Can every subring of an algebraic extension be a field?

• MHB
  • Thread starter mathmari
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Field
In summary, the conversation discusses how to prove that every subring of an algebraic extension $E$ that contains $K$ is a field. The properties that make a ring a field, such as being commutative and having an identity element, naturally follow as $E$ is contained in a field. To prove that every subring of $E$ containing $K$ is a field, it must be shown that each element in the subring has an inverse. This can be done by considering the minimal polynomial of each element in $K$ and using the fact that $K$ is contained in the subring. The conversation also mentions a search for a ring that is both a field and an algebraic extension,
mathmari
Gold Member
MHB
Hey! :eek:

$K \leq E$ an algebraic extension. I am asked to show that each subring of $E$ that contains $K$ is a field.

I have done the following:

$K \leq E$ algebraic $\Rightarrow \forall a \in E, \exists f(x)\in K[x]:f(a)=0$

A subfield of $E$ that contains $K$ is $K[a], \forall a \in E$.

Since $a$ is algebraic over $K$,it stands that $K(a)=K[a]$.

Therefore, a subring of $E$ that contains $K$ is $K(a),\forall a\in E$, where $K(a)$ is a field since it is a ring and $1\in K(a)$ so $1=f(a)g^{-1}(a)\Rightarrow f^{-1}(a)=g^{-1}(a)\in K(a)$.

Is this correct??

Or is there something I could improve??

Physics news on Phys.org
You have only proved that there is a subring of $E$ containing $K$ which is a field, but that is not what the questions asks for. It wants you to prove that *every* subring of $E$ containing $K$ is a field.

First go through the fundamental definitions. What are the properties which makes a ring a field? Being commutative, having the identity element *and* having inverses. The first two properties follow naturally, as the ring is contained in a field.

Assume $\alpha \in R \subset E$. You have to prove that $\alpha^{-1} \in R$ too. You need to look at some of the rings to get a good idea of these : think, for example, about $\Bbb Q[\omega]$ where $\omega$ is one of the cube roots of unity. This, of course, is a field$(+)$ but ignore that harsh reality for a second. Can we find an expression for $\omega^{-1}$? Well note that the minimal polynomial is $\omega^2 + \omega + 1 = 0$ so, $\omega(\omega + 1) = -1$ which implies $\omega(-1-\omega) = 1$. Thus, by definition of an inverse, $-1-\omega$ is the inverse of $\omega$.

Can you do similar with your ring $R$? Maybe consider the minimal polynomial of $\alpha$ in $K$? What can you do with it? Remember that $K$ is contained in $R$ and is "spanned" by $K$, i.e., rings (fields) $K[\gamma_i]$ are all sitting inside $R$ for $\gamma_i \in R$. Use these.

$(+)$[CRANK]PS : I have been trying to find a ring which is also an algebraic extension of a field for years, and it's pretty sad that the search result is inconclusive as of now. Anyone who can help me with a good algorithm on GAP for doing this will get a share of 1000 dollars from the prize money[ENDCRANK]

Last edited:
mathbalarka said:
Can you do similar with your ring $R$? Maybe consider the minimal polynomial of $\alpha$ in $K$? What can you do with it? Remember that $K$ is contained in $R$ and is "spanned" by $K$, i.e., rings (fields) $K[\gamma_i]$ are all sitting inside $R$ for $\gamma_i \in R$. Use these.

Since $a$ is algebraic over $K$, it solves the minimal polynomial $Irr(a,K)=\gamma_0+\gamma_1x+\dots +\gamma_{n-1}x^{n-1}+\gamma_nx^n$.

$$\gamma_0+\gamma_1a+ \dots +\gamma_{n-1}a^{n-1}+\gamma_na^n=0$$

Since $Irr(a,K)$ is irreducible, it has to be $\gamma_0 \neq 0$, otherwise it could be written as $x \cdot q(x)$.

$$-(\gamma_1a+ \dots +\gamma_{n-1}a^{n-1}+\gamma_na^n)=\gamma_0 \\ \Rightarrow -\gamma_0^{-1}(\gamma_1a+ \dots +\gamma_{n-1}a^{n-1}+\gamma_na^n)=1 \\ \Rightarrow a \left ( -\gamma_0^{-1}(\gamma_1a+ \dots +\gamma_{n-1}a^{n-1}+\gamma_na^n)\right )=1$$

Therefore, $a^{-1}=-\gamma_0^{-1}(\gamma_1a+ \dots +\gamma_{n-1}a^{n-1}+\gamma_na^n) \in R$.

Is this correct??

Nope, you have made an algebra mistake on the 3rd line :

$$-(\gamma_1a+ \dots +\gamma_{n-1}a^{n-1}+\gamma_na^n)=\gamma_0 \\ \Rightarrow -\gamma_0^{-1}(\gamma_1a+ \dots +\gamma_{n-1}a^{n-1}+\gamma_na^n)=1 \\ \Rightarrow a \left ( -\gamma_0^{-1}\color{red}{(\gamma_1+ \dots +\gamma_{n-1}a^{n-2}+\gamma_na^{n-1})}\right )=1$$

Thus it follows that $a^{-1} = -\gamma_0^{-1} (\gamma_1 + \cdots + \gamma_n a^{n-1})$ but the right hand side is a polynomial in $a \in R$ with constant coefficients from $K \subset R$, thus in $R$. Hence, $a^{-1} \in R$.

mathbalarka said:
You have only proved that there is a subring of $E$ containing $K$ which is a field, but that is not what the questions asks for. It wants you to prove that *every* subring of $E$ containing $K$ is a field.

First go through the fundamental definitions. What are the properties which makes a ring a field? Being commutative, having the identity element *and* having inverses. The first two properties follow naturally, as the ring is contained in a field.

Assume $\alpha \in R \subset E$. You have to prove that $\alpha^{-1} \in R$ too. You need to look at some of the rings to get a good idea of these : think, for example, about $\Bbb Q[\omega]$ where $\omega$ is one of the cube roots of unity. This, of course, is a field$(+)$ but ignore that harsh reality for a second. Can we find an expression for $\omega^{-1}$? Well note that the minimal polynomial is $\omega^2 + \omega + 1 = 0$ so, $\omega(\omega + 1) = -1$ which implies $\omega(-1-\omega) = 1$. Thus, by definition of an inverse, $-1-\omega$ is the inverse of $\omega$.

$(+)$[CRANK]PS : I have been trying to find a ring which is also an algebraic extension of a field for years, and it's pretty sad that the search result is inconclusive as of now. Anyone who can help me with a good algorithm on GAP for doing this will get a share of 1000 dollars from the prize money[ENDCRANK]

Isn't $\text{End}_{\Bbb R}(\Bbb R^n)$ such a ring, by the Cayley-Hamiltion theorem? Or did you mean something else?

Ahhh this is a sneaky catch. I meant a ring which is a *finite* algebraic extension of a field ($K[x_1, x_2, \cdots, x_n] = K(x_1, x_2, \cdots, x_n)$ so there is none, which was the supposed to be the punch-line of the crank). Never studied Cayley-Hamilton, so that must be fun.

Thanks for the information!

mathbalarka said:
Nope, you have made an algebra mistake on the 3rd line :

$$-(\gamma_1a+ \dots +\gamma_{n-1}a^{n-1}+\gamma_na^n)=\gamma_0 \\ \Rightarrow -\gamma_0^{-1}(\gamma_1a+ \dots +\gamma_{n-1}a^{n-1}+\gamma_na^n)=1 \\ \Rightarrow a \left ( -\gamma_0^{-1}\color{red}{(\gamma_1+ \dots +\gamma_{n-1}a^{n-2}+\gamma_na^{n-1})}\right )=1$$

Thus it follows that $a^{-1} = -\gamma_0^{-1} (\gamma_1 + \cdots + \gamma_n a^{n-1})$ but the right hand side is a polynomial in $a \in R$ with constant coefficients from $K \subset R$, thus in $R$. Hence, $a^{-1} \in R$.

You`re right! Thank you for your answer! So, since R is a subring the only thing that we have to show is that each element of R has an inverse in R, right?? To do that we used the fact that each a is an algebraic element over K, since the extension is algebraic. What if the extension were not algebraic?? Would it still stand that each subring of E that contains K is a field??

mathmari said:
What if the extension were not algebraic?? Would it still stand that each subring of E that contains K is a field??

That's not nessesary. Pick up $E = \Bbb{Q}(X)$ and $K = \Bbb Q$ for some transcendental $X$ over $K$. $E/K$ thus is not algebraic. Let $R$ be the ring $\Bbb {Q}[X]$. This contains $K$, but is not a field : $R$ is the ring of rational polynomials, and $X \in R$. The inverse of $X$ in $E$ is $1/X$, which is not a polynomial, and thus not in $R$.

mathbalarka said:
That's not nessesary. Pick up $E = \Bbb{Q}(X)$ and $K = \Bbb Q$ for some transcendental $X$ over $K$. $E/K$ thus is not algebraic. Let $R$ be the ring $\Bbb {Q}[X]$. This contains $K$, but is not a field : $R$ is the ring of rational polynomials, and $X \in R$. The inverse of $X$ in $E$ is $1/X$, which is not a polynomial, and thus not in $R$.

I see... Thank you very much! (Sun)

Related to Can every subring of an algebraic extension be a field?

1. What is a field in scientific terms?

A field in scientific terms refers to a region in space that has a measurable value at every point. This value can be a physical quantity such as temperature, electric field, or gravitational potential.

2. How do you determine if something is a field?

To determine if something is a field, you need to check if it satisfies certain properties. These properties include closure, associativity, commutativity, identity, and inverse. If all of these properties are satisfied, then it is a field.

3. What are the applications of fields in science?

Fields have many applications in science, including in physics, mathematics, and engineering. They are used to describe and understand physical phenomena, such as the behavior of charged particles in an electric field or the flow of fluids in a magnetic field.

4. Can fields exist in non-physical systems?

Yes, fields can exist in non-physical systems, such as abstract mathematical structures. For example, in abstract algebra, a field is a set of elements with operations that satisfy the properties mentioned earlier.

5. How are fields related to other mathematical concepts?

Fields are closely related to other mathematical concepts, such as vectors, matrices, and groups. In fact, fields can be seen as a type of algebraic structure that is more general than groups and rings, but more specific than vector spaces and algebras.