Calculating Galvanometer Current in Potentiometer Circuit | 2.0V Driver Cell

In summary, the conversation is about a question regarding a potentiometer used to find the emf of a Daniel cell. The conversation also discusses the calculation of current through the galvanometer when the sliding contact is moved to different ends of the slide wire. The calculation involves the use of the 2.0kΩ series resistor and the difference in emfs between the Daniel cell and the driver cell. The final part of the conversation suggests drawing a schematic of the circuit to better understand the concept.
cheah10
Hi, I have a question which goes like this:
There is a potentiometer consisting of a 2.0V driver cell, slide wire and galvanometer with a 2.0kΩ series resistor used to find the emf of a Daniel cell. The emf of the Daniel cell is found to be 1.08 V.

Now, approximately what current flows through the galvanometer if the protective resistor is in use and the sliding contact is moved to
(i) one end
(ii) the other end
of the slide wire?
(The resistances of the galvanometer and of the cells may be neglected)

The answers my teacher gave me are
(i) I=V/R
=1.08/2000
= 0.54 A
(ii) I=(E-V)/R
=(2.0-1.08)/2000
=0.46x10^3 A

My problem is that I don't understand why in (i), current=(voltage of Daniel cell)/(resistance of the protective resistor) and in (ii) the similar doubt. Can anyone explain to me? Thanks in advance! :smile:

Physics news on Phys.org
In the first instance the galvanometer is connected back to the Daniel cell. So its emf determines the current through the galvanometer. In the second instance the two emfs oppose each other so their difference determines the driving voltage for the current through the galvanometer. Best to make a drawing with the sliding contact first on the same side as the Daniel cell and then another drawing with the sliding contact at the other end of the wire.

ok but the thing is, isn't it that the galvanometer and the 2.0kΩ resistor are on different branches? then why does the calculation involve the 2.0kΩ resistance?

cheah10 said:
ok but the thing is, isn't it that the galvanometer and the 2.0kΩ resistor are on different branches? then why does the calculation involve the 2.0kΩ resistance?
Please attach a neat schematic of the circuit you are discussing.

Galvanometer protection

This is for the 2nd case. The two cells oppose each other. The difference in their emfs will drive the current.

Attachments

• Daniel cell.jpg
    Daniel cell.jpg
    15.2 KB · Views: 447
Basic_Physics said:
This is for the 2nd case. The two cells oppose each other. The difference in their emfs will drive the current.
It was cheah10 who I was asking to post his schematic.

I got that yes, but I don't think the student knows what the circuit looks like. I was trying to make the knowledge step smaller. It seems the students needs more help than in the past.

Basic_Physics said:
I got that yes, but I don't think the student knows what the circuit looks like. I was trying to make the knowledge step smaller. It seems the students needs more help than in the past.
By being encouraged to come up with the circuit it is quite likely the OP would have discovered he could answer his own question after all. If spoonfed, s/he is deprived of that valuable learning opportunity.

Quite possibly they were hoping to arrive at the answer without even drawing a schematic.

Related to Calculating Galvanometer Current in Potentiometer Circuit | 2.0V Driver Cell

1. What is a potentiometer and how does it work?

A potentiometer, also known as a variable resistor, is an electrical component that can change its resistance value. It works by having a resistive element, such as a track of carbon, and a moving contact that can slide along the track. As the contact moves, the resistance between the contact and the end of the track changes, allowing for a variable output.

2. What are the common problems with potentiometers?

The most common problems with potentiometers include worn out resistive element, dirty or damaged contacts, and faulty wiring connections. These issues can cause inaccurate or unstable readings, or even complete failure of the potentiometer.

3. How can I troubleshoot a potentiometer problem?

The first step in troubleshooting a potentiometer problem is to check the wiring connections and make sure they are secure. Next, clean the contacts and the resistive element with rubbing alcohol and a cotton swab. If the issue persists, the potentiometer may need to be replaced.

4. Can a potentiometer be repaired?

In some cases, a potentiometer can be repaired by replacing the resistive element or the contacts. However, this requires some knowledge of electronics and the proper tools. In most cases, it is more cost-effective to replace the potentiometer entirely.

5. How do I choose the right potentiometer for my application?

To choose the right potentiometer, you need to consider the resistance range, power rating, and physical size of the component. You should also consider the type of potentiometer (linear or logarithmic), the number of turns, and the tolerance. It is best to consult an electronics expert or refer to a potentiometer datasheet for specific application requirements.

Back