Calculating Force on a Golf Ball when Putting on a Level Green

• I
  • Thread starter ashmoney
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Force
ashmoney
I'm looking for advice on how to calculate the force needed to putt a golf ball on a level green a certain distance. I currently have the mass of the golf ball (45.93g), distance (3.048m), and the rolling coefficient of friction using a stimpmeter reading. I have started by creating a free body diagram and using Newton's second law (F=ma), but I am so unsure of where to go from here to include the required distance into this equation.

Physics news on Phys.org
ashmoney said:
I'm looking for advice on how to calculate the force needed to putt a golf ball on a level green a certain distance. I currently have the mass of the golf ball (45.93g), distance (3.048m), and the rolling coefficient of friction using a stimpmeter reading. I have started by creating a free body diagram and using Newton's second law (F=ma), but I am so unsure of where to go from here to include the required distance into this equation.
It's not force you need, it's the initial impulse, which is (average) force by time to give you the initial momentum from the initial sudden acceleration phase.

The force of rolling friction/resistance is relevant for the deceleration phase.

Likes jbriggs444

Related to Calculating Force on a Golf Ball when Putting on a Level Green

What is the basic formula for calculating the force needed to putt a golf ball on a level green?

The basic formula for calculating the force required to putt a golf ball on a level green is derived from Newton's second law of motion, F = ma, where F is the force, m is the mass of the golf ball, and a is the acceleration needed to reach the hole. Additionally, factors such as friction and the distance to the hole must be considered.

How does the friction of the green affect the force needed to putt the golf ball?

The friction of the green, often referred to as the "stimp" or "stimp rating," significantly affects the force needed. Higher friction (slower greens) requires more force to overcome the resistance, while lower friction (faster greens) requires less force. The frictional force can be calculated using F_friction = μN, where μ is the coefficient of friction and N is the normal force (weight of the ball).

How do you determine the acceleration needed to putt the golf ball to a specific distance?

The acceleration needed to putt the golf ball can be determined using kinematic equations. For a golf ball, the equation d = v_i * t + 0.5 * a * t^2 can be simplified, assuming initial velocity (v_i) is zero. Rearranging for acceleration (a), we get a = 2d / t^2, where d is the distance to the hole and t is the time it takes for the ball to reach the hole.

What role does the mass of the golf ball play in calculating the force?

The mass of the golf ball is a crucial factor in calculating the force. According to Newton's second law, F = ma, the force is directly proportional to the mass. For a standard golf ball with a mass of approximately 0.04593 kg, the mass must be multiplied by the required acceleration to determine the force.

How can environmental factors, such as wind, affect the force calculation when putting?

Environmental factors like wind can affect the force calculation by introducing additional forces that act on the golf ball. While putting on a level green, wind can either aid or resist the ball's motion, requiring adjustments to the calculated force. The net force would be the sum of the calculated putting force and the wind force, which can be estimated based on wind speed and direction.