Calculating Force on a Vertical Wire Rope with 20kg Weight

In summary, the conversation is discussing the maximum force exerted on a wire rope with a 20kg weight attached to it, when the weight is lifted 1 meter and let go. The formulas being considered are potential energy, elastic potential energy, impulse, and tension. The correct approach is to use energy conservation, solving for the stretch of the rope and then using the elastic stretch formula to calculate the maximum force.
DJT1967
OK here goes...

I have a 20kg weight attached to a 10 meter long wire rope.
The rope is fixed vertically to a cross beam.
The rope has an elastic stretch limit of 47.5 kN/mm^2.
If I lift the 20kg weight up 1 meter and then let it go what would the maximum force exerted by weight be on the wire rope?

It's been a very very long time since I studied Newton so forgive me if I'm barking loudly up the wrong tree!

I started of with Potential Energy = Mass X Gravity X Height but this didn't seem to cut the mustard so I then went for:

Elastic Potential Energy = 1/2 x (k Spring Constant) x (L Spring Length)^2

But I'm not sure if this is the correct equation to use...

Impulse = (Mass x Velocity Initial) - (Mass x Velocity Final)

Which again doesn't seem right but maybe I'm getting confused...

Tension = Mass x Gravity x SQRT(2xHeight/Length Increase)

So I have a selection of formulas that I think I should be using but I don't think I have the correct data to complete the formulas.

So this is what I came up with but I don't really know if I'm going along the right lines or not.

Velocity = sqrt 2 x9.81x1 = 4.429446918 m/s
Potential Energy = 20x9.81x1 = 196.2 Joules
Momentum = 20 x 4.429446918 = 88.58893836kg m /s
Force = Change in Momentum / Time = 88.58893836 / 0.1 Second = 885.8893836

So just how far wide of the mark am I?

Attachments

• WEIGHT.JPG
    WEIGHT.JPG
    21.7 KB · Views: 359
Physics news on Phys.org
Use energy conservation, no need for momentum considerations here. The gravitational potential energy (h = 1m + x) at the top goes to elastic potential energy at the bottom (the rope stretches by x). Solve for x then put x into the elastic stretch formula to get the force.

I appreciate your efforts to solve this problem and your use of various equations to approach it. However, the correct equation to use in this case would be the formula for elastic potential energy, as the wire rope has an elastic stretch limit. This formula is as follows: Elastic Potential Energy = 1/2 x (k Spring Constant) x (L Spring Length)^2. In this case, the spring constant is the elastic stretch limit of 47.5 kN/mm^2 and the spring length is the change in length of the wire rope, which is 1 meter. So the potential energy would be 1/2 x 47.5 x (1)^2 = 23.75 kJ.

To find the maximum force exerted on the wire rope, we can use the formula for tension: Tension = Mass x Gravity x SQRT(2xHeight/Length Increase). In this case, the mass is 20kg, gravity is 9.81 m/s^2, height is 1 meter, and length increase is the same as the spring length, which is 1 meter. So the maximum tension would be 20 x 9.81 x SQRT(2x1/1) = 196.2 N.

It is important to note that this tension is the maximum force exerted on the wire rope, but it may not be the actual force experienced by the rope, as it depends on factors such as the strength and durability of the rope and the angle at which the weight is released. Further experimentation or calculations may be needed to determine the actual force experienced by the rope.

Related to Calculating Force on a Vertical Wire Rope with 20kg Weight

What is the formula for calculating force on a vertical wire rope with 20kg weight?

The formula for calculating force on a vertical wire rope with 20kg weight is F = mg, where F is the force in Newtons, m is the mass in kilograms, and g is the gravitational acceleration constant (9.8 m/s²).

How do I determine the mass of the wire rope in the calculation?

The mass of the wire rope can be determined by weighing it using a scale or by referencing the manufacturer's specifications. It is important to use the total mass of the wire rope, including any attachments or accessories.

What is the gravitational acceleration constant and why is it important in this calculation?

The gravitational acceleration constant, denoted by g, represents the acceleration due to gravity on Earth. It is important in this calculation because it is the force that pulls objects towards the Earth's surface and affects the weight of the object.

What is the unit of measurement for force in this calculation?

The unit of measurement for force in this calculation is Newtons (N). This is a standard unit of force in the International System of Units (SI).

Can this formula be used for wire ropes with different weights?

Yes, this formula can be used for wire ropes with different weights as long as the unit of measurement for mass is consistent (kilograms) and the gravitational acceleration constant is used for the specific location where the calculation is being made.