Calculating Angular Speed of a Bar/Glob System After Impact

In summary, the conversation discusses the problem of a glob of clay striking a bar perpendicularly on a frictionless table and sticking to it. The question asks for the angular speed at which the bar/clay system rotates about its center of mass after the impact. The conversation includes equations such as the parallel axis theorem and the attempt at a solution which involves calculating the angular momentum of the system before and after the impact. The final answer is 5.743 rad/s.
americanforest

Homework Statement

http://loncapa2.physics.sc.edu/res/msu/physicslib/msuphysicslib/21_Rot3_AngMom_Roll/graphics/prob21a_bar.gif

On a frictionless table, a glob of clay of mass 0.38 kg strikes a bar of mass 0.90 kg perpendicularly at a point 0.55 m from the center of the bar and sticks to it. If the bar is 1.30 m long and the clay is moving at 8.1 m/s before striking the bar, at what angular speed does the bar/clay system rotate about its center of mass after the impact?

Homework Equations

[tex]L_i=RXP=I\omega[/tex]

[tex]cm_[new]=\frac{all m*d}{total mass}[/tex]

Parallel Axis Theorem

The Attempt at a Solution

M is mass of rod and m is mass of glob.

[tex]L_i=RXP=mvb=1.6929[/tex]

[tex]L_f=I_{glob}\omega+I_{rod}\omega[/tex]

[tex]\delta=distance from old cm to new cm[/tex]

[tex]\delta=\frac{mb}{m+M}=.1633 m[/tex]

[tex]I_{glob}=m(b-\delta)^2[/tex]

[tex]I_{rod}=\frac{M(L)^2}{12}+M\delta^2[/tex]

[tex]L_i=L_f[/tex]

I get 8.15 rad/s which is wrong, the right answer is 5.743. What did I do wrong?

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
americanforest said:
[tex]L_i=RXP=mvb=1.6929[/tex]
This is the angular momentum of the blob about the center of the bar. What you need is the angular momentum about the center of mass of the system--that is the quantity that is conserved.

So I should have [tex]L_i=mv(b-\delta)[/tex] ?

Thanks, I got it.

Last edited:

FAQ: Calculating Angular Speed of a Bar/Glob System After Impact

1. What is Angular Speed?

Angular speed is a measure of how fast an object is rotating or moving in a circular path. It is typically expressed in radians per second or degrees per second.

2. How is Angular Speed different from Linear Speed?

Angular speed is a measure of how fast an object is rotating, while linear speed is a measure of how fast an object is moving in a straight line. Angular speed takes into account the distance from the center of rotation, while linear speed does not.

3. What is a Glob in relation to Angular Speed and a Rod?

A glob refers to a small, spherical object that is typically attached to the end of a rod or stick. In the context of angular speed and a rod, the glob represents the object that is rotating around a fixed point, with the rod acting as the axis of rotation.

4. How is Angular Speed related to Centripetal Force?

Angular speed and centripetal force are directly related. As the angular speed of an object increases, the centripetal force required to keep it moving in a circular path also increases. This is because faster angular speed means the object is covering a larger distance in the same amount of time, requiring a stronger force to keep it on its path.

5. How can Angular Speed be calculated?

Angular speed can be calculated by dividing the angle through which an object rotates by the time it takes to complete one rotation. This can be expressed as angular speed = angle/time. Angular speed can also be calculated by dividing the linear speed of the object by the distance from the center of rotation, or by using the formula angular speed = 2π/period, where period is the time it takes for one full rotation.

Back