Calculating Energy Transfer Efficiency in Electric Motors

In summary, the conversation revolves around calculating the energy transfer from an electromagnet that consumes 12W of electricity to a mechanical rotation. The factors needed to build up the equation include power in and power out, energy losses, and magnetic forces within the motor. The individual wants to study and understand the inner workings of an electric motor and is interested in designing one from scratch. They also inquire about the efficiency of existing motors and the use of computer programs to calculate magnetic forces.
DreamChaser77
Hallo,

I want to calculate energy transfer from an electromagnet that consumes 12W of electricity that's about 12J/S of energy transferred to: A. a non-magnetic rotor shaft( Do I have to include the magnetic field information?)
B. permanent magnet rotor shaft

* Electric energy > Mechanical energy transfer calculation please*

Could you relate this to the formula W = F x D? On both rotors?

Detailed answers required please!

Best Regards,

Dream,

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
How did you determine that 12W of electricity equates to 720J of energy transferred?

How should there be a difference between the magnetic and non-magnetic rotors?

Is this related to a homework question? If so, what is the question precisely?

NascentOxygen said:
How did you determine that 12W of electricity equates to 720J of energy transferred?

How should there be a difference between the magnetic and non-magnetic rotors?

Is this related to a homework question? If so, what is the question precisely?

Sorry for that mistake I adjusted it and fixed it...
The question is not homework related I'm trying to calculate "work" transfer from one form A(ELECTRICITY) to B(MECHANICAL).
I find permanent magnets being more efficient then others.

Motors with a wound rotor would ultimately be less energy efficient than one using industry's best permanent magnets for the rotor field. There may be other criteria apart from efficiency that must be taken into consideration.

NascentOxygen said:
Motors with a wound rotor would ultimately be less energy efficient than one using industry's best permanent magnets for the rotor field. There may be other criteria apart from efficiency that must be taken into consideration.

Thats what I thought! Permanent magnets are highly efficient for this system and could transfer the energy well. However, calculating this transfer is what I desire could you build up this formula/equation?

NascentOxygen said:

Makes sense why it would be more efficient to. What are the other criteria's considered?

Momento said:
Thats what I thought! Permanent magnets are highly efficient for this system and could transfer the energy well. However, calculating this transfer is what I desire could you build up this formula/equation?

Um, I guess you and I are in the same spot huh?

You are not asking the right questions here, which suggests that you have a very shaky grasp of what is needed to tackle this exercise. It is not possible to work out what you are seeking, based on what you have provided.

To determine efficiency, you need to know both power in and power out. Nowhere have you made any mention of the load the motor is driving. There's a rotational motion equation you must commit to memory, see: http://www.me.mtu.edu/~wjendres/ProductRealization1Course/DC_Motor_Calculations.pdf

NascentOxygen said:
You are not asking the right questions here, which suggests that you have a very shaky grasp of what is needed to tackle this exercise. It is not possible to work out what you are seeking, based on what you have provided.

To determine efficiency, you need to know both power in and power out. Nowhere have you made any mention of the load the motor is driving. There's a rotational motion equation you must commit to memory, see: http://www.me.mtu.edu/~wjendres/ProductRealization1Course/DC_Motor_Calculations.pdf

I don't want to calculate efficiency alone. I'd like to calculate the exact energy transfer from point A"Electricity" to point B "Mechanical rotation" what factors do I have to look at to do so

I understand energy "IN" is one of the factors what are else? all the factors in the system.

Thanks for that link really good stuff!

Are you talking about the various energy losses? If not, then I don't know what you mean.

NascentOxygen said:
Are you talking about the various energy losses? If not, then I don't know what you mean.

Isn't energy being converted from electricity to mechanical energy?

Look at it this way: I have a motor inside of it is an electromagnet that consumes electricity "INPUT" that creates and magnetic field that attracts/repels that rotor in the motor that produces rotation or mechanical rotation "OUTPUT".

I want to calculate that energy conversion listed above.

What factors do I need to build up the equation?

Unless you are doing a simple conservation of energy relation (Ein = Eout + loss), this isn't something can be easily done. You'd need to calculate the magnetic forces within the motor, which requires a computer model to do with any kind of accuracy.

What are you trying to accomplish with this? From your other thread, it sounds like you want to try to design a motor from scratch, which doesn't seem like a useful thing to do, even if it was something you could do well. It sounded from your other thread like you are trying to solve a problem (low efficiency in existing motors) that doesn't exist.

russ_watters said:
Unless you are doing a simple conservation of energy relation (Ein = Eout + loss), this isn't something can be easily done. You'd need to calculate the magnetic forces within the motor, which requires a computer model to do with any kind of accuracy.

What are you trying to accomplish with this? From your other thread, it sounds like you want to try to design a motor from scratch, which doesn't seem like a useful thing to do, even if it was something you could do well. It sounded from your other thread like you are trying to solve a problem (low efficiency in existing motors) that doesn't exist.

I'm really trying to break down the electric motor and study everything in it! I do want to calculate everything. I'd like the calculate the magnetic forces within the motor and Ein = Eout + losses.

All in all I want to calculate every single step within the motor.
What program do I need to calculate the magnetic forces?
And yes I do want to build a motor from scratch I've already placed everything! Just need to do the math/physics before I send and build it.

One thing though what do you mean with the low efficiency? Didn't get that part.

If someones could add all the factors I need so I can start measuring and calculating it one by one then build up the final equation. One my confusions and main concerns is the magnetic fields... What programs,ways,etc... Can I calculate it?

So far I've found the equation for the magnetic forces within the motor.

How could I calculate "Ein = Eout + the losses"
(Electricity > Mechanical conversion)

Related to Calculating Energy Transfer Efficiency in Electric Motors

1. What is energy transfer?

Energy transfer is the process by which energy is transferred from one object or system to another.

2. How is energy transfer calculated?

Energy transfer can be calculated by multiplying the force applied to an object by the distance it moves in the direction of that force. This is known as work, and it is measured in joules (J).

3. What are some examples of energy transfer?

Some examples of energy transfer include a person pushing a shopping cart, a battery powering a phone, and the sun's energy heating the Earth's surface.

4. What is the law of conservation of energy?

The law of conservation of energy states that energy cannot be created or destroyed, only transferred or converted from one form to another. This means that the total amount of energy in a closed system remains constant.

5. How does energy transfer relate to everyday life?

Energy transfer is essential for everyday life as it allows us to do work, power our homes and devices, and sustain life on Earth. Understanding and managing energy transfer is crucial for creating a sustainable and efficient future.