Calculating Entropy & Enthalpy: SRK, Wilson, Antoine & Clausius-Clapeyron

In summary: I'm not sure my examples In the 4th edition correspond to yours. 13.7 involves NaOH solutions, and 13.5 involves a LiCl solution.
FoFi_Olli
I would like to calculate the entropy or enthalpies (steam, specific and inner energy) using the SRK [suave-redlich-kwong] equation, the Wilson approximation and (if necessary) the Antoine equation. and the Clausius-Clapeyron equation for a mixture of 0.199 mol/l nitrogen and 0.811 mol/l carbon dioxide. The critical mixture parameters (critical point) as well as the enthalpies (specific, internal and evaporation) at 50 bar pressure and 150 bar pressure and at a constant 288.15 K are to be calculated in order to then form the difference to find out how much energy , preferably in the wet steam area, can be stored.

I am a little bit stuck. Now I try to find out which A-factors to use when (SRK, Wilson, ...). Is the a-factor of wilson only useable for mixtures and only for liquids?

Science news on Phys.org
FoFi_Olli said:
I would like to calculate the entropy or enthalpies (steam, specific and inner energy) using the SRK [suave-redlich-kwong] equation, the Wilson approximation and (if necessary) the Antoine equation. and the Clausius-Clapeyron equation for a mixture of 0.199 mol/l nitrogen and 0.811 mol/l carbon dioxide. The critical mixture parameters (critical point) as well as the enthalpies (specific, internal and evaporation) at 50 bar pressure and 150 bar pressure and at a constant 288.15 K are to be calculated in order to then form the difference to find out how much energy , preferably in the wet steam area, can be stored.

I am a little bit stuck. Now I try to find out which A-factors to use when (SRK, Wilson, ...). Is the a-factor of wilson only useable for mixtures and only for liquids?
Everything you want to do is discussed in detail in Ch. 14 of Smith and Van Ness, Introduction to Chemical Engineering Thermodynamics.

Last edited:
Likes FoFi_Olli
I thank You a lot. :smile:
It had to come to that point, that I tried to figure out the right way with the CHat-GPT. :biggrin:
Do you mean CH. 13 of the eighth version?

I give the Examples 13.5 and 13.7 of the eighth edition a try. In table 13.7 we can see how far the enthalpy and entropy calculated with the R/K-Equation differs from the S/R/K-Equation.

It is a lot more difficult, but i have to do it with the SRK-Eq. and therefore:
Is it possible to start with the calculation of the critical point of the mixture VLE (example 13.7) to get the factors I need and then to continue like in example 13.5 to get the enthalpy of the mixture?
My aim is to calculate the latent energy stored from one pressure point of 50 bar to another pressure point of 150 bar.

And three less important last questions:
What is the Modified Raoult’s Law and what ist the Modified Henry's Law for? Are they still subkritical? Could the Modified Raoult’s Law possibly be a more easy solution or does it not fit the problems ?

Chestermiller said:
Everything you want to do is discussed in detail in Ch. 14 of Smith and Van Ness, Introduction to Chemical Engineering Thermodynamics.
Hello Mr. Chestermiller,

i would be very grateful if you could answer the questions, since i am still stuck in the calculation and especially in the order of the calculation steps :)

thanks in advance
Olli Meyer

FoFi_Olli said:
I thank You a lot. :smile:
It had to come to that point, that I tried to figure out the right way with the CHat-GPT. :biggrin:
Do you mean CH. 13 of the eighth version?

I give the Examples 13.5 and 13.7 of the eighth edition a try. In table 13.7 we can see how far the enthalpy and entropy calculated with the R/K-Equation differs from the S/R/K-Equation.
I have the 4th edition.
FoFi_Olli said:
It is a lot more difficult, but i have to do it with the SRK-Eq. and therefore:
Is it possible to start with the calculation of the critical point of the mixture VLE (example 13.7) to get the factors I need and then to continue like in example 13.5 to get the enthalpy of the mixture?
My aim is to calculate the latent energy stored from one pressure point of 50 bar to another pressure point of 150 bar.
I'm not sure my examples In the 4th edition correspond to yours. 13.7 involves NaOH solutions, and 13.5 involves a LiCl solution.
FoFi_Olli said:
And three less important last questions:
What is the Modified Raoult’s Law and what ist the Modified Henry's Law for? Are they still subkritical? Could the Modified Raoult’s Law possibly be a more easy solution or does it not fit the problems ?
Sections on this in 4th edition are in Chapter 12.

Chestermiller said:
I have the 4th edition.

I'm not sure my examples In the 4th edition correspond to yours. 13.7 involves NaOH solutions, and 13.5 involves a LiCl solution.

Sections on this in 4th edition are in Chapter 12.

Hello again,
I want to figure out which chapters you are refering to.
Can You please post a screenshot of the chapters or name the titels of the given and important chapters?!
Bellow is a screenshot of the 8th version.

1683119560557.png

have a nice day and thanks in advance
Olli Meyer

FAQ: Calculating Entropy & Enthalpy: SRK, Wilson, Antoine & Clausius-Clapeyron

What is the SRK equation and how is it used in calculating entropy and enthalpy?

The SRK (Soave-Redlich-Kwong) equation is an equation of state used to predict the behavior of gases and liquids. It is an improvement over the Redlich-Kwong equation and is particularly useful for calculating the thermodynamic properties of substances, such as entropy and enthalpy, especially in the context of non-ideal gases. The SRK equation helps in determining the fugacity and phase equilibrium, which are crucial for entropy and enthalpy calculations.

How does the Wilson equation assist in calculating enthalpy and entropy?

The Wilson equation is used to model the excess Gibbs free energy of mixtures, which is essential for understanding non-ideal behavior in liquid mixtures. By providing activity coefficients, the Wilson equation helps in calculating the enthalpy and entropy of mixing. It is particularly useful in the chemical and process engineering fields for designing separation processes like distillation and extraction.

What is the Antoine equation and how is it applied in these calculations?

The Antoine equation is an empirical correlation that relates the vapor pressure of a pure substance to its temperature. It is widely used to estimate the vapor pressures of liquids, which are necessary for phase equilibrium calculations. Knowing the vapor pressure at different temperatures allows for the estimation of enthalpy of vaporization and entropy changes during phase transitions.

How does the Clausius-Clapeyron equation relate to entropy and enthalpy changes?

The Clausius-Clapeyron equation describes the relationship between the temperature and pressure of a substance during a phase transition, such as from liquid to vapor. It is used to calculate the enthalpy of vaporization (or other phase changes) and can also provide insights into entropy changes. By knowing the slope of the phase boundary on a P-T diagram, one can estimate these thermodynamic properties.

Can these equations be used together for more accurate calculations of entropy and enthalpy?

Yes, these equations can be used in conjunction to provide more accurate and comprehensive calculations of entropy and enthalpy. For instance, the SRK equation can be used to model the behavior of non-ideal gases, the Wilson equation can handle liquid mixtures, the Antoine equation can provide vapor pressures, and the Clausius-Clapeyron equation can relate phase changes to temperature and pressure. Together, they offer a robust framework for thermodynamic calculations in various conditions and systems.

Back