok i corrected it..

##\omega_r = 1 \omega##

##\omega_d = - 4 \omega_r## //opposite in direction to ##\omega_r##

##I_r = 2 M R^2##

##I_d = \frac{1}{2} 2 M (2 R)^2 = 4 M R^2##

##L_{ring+disc} = L_i = L_r + L_d = (M R ^2)(\omega_r) + (4 M R^2)(-4 \omega_r)##

##\therefore L_i = 2 M R^2 \omega_r - 16 M R^2 \omega_r = - 14 M R^2 \omega_r##

##I_r + I_d = I_f=\frac{3}{2} M R^2 ##

##L_f=I_f \omega_f = L_i##

##\omega_f=\frac{L_i}{I_f} = \frac{- 14 M R^2 \omega_r}{\frac{3}{2} M R^2} = - \frac{28}{3} \omega_r=- \frac{28}{3} \omega##

Is it right? is it??

Not quite, you forgot to correct the total moment of the inertia in the final state with the updated information. But instead of posting the correct answer, let's leave something for the OP to do, eh? :wink:

AARGGH ##\frac{7}{3} \omega##, is it? xD

Related to Calculating Angular Momentum and Velocity of a Rotating Ring-Disk System

1. What is angular velocity?

Angular velocity is a measure of how fast an object is rotating or moving in a circular path. It is typically measured in radians per second (rad/s) or degrees per second (deg/s).

2. How is angular velocity different from linear velocity?

Angular velocity measures the rate of change of an object's angular position, while linear velocity measures the rate of change of an object's linear position. Angular velocity is a vector quantity, meaning it has both magnitude and direction, while linear velocity is a scalar quantity with only magnitude.

3. How do you calculate angular velocity?

Angular velocity can be calculated by dividing the change in angular position by the change in time. The formula is: angular velocity = (final angular position - initial angular position) / (final time - initial time). It is typically represented by the Greek letter omega (ω).

4. What factors affect angular velocity?

The main factors that affect angular velocity are the size of the object's rotation or orbit, the speed of the rotation or orbit, and any external forces acting on the object, such as friction or gravity. Changes in these factors can result in changes in angular velocity.

5. How is angular velocity used in real life?

Angular velocity is used in various fields such as physics, engineering, and astronomy. It is important for understanding the motion of rotating objects and is used in designing machines, vehicles, and structures. In astronomy, angular velocity is used to measure the rotation of planets and stars, as well as the speed and direction of objects in orbit.