Can a Projection Be an Isomorphism If It Maps to a Proper Subset?

In summary, the conversation discusses the concepts of vector spaces, projections, and isomorphisms. It is stated that if the dimensions of two finite-dimensional vector spaces V and W are not equal, then there can be no bijective linear transformation from V to W. An isomorphism is defined as a bijective linear transformation from V to W. It is then asked to prove that a projection onto a proper subset of a vector space is not an isomorphism. The answer explains that this is because the dimensions of the two spaces are different, making the projection not one-to-one. The concept of rank-nullity is also mentioned to support this explanation.
Myr73
Pre-knowledge

If V and W are finite-dimensional vector spaces, and dim(V) does not equal dim(W) then there is no bijective linear transformation from V to W.

An isomorphism between V and W is a bijective linear transformation from V to W. That is, it is both an onto transformation and a one to one.1- Question
Let W be a proper subset of an vector space V, and let T be the projections onto W. Prove that T is not an isomorphism.

2- Answer

Since T is a projection onto W then, T(v)=w, therefore dim(V) > dim(W)

However since W is a proper subset of the vector space V, W is missing an element of V and therefore dim (w) is smaller then dim (V) and is not equal. Therefore it is not a one to one, and so is not an isomorphism.

This is my answer, however I am unsure if that is correct. It makes sense in my mind that a subset of a vector space is smaller then the vector space itself in dimension, however I am uncertain. Can you help me please?

Thank you,

Physics news on Phys.org
Hi,
only a few suggestions, in general a projection is from a vector space ##V## in a subspace (subset that is a vector space) ##W##, so as you said we have that ## dim(W) \leq dim(V) ##, in the ##=## case your projection is the identity and is bijective but if ## dim(W) < dim(V) ## the two dimensions are different so is not a bijection...
The second question is a conseguence of the first, in general projections are surjective and linerar operators so you can define ##T:V\rightarrow W## specifing where you send the basis of ##V## in ##W##, for example ##\{(x,y,0):x,y\in\mathbb{R}^{3}\}## is a subspace of dimension ##2## of ##\mathbb{R}^{3}## you can project from ##\mathbb{R}^{3}## sending ##e_{1}=(1,0,0)\mapsto (1,0,0),e_{2}=(0,1,0)\mapsto (0,1,0)\mapsto (0,1,0),e_{3}=(0,0,1)\mapsto (0,0,0)##.

I hope to clarify something but in general your answer was correct,
by
Simone

Likes Myr73
Ssnow said:
Hi,
only a few suggestions, in general a projection is from a vector space ##V## in a subspace (subset that is a vector space) ##W##, so as you said we have that ## dim(W) \leq dim(V) ##, in the ##=## case your projection is the identity and is bijective <Snip>

Sure, for one, an n-dim space does not have non-trivial n-dimensional subspaces.

Likes Ssnow
Myr73 said:
<Snip>

However since W is a proper subset of the vector space V, W is missing an element of V and therefore dim (w) is smaller then dim (V) and is not equal. Therefore it is not a one to one, and so is not an isomorphism.

This is my answer, however I am unsure if that is correct. It makes sense in my mind that a subset of a vector space is smaller then the vector space itself in dimension, however I am uncertain. Can you help me please?

Thank you,

Maybe Rank-nullity will work: Given two bases with n vectors , the nullity will be 0 , so the dimension of the image is the entire space.

Since you are given that W is a proper subset of V, it follows that there is some vector in V that is NOT in W and therefore T is not surjective.

HallsofIvy said:
Since you are given that W is a proper subset of V, it follows that there is some vector in V that is NOT in W and therefore T is not surjective.

This is what I had assumed, I just waanted to verify that this is correct. Thanks all

Related to Can a Projection Be an Isomorphism If It Maps to a Proper Subset?

What is linear algebra?

Linear algebra is a branch of mathematics that deals with the study of linear equations and their representations in vector spaces. It involves the use of matrices, determinants, and vector spaces to solve problems related to systems of linear equations.

What is an isomorphism in linear algebra?

An isomorphism in linear algebra refers to a bijective linear transformation between two vector spaces that preserves the linear structure and operations of the spaces. This means that the transformation preserves the addition and scalar multiplication properties of the vector spaces.

How is isomorphism different from homomorphism?

Both isomorphism and homomorphism refer to mappings between mathematical structures. However, isomorphism requires the mapping to be bijective, while homomorphism only requires the mapping to preserve the structure and operations of the structures.

What are some real-world applications of isomorphism in linear algebra?

Isomorphism has various applications in fields such as computer graphics, data compression, and cryptography. It is also used in scientific computing to solve systems of linear equations and analyze networks and graphs.

How is isomorphism related to linear independence?

Isomorphism is closely related to linear independence, as it helps determine whether two vector spaces are isomorphic by checking their linear independence. If two vector spaces have the same dimension and are linearly independent, they are isomorphic.