Calculating Force Between Two Blocks on a Frictionless Surface

• Thread starter danishtanwar
  • Start date
In summary, the force between two blocks of mass m1=2 kg and m2=1 kg is F=3N, and the force would be in the opposite direction if the masses were reversed.
danishtanwar
hi, I am trying to figure out how to approach this question. i know its a relatively simple problem, but i just need to do the setup appropriately.
two blocks of m1=2 kg and m2=1 kg are in contact on a horizontal frictionless surface in the respective order, left to right. A force of F=3N is applied to m1, towards the right. Calculate the magnitude 'f' between the two blocks. Also, find the magnitude if the force was applied in the opposite direction.
Please help me get started with the setup for this question. Thanks!

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
hi everyone,
the problem is a simple one as danishtanwar said. Though I have an explanation, I am not quite sure if it is right because I created it myself. And the action-reaction law seems to invalidate my result. Here is my calculation.
First, Newton's second law for the whole system gives:
F=(m1+m2)a
Let a1 be the acceleration of m1 if it were alone, i.e., no m2 and the F is the same. Then:
F=m1*a1
In the system with 2 masses, m1 and m2, the acceleration of both masses is a. As the acceleration of m1 is also a, there must be a force acting in opposite direction of the given F, i.e., to the left. This force is the reaction force of m2 on m1. That force is the 'f' danishtanwar gave. Looking at only the mass m1, summation of all forces acting on m1 is :
F - f, and this equals m1*a.
F - f = m1*a
Solving for f, I get
f = F - m1*a
Plugging in F, I get: f = m2*a, as desired.
Can somebody please confirm or disprove my derivation?
Thanks

that actually helped, i was able to draw the right diagram for it
except, the formula at the end can be simplified a bit more
It would be: a=f/m2
Then combining it with your formula we have F-f = (m1/m2)*f
And finally f = (F*m2)/(m1+m2)
I checked and the results make sense, Thanks a lot!

Last edited:

FAQ: Calculating Force Between Two Blocks on a Frictionless Surface

1. What is one-dimensional locomotion?

One-dimensional locomotion is the movement of an object along a single axis, typically represented as a straight line. This type of movement is limited to one direction and does not involve any lateral or rotational movements.

2. What are some examples of one-dimensional locomotion?

Examples of one-dimensional locomotion include the movement of a car along a straight road, the motion of a pendulum swinging back and forth, and the motion of a rolling ball on a flat surface.

3. How is one-dimensional locomotion different from two-dimensional or three-dimensional locomotion?

One-dimensional locomotion is different from two-dimensional or three-dimensional locomotion because it is limited to movement along a single axis, while two-dimensional and three-dimensional locomotion involve movement along multiple axes. This means that one-dimensional locomotion is typically simpler and easier to analyze mathematically.

4. What are the advantages of studying one-dimensional locomotion?

Studying one-dimensional locomotion allows scientists to better understand the fundamental principles of motion and apply them to more complex systems. It also helps in the development of mathematical models and equations that can be used to predict and analyze the behavior of objects in motion.

5. How does one-dimensional locomotion relate to other areas of science?

One-dimensional locomotion is closely related to the study of mechanics, which is a branch of physics that deals with the motion and behavior of objects. It also has applications in fields such as engineering, robotics, and biology, where understanding how objects move in one dimension is important for designing and analyzing systems and processes.

Back