Calculation for proportional mechanical solenoid Force

In summary, the conversation discusses the search for information on calculating proportional solenoid force using magnetic reluctance based on an equivalent magnetic circuit by networking method. The individual mentions reading a book on electromagnets and finding information on solenoid design using a search term. They are specifically looking for assistance in building an equivalent magnetic circuit for a proportional solenoid.
sk_astroman
TL;DR Summary
I'm looking for calculation for proportional solenoid force - reluctance method
I'm looking for calculation for proportional solenoid force (constant force for some working stroke) using magnetic reluctance based on equivalent magnetic circuit by networking method. I was reading a book Elektromangnate by Dr Kallenbach which discussed such method but for switching solenoid. Can anyone help me how this magnetic circuit can be built for proportional solenoid?

Physics news on Phys.org
I found a lot of good information using search term solenoid design. One hit, http://commons.princeton.edu/motorcycledesign/wp-content/uploads/sites/70/2018/07/solenoid.pdf, had this graph in it:
Solenoid.jpg

Does one of these curves describe what you are trying to accomplish?

• Informative
Likes berkeman
Thank you but i know the links you posted in the reply. Thank you!
But i am expecting building equivalent magnetic circuit for proportional solenoid with control cone geometry. if any one could help me on this topic. Thank you!

Last edited:

Related to Calculation for proportional mechanical solenoid Force

What is a proportional mechanical solenoid?

A proportional mechanical solenoid is a type of actuator that converts electrical energy into controlled mechanical movement. Unlike standard solenoids that operate in an on/off manner, proportional solenoids provide variable positioning and force output based on the input electrical signal.

How do you calculate the force generated by a proportional solenoid?

The force generated by a proportional solenoid can be calculated using the formula: F = (N * I)^2 * μ * A / (2 * g^2), where F is the force, N is the number of turns in the coil, I is the current, μ is the permeability of the core material, A is the cross-sectional area of the core, and g is the gap between the solenoid and the armature.

What factors affect the force output of a proportional solenoid?

Several factors affect the force output of a proportional solenoid, including the number of coil turns (N), the current passing through the coil (I), the permeability of the core material (μ), the cross-sectional area of the core (A), and the gap between the solenoid and the armature (g). Changes in any of these parameters will alter the force generated.

Why is the air gap important in solenoid force calculations?

The air gap (g) is crucial in solenoid force calculations because the force is inversely proportional to the square of the gap. A smaller air gap results in a significantly larger force, while a larger gap reduces the force. Therefore, precise control of the air gap is essential for accurate force output in proportional solenoids.

Can the force of a proportional solenoid be adjusted in real-time?

Yes, the force of a proportional solenoid can be adjusted in real-time by varying the input electrical signal, typically the current (I). By controlling the current, the solenoid can provide a range of force outputs, making it suitable for applications requiring precise control of mechanical movement.