Can 20(s - t) Be an Integer in a Quartic Equation with No Real Roots?

• MHB
  • Thread starter anemone
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Integer
In summary, the problem asks if $20(s-t)$ is an integer, given that the quartic equation $(x^2+20sx+10t)(x^2+20tx+10s)=0$ has no real roots. Through analyzing the discriminant and using calculus, it is shown that $20(s-t)$ cannot be an integer unless it is equal to 0. However, the problem states that $s\ne t$, therefore $20(s-t)$ cannot be an integer.
anemone
Gold Member
MHB
POTW Director
Hi MHB,

I don't know how to solve the problem below because I found what we are asked to prove is a bit confusing to me and hence I don't know how to formulate a credible way to solve the problem correctly.

Problem:

Let $s\ne t$ be real numbers. The equation $(x^2+20sx+10t)(x^2+20tx+10s)=0$ has no real roots.

State with reason, if $20(s-t)$ is or isn't an integer.

But one can tell if the quartic equation (which is given in factored form, a product of two quadratic functions) has no real roots, then the discriminant of each quadratic function is less than zero. i.e.

$(20s)^2-4(1)(10t)<0$ and $(20t)^2-4(1)(10s)<0$

Subtracting these two inequalities yields

$20(t-s)(10s+10t+1)<0$ or

$20(s-t)(10s+10t+1)>0$ (*)

By expanding the given equation we have

$x^4+20(s+t)x^3+10(s+2st+t)x^2+200(s^2+t^2)x+100ts=0$ (**)

I spent over an hour trying my best to see what relations that (*) and (**) have but I don't know how to go any further...could someone please help me, please?:)

Last edited:
Mathematics news on Phys.org
Re: Is 20(s-t) an integer?

anemone said:
Hi MHB,

I don't know how to solve the problem below because I found what we are asked to prove is a bit confusing to me and hence I don't know how to formulate a credible way to solve the problem correctly.

Problem:

Let $x\ne y$ be real numbers. The equation $(x^2+20sx+10t)(x^2+20tx+10s)=0$ has no real roots.

State with reason, if $20(s-t)$ is or isn't an integer.

But one can tell if the quartic equation (which is given in factored form, a product of two quadratic functions) has no real roots, then the discriminant of each quadratic function is less than zero. i.e.

$(20s)^2-4(1)(10t)<0$ and $(20t)^2-4(1)(10s)<0$
Those two inequalities say that $10s^2<t$ and $10t^2<s$. It follows that both $s$ and $t$ are positive. Take the square root of both sides in the second inequality, to get $\sqrt{10}t<\sqrt s.$ Therefore the point $(s,t)$ (and similarly the point $(t,s)$) must lie above the curve $y = 10x^2$ and below the curve $y = \sqrt{\dfrac x{10}}.$ Now use calculus to find the maximum value of $ \sqrt{\dfrac x{10}} - 10x^2.$ I found that the maximum occurs when $x = (16000)^{-1/3}$ and is equal to $\dfrac3{10(16)^{2/3}} \approx 0.04725.$ This is less than $1/20$, so it appears that $20(s-t)$ cannot be an integer.

Hi Opalg,

Thank you very much for your guidance in this problem. I appreciate your help!:)

My previous answer was only partially correct (in fact, it was wrong). It was correct to say that the point $(s,t)$ has to lie in the interior of the region between the curves $y = 10x^2$ and $y = \sqrt{\dfrac x{10}}$. But it was quite wrong to look at the greatest vertical separation between these curves. What we actually need to do is to maximise the difference $|s-t|$. To do that, we need to find where the point $(s,t)$ is as far as possible from the diagonal $y=x$ (the line where $|s-t| = 0$). The way to do that is to find where the tangent to one of the curves is parallel to the diagonal. So we need to differentiate $y=10x^2$ and put the derivative equal to $1$. That gives $20x=1$. So the point $\bigl(\frac1{20},\frac1{40}\bigr)$ lies on the curve, and its coordinates differ by $1/20$. That is the maximum possible difference for $|s-t|$, and it only occurs on the boundary curves. But the inequalities $10s^2<t$ and $10t^2<s$ are strict, so the point $(s,t)$ must lie in the interior of the region between the curves. For any such interior point we must have $|s-t|<1/20$. It follows that $20(s-t)$ cannot be an integer unless it is $0$. But the problem states that $s\ne t$ (actually, it says $x \ne y$ but since there is no $y$ in the problem I think that must be a misprint for $s\ne t$). Therefore $20(s-t)$ cannot be an integer.

Hi there,

To answer your question, yes, 20(s-t) is an integer. This is because in order for the discriminant of each quadratic function to be less than zero, the expression (20(s-t)) must be a real number. Since s and t are both real numbers, their difference (s-t) must also be a real number. And since 20 is a real number, the product of 20 and (s-t) must also be a real number, which means that 20(s-t) is an integer.

As for solving the problem, I would recommend approaching it in a different way. Instead of trying to find a relationship between (*) and (**), try to think about what would happen if 20(s-t) was not an integer. For example, if 20(s-t) was a fraction, then the product of (20s)^2 and (20t)^2 would not be less than 4(1)(10t) and 4(1)(10s), respectively. This would result in the discriminant of one of the quadratic functions being greater than or equal to zero, which would contradict the given information that the equation has no real roots.

I hope this helps! Let me know if you have any other questions.

Related to Can 20(s - t) Be an Integer in a Quartic Equation with No Real Roots?

1. What is the meaning of "s" and "t" in the expression 20(s-t)?

In this expression, "s" and "t" are variables that represent any real numbers. They can be positive or negative, whole numbers or decimals.

2. How do I determine if 20(s-t) is an integer?

In order for 20(s-t) to be an integer, the expression inside the parentheses (s-t) must evaluate to a whole number. This means that the difference between "s" and "t" must also be a whole number.

3. Can 20(s-t) be an integer if "s" and "t" are both decimals?

Yes, it is possible for 20(s-t) to be an integer if "s" and "t" are both decimals. As long as the difference between the two is a whole number, the expression will evaluate to an integer.

4. Is 20(s-t) an integer if "s" and "t" are both fractions?

Yes, 20(s-t) can still be an integer if "s" and "t" are both fractions. As long as the difference between the two fractions is a whole number, the expression will evaluate to an integer.

5. What does it mean if 20(s-t) is not an integer?

If 20(s-t) is not an integer, it means that the difference between "s" and "t" is not a whole number. This could mean that "s" and "t" are not compatible values for this expression, or that the difference between them is a decimal or fraction.