Calculating Magnitudes and Ratios of Position Vectors on a Line

In summary, the equation r = 2i + 3j + λ(i + 4j) represents a line on which points A, B, and C lie with position vectors given by λ=-1, λ=1, and λ=2 respectively. The magnitude of AB is the square root of 17 while the magnitude of BC is the square root of 20. Part b) asks for the ratio between the lengths of AB and BC.
pavadrin
Points A, B and C lie on the line r = 2i + 3j + λ(i + 4j) and have position vectors given by λ=-1, λ=1 and λ=2 respectively.
Find a) AB
b) AB:BC
The answer for part a is the square root of 17 (in exact form) however I keep getting the suare root of 20.
Here is what I am doing:
OB = 3i – j and OC = 5i – 5j
BC= BO + OC
BC= -(3i – j) + (5i – 5j)
BC= 2i – 4j
Therefore the magnitude of BC = square root of 20
As for part b, I’m not sure what it’s asking me to do
Thanks
Pavadrin

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
pavadrin said:
Points A, B and C lie on the line r = 2i + 3j + λ(i + 4j) and have position vectors given by λ=-1, λ=1 and λ=2 respectively.
Find a) AB
b) AB:BC
The answer for part a is the square root of 17 (in exact form) however I keep getting the suare root of 20.
Here is what I am doing:
OB = 3i – j and OC = 5i – 5j
BC= BO + OC
BC= -(3i – j) + (5i – 5j)
BC= 2i – 4j
Therefore the magnitude of BC = square root of 20
As for part b, I’m not sure what it’s asking me to do
Thanks
Pavadrin

I don't get it. The first part is asking for the magnitude of AB, yet you seem to be working out the magnitude of BC?:confused:

In any case, your position vectors for both OB and OC are wrong. How did you do that? All you have to do is substitute the given values of λ into the equation to get the position vectors.

Maybe I think it'd be better if you showed full working on how you get OA, OB and OC, because the first part is simple algebra.

Part b) AB:BC is simply asking you to find the ratio between the lengths of the two line segments AB and BC. All you have to do is find |AB|, |BC| then take the ratio (I get two).

sorry, it was meant to say the magnitude of BC, not AB. I have solved this now, so there's no need to worry bout it. As for part b), thanks for clearing that piont up, i should be able to work from here, otherwise i will re-post asking fro help
thanks

FAQ: Calculating Magnitudes and Ratios of Position Vectors on a Line

What is a vector equation of a line?

A vector equation of a line is a way to represent a line in three-dimensional space using a vector and a point on the line. It can be written as r = a + tb, where r is a position vector, a is a known point on the line, t is a scalar parameter, and b is a vector parallel to the line.

How is a vector equation of a line different from a parametric equation?

A vector equation of a line is a specific type of parametric equation that uses vectors instead of coordinates. It is often used in three-dimensional space, while a parametric equation can be used in any number of dimensions.

What information do you need to write a vector equation of a line?

To write a vector equation of a line, you need the coordinates of a known point on the line and a vector that is parallel to the line. This vector can be found by taking the difference between two points on the line or by using the direction ratios of the line.

Can a vector equation of a line be used to find the distance between a point and the line?

Yes, a vector equation of a line can be used to find the shortest distance between a point and the line. This can be done by finding the perpendicular distance from the point to the line.

How can a vector equation of a line be used to find the intersection of two lines?

To find the intersection of two lines using their vector equations, you can set the two equations equal to each other and solve for the scalar parameters. This will give you the point of intersection in vector form.