Calculating Time of Object Falling with Air Resistance and Horizontal Wind

In summary, the conversation discusses an object being released from a height and falling to the ground under gravity, with the additional factors of air resistance and horizontal wind velocity. The equation of motion is given as dv/dt = -g+ k/m(w-v) and the question is how to find the expression for the time T it takes for the object to reach the ground. The suggestion of using an integrating factor is brought up, with the specific suggestion of I=exp(kt/m), and there is some confusion about how to use it to solve for v(t).
captainjack2000
Object mass m released from height h falls to ground under gravity. There is air resistance and a horizontal wind of velocity w so that if the velocity of object is v total force on it due to its passage through air is k(w-v) where k>0. Find an expression for time T object takes to reach ground?

Equation of motion: dv/dt = -g+ k/m(w-v)

could someone show me how to start this? Am I meant to take an integrating factor
I= e^(k/m) and integrate it wrt to t? If so how do I integrate it?

Physics news on Phys.org
I am a bit concerned about the fact that the wind is horizontal but you are treating the force as if it were entirely vertical. Are you sure you are not supposed to separate into horizontal and vertical components? If you haven't been working with components of vector, that probably not what is intended so don't worry about it.
Your equation of motion is dv/dt= -g+ k/m(w- v)= -g+ (k/m) w- (k/m) v. If you write it as dv/dt+ (k/m)v= (k/m)w- g does it make more sense? Can you find an integrating factor, [itex]\nu(t)[/itex] that makes [itex]\nu(dv/dt+ (k/m)v) = d(\nu v)/dt[/itex]?

I have no idea what you mean by "an integrating factor I= e^(k/m)". An integrating factor is a function of t! What formula do you have for the integrating factor of a linear equation?

Sorry the integrating factor was meant to say I=exp(kt/m)
do I then write (dv/dt)exp(kt/m) + exp(kt/m)(k/m)v = (k/m)wexp(kt/m)- gexp(kt/m) ?
Sorry I'm still confused how to solve for v(t) since I don't know how to rearrange this into a separable equation?

Well the whole point of an integrating factor is that
d(ekt/mv)/dt= ekt/mdv/dt+ (k/m)ekt/mv.

Your equation is the same as
d(ekt/m)/dt= [(k/m)w- g]ekt/m. Now integrate both sides with respect to t.

Related to Calculating Time of Object Falling with Air Resistance and Horizontal Wind

1. What is a differential equation?

A differential equation is a mathematical equation that relates a function with its derivatives. It describes the relationship between the rate of change of a variable and the value of the variable itself.

2. What are the applications of differential equations?

Differential equations are used to model various natural phenomena, such as population growth, motion of objects, and electrical circuits. They are also used in engineering, physics, economics, and many other fields.

3. What are the types of differential equations?

The main types of differential equations are ordinary differential equations (ODEs) and partial differential equations (PDEs). ODEs involve one independent variable, while PDEs involve multiple independent variables.

4. How are differential equations solved?

There are various methods for solving differential equations, depending on the type and complexity of the equation. Some common methods include separation of variables, substitution, and using integrating factors. Advanced techniques such as Laplace transforms and Fourier series can also be used.

5. Why are differential equations important?

Differential equations are important because they provide a powerful tool for understanding and predicting real-world phenomena. They allow us to describe and analyze complex systems and make predictions about their behavior. They are also essential in the development of mathematical models, which are used in various scientific and engineering applications.