Calculating Torque and Rotational Inertia for Opening a Heavy Door

In summary, the question is asking how much harder you would have to push to open a heavy door at the same speed if you pushed at a point 10 inches from the hinges instead of at the farthest edge. This can be determined by calculating the rotational inertia of the door and using the equation for torque, which includes the distance from the axis of rotation. The result is that pushing at a point closer to the hinges would require a greater force to achieve the same speed.
tymartin

Homework Statement

You need to open a heavy door that's 30 inches wide. Instictively, you push near the edge that's farthest from the hinges. If, instead, you had pushed at a point only 10 inches in from the hinges, how much harder would you have had to push to open the door at the same speed? Explain your answer.

Homework Equations

Here is my attempt at the problem below. I don't know where I'm making my mistake. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks.

The Attempt at a Solution

30 inches= .76 m
Mass of Door-14 kg

I=1/3 (14kg)(.25)2 Rotational Inertia
1/3(14)(.063) I=1/3M/2
1/3(.88) I=1/3 (14kg) (.58)
.29 1/3 (8.12)
2.7/.29=9.3

Physics news on Phys.org
Is it that hard?

Isn't the same Torque required to open the door? Meaning same I and same a?

So isn't the question what force acting at 1/3 the distance is needed to accomplish the same result?

Torque=Force x Distance

Torque at 30 inches= Force x .76m
Torque at 10 inches= Force x .25m

Since we want to open the door at the same speed, we can set the two torques equal to each other:

Force x .76m = Force x .25m

Solving for force, we get:

Force = (.25m/.76m) x Force = 0.33 x Force

Therefore, if we pushed at a point 10 inches from the hinges, we would have to apply 0.33 times the force compared to pushing at the edge farthest from the hinges. In other words, we would have to push with 3 times the force to achieve the same speed of opening the door. This is because the rotational inertia of the door is lower when pushing at a point closer to the hinges, so a smaller force is needed to achieve the same torque.

Related to Calculating Torque and Rotational Inertia for Opening a Heavy Door

1. How do you calculate torque for opening a heavy door?

To calculate torque for opening a heavy door, you need to multiply the force applied to the door by the distance from the pivot point (hinge) to the point where the force is applied. The formula for torque is T = F x d, where T is torque in Newton-meters (Nm), F is force in Newtons (N), and d is distance in meters (m).

2. What is rotational inertia and how does it affect opening a heavy door?

Rotational inertia, also known as moment of inertia, is the resistance of an object to changes in its rotational motion. In the case of opening a heavy door, the door's rotational inertia will affect how much torque is needed to open it. The higher the rotational inertia, the more torque is needed to overcome the door's inertia and open it.

3. How do you calculate rotational inertia for a heavy door?

The formula for rotational inertia is I = mr², where I is the moment of inertia, m is the mass of the object, and r is the distance from the object's center of mass to the axis of rotation. To calculate the rotational inertia for a heavy door, you need to know the mass of the door and the distance from the center of the door to the hinge.

4. Does the weight of the door affect the torque needed to open it?

Yes, the weight of the door does affect the torque needed to open it. The heavier the door, the more torque is needed to overcome its weight and rotate it around the hinge. This is why it can be more difficult to open a heavy door compared to a lighter one.

5. Are there any other factors that can affect the torque needed to open a heavy door?

Yes, there are other factors that can affect the torque needed to open a heavy door. These include the angle at which the force is applied, the condition of the hinges and door frame, and the coefficient of friction between the door and the floor. These factors can either increase or decrease the amount of torque needed to open the door.