Can GCD of m and n be forced to equal 1 for given equations and conditions?

• MHB
  • Thread starter Terry1
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Force
In summary, the conversation discusses two equations, m = x + y + 1 and n = x - y, where x > y > 0 and m and n must be of opposite parity and coprime. The expert suggests proving that the greatest common divisor of m and n is equal to the greatest common divisor of m+n and m-n, which is also equal to the greatest common divisor of 2x+1 and 2y+1. The expert also provides an example using x=10 and suggests choosing y=x-1 to satisfy the conditions. However, the person asking the question is looking for a way to determine all valid values of y for any given x without having to test the greatest common divisor.
Terry1
Hi,

I have 2 equations...

m = x + y + 1
n = x - y

where x > y > 0

I have 2 requirements of the above

m and n must be of opposite parity (which they are)
and I also require GCD(m, n) = 1, i.e. coprime.

Is there a way of selecting x and y so this condition is met?

For example, if I let x = 10 then m and n are coprime when y = {2, 5, 6, 8, 9} and not coprime when y = {1, 3, 4, 7}

Thanks for any help you can give.

Last edited:
Mathematics news on Phys.org
Condition. Observe that
$$
m + n = 2\,x + 1\,,\qquad m-n=2y+1\,.
$$
Under your hypothesis, I suggest you prove that
$$
\gcd(m,n)=\gcd(m+n,m-n) = \gcd(2x+1,2y+1)\,.
$$
Here the fact that $m+n$ and $m-n$ are odd (well, that at least one of them is odd) will be crucial.

Example. When $x=10$ you have $2x+1=21 = 3\cdot 7$, and so it follows that your conditions hold iff $2y+1$ is not a multiple of $3$ or $7$.

Finding a $y$ once $x$ is fixed. Now, fixed an $x$, how do you choose $y < x$ satisfying the above requirements? Well, try proving that $\gcd(2x-1,2x+1)=1$ and so picking $y = x-1$ is actually enough because $2y+1=2x-1$ in that case.

Hi PaulRS,

Thanks for your reply.

I did forget to mention that I am only dealing with integers, but I think that is clear from the post. Maybe I should have put it in the Number Theory sub-forum.

I'm not sure if you understood my question correctly as I'm not putting forward a hypothesis.
Anyway, I'll try to answer the points you have made...

As you have pointed out, m + n = 2x + 1 and m - n = 2y + 1, so I'm not sure I follow your

"Here the fact that m+n and m−n are odd (well, that at least one of them is odd) will be crucial."

since (m + n) and (m - n) are both patently odd."gcd(m, n) = gcd(m+n, m-n)= gcd(2x+1, 2y+1)"
Well the last two, gcd(m+n, m-n)= gcd(2x+1, 2y+1) have the same values in the brackets so the gcd is obviously the same.

gcd(m, n) = gcd(m+n, m-n)
let m = 3a and n = 3b where a and b are coprime, then gcd(m, n) = 3

m+n = 3(a+b) and m-n = 3(a-b) => gcd(m+n, m-n) = 3

Finding a y once x is fixed. Now, fixed an x, how do you choose y<x satisfying the above requirements? Well, try proving that gcd(2x−1,2x+1)=1 and so picking y=x−1 is actually enough because 2y+1=2x−1 in that case.

That is true but what I need are all valid values of y for any given x to satisfy gcd(m, n) = 1

The lines I am thinking along is if I can make a substitution for x and y such that x + y + 1 and x - y will always be coprime without having to test gcd.
Basically the same way that if you require p to be even and q to be odd you can
let p = 2s and q = 2t+1Thanks again

Terry said:
gcd(m, n) = gcd(m+n, m-n)
let m = 3a and n = 3b where a and b are coprime, then gcd(m, n) = 3

m+n = 3(a+b) and m-n = 3(a-b) => gcd(m+n, m-n) = 3

I do not know what you mean by that, in fact, you want $m$ and $n$ to be coprime, not be both multiples of $3$.

The proof is rather simple and I am going to spell it out completely so that you see the method to it, let $d$ be the greatest common multiple of $m$ and $n$. Then clearly $d$ divides $m+n$ and $m-n$ (simply factor the $d$ out from both!), thus $d\leq d^\prime$, the greastest common divisor of $m+n$ and $m-n$, since $d$ is a common divisor of these.

Similarly, $d^\prime$ divides both $(m+n)+(m-n)=2\,m$ and $(m+n)-(m-n)=2\,n$, but! since $m+n$ and $m-n$ are odd, then $d^\prime$ is odd, thus $d^\prime | (2\,m)$ means $d^\prime | m$ and similarly $d^\prime |n$. Thus $d^\prime$ is a common divisor of $m$ and $n$ and $d^\prime \leq d$, because $d$ was the greatest common divisor of $m$ and $n$.

What yo conclude from this is that $d = d^\prime$.

Terry said:
That is true but what I need are all valid values of y for any given x to satisfy gcd(m, n) = 1

The lines I am thinking along is if I can make a substitution for x and y such that x + y + 1 and x - y will always be coprime without having to test gcd.
Basically the same way that if you require p to be even and q to be odd you can
let p = 2s and q = 2t+1

Then you are in trouble, because, according to what I showed the condition for $y$ is $\gcd(2x+1,2y+1)=1$, and it is necessary as well as sufficient. Thus your substitution should naturally produce, not one, not two, but all of the odd integers coprime to $2x+1$ that are in the range $\{3,\ldots,2x-1\}$, and I do not think that is possible because the number (meaning 'quantity') of such integers is very irregular (at some point you will have to filter the results).

A little more technical note. If you pick an $x$ you have $$\text{number of solutions }y = \frac{\phi(2x+1)}{2} - 1\,,$$ where $\phi$ is the Euler totient function, since $n\mapsto 2x+1-n$ maps an odd number coprime to $2x+1$ into an even number coprme to $2x+1$ bijectively (and then you have to substract $1$ to take into account that $2\cdot 0 + 1$ is not a valid solution).

Conclusion. With this what I am telling you is that your "substitution for x and y" should naturally take into account the number of integers between $1$ and $2x+1$ that are coprime to $2x+1$ (that is, $\phi(2x+1)$) which I do not expect to happen for $\phi$ is such an irregular function.

I showed you a simple pair $y=x-1$ that always works. If want to have all of them, maybe you will require more assumptions on $x$ and $y$.

Last edited:

FAQ: Can GCD of m and n be forced to equal 1 for given equations and conditions?

1. What is GCD and why is it important in mathematics?

GCD, or greatest common divisor, is the largest number that divides evenly into two or more numbers. It is important in mathematics because it helps us simplify fractions, find common factors, and solve problems involving ratios and proportions.

2. Can I choose any two numbers and force GCD to be equal to 1?

No, not every pair of numbers can have a GCD of 1. For example, if both numbers are even, their GCD will always be at least 2. However, there are infinite pairs of numbers that do have a GCD of 1, such as 7 and 9 or 15 and 32.

3. Are there any specific methods or techniques to force GCD to be 1?

There are a few methods that can be used to force GCD to be 1. These include finding the prime factorization of the numbers and canceling out any common factors, using the Euclidean algorithm, and using the Extended Euclidean algorithm. However, not all numbers can have a GCD of 1, so it may not always be possible to force it.

4. Why would someone want to force GCD to be 1?

Forcing GCD to be 1 can be useful in certain mathematical calculations, such as simplifying fractions or solving certain equations. It can also be helpful in cryptography and computer science, as a way to ensure that two numbers are relatively prime.

5. Is it possible to force GCD to be 1 for more than two numbers?

Yes, it is possible to force GCD to be 1 for more than two numbers. This is known as the pairwise coprime property, where each pair of numbers in a set has a GCD of 1. However, as the number of numbers increases, it becomes more difficult to find a set that satisfies this property.