Calculating Time Constant for Series Inductor and Resistor

In summary, the time constant of a 2mh inductor and a 200 ohm resistor connected in series is 0.01 seconds. This was found using the equation TC = L/R, with L being 0.002 H and R being 200 ohms.
swampland

Homework Statement

What is the time constant of a 2mh inductor and a 200 ohm resistor connected in series?

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

Physics news on Phys.org
swampland said:

Homework Statement

What is the time constant of a 2mh inductor and a 200 ohm resistor connected in series?

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

Would you like to say attempt anything to do with the problem, or would you just like the answer?

Hello LowlyPion, Could you please explain how i can solve the problem?

Hi swampland,

I would start with figuring out section 2 for your original post. What equation do you think is relevant to finding the time constant of a resistor/inductor series circuit?

Once you find that equation I think you'll see why filling out all parts of the posting template can be helpful to you, since finding the equation is the hardest part of this problem. What do you get?

Hello, I'am sorry but i am totally lost on this math, could you please do it and then explain it so i can get a idea of how you come up with the answer Thank You

swampland said:
Hello, I'am sorry but i am totally lost on this math, could you please do it and then explain it so i can get a idea of how you come up with the answer Thank You

No, this forum has clear rules, and one rule is that no one is allowed to do your homework for you.

Try to answer the question in my last post: what equation is used to find the time constant in a resistor/inductor circuit? Once you find that equation in your textbook, I think you'll find the math is not very hard at all.

alphysicist said:
No, this forum has clear rules, and one rule is that no one is allowed to do your homework for you.

Try to answer the question in my last post: what equation is used to find the time constant in a resistor/inductor circuit? Once you find that equation in your textbook, I think you'll find the math is not very hard at all. TC= L over R Is this the right formula??

Hello, Would the formula be TC= L over R ?

swampland said:
Hello, Would the formula be TC= L over R ?

That looks right to me. What did you get for the answer?

I came up with 1msec, That seem right?

swampland said:
I came up with 1msec, That seem right?

That's doesn't look right to me. You said the time constant was:

[tex]
\tau = \frac{L}{R}
[/tex]

where L=2 mH and and R =200 ohms. Are you getting 1 msec=0.001 second from this?

If so, are you converting the inductance correctly? What number are you putting in your calculator for L?

Related to Calculating Time Constant for Series Inductor and Resistor

What is the formula for ohm resistance?

The formula for ohm resistance is R = V/I, where R is resistance in ohms, V is voltage in volts, and I is current in amps.

How do I calculate ohm resistance?

To calculate ohm resistance, you need to know the voltage and current values and plug them into the formula R = V/I. Make sure to use the correct units for each value.

What is the unit of measurement for ohm resistance?

The unit of measurement for ohm resistance is the ohm (Ω), named after the German physicist Georg Ohm.

Can ohm resistance be negative?

No, ohm resistance cannot be negative. It is a measure of how much a material resists the flow of electricity and is always a positive value.

What factors can affect ohm resistance?

Several factors can affect ohm resistance, including the material the wire is made of, the length and thickness of the wire, and the temperature of the wire. In general, materials with higher resistance, longer wires, and thinner wires will have higher ohm resistance.