Can I be taught general and special Relativity on this forum

In summary: H00.However, the clock on the Earth showed...12H01.The time on the clock on the Earth has dilated by 1/ 299 000 000 of a second. This is a brief summary of a longer conversation. In summary, the conversation is about a thought experiment where someone moves the moon closer to the Earth so that it is visible from Earth and then delivers a clock to the moon. The moon's clock shows 12H00 while the clock on Earth shows 12H01. This is because the time on the moon has dilated by 1/ 299 000 000 of a second.
itfitmewelltoo said:
[The twin paradox] is a paradox, and understood error that the logic of Special Relativity runs up against.
No. It is an apparent paradox that arises from an incomplete understanding of relativity. There are others, e.g. the “barn and pole paradox”.

In my experience, in nine out of ten cases, the resolution lies in an understanding of the relativity of simultaneity.

Likes Dale, russ_watters and bhobba
Physics news on Phys.org
To put a fine point on your frame of mind:
P J Strydom said:
This does not have any evidence and the experiment is incredibly non-based on reality, or I am missing out on the one thing I missed out on my whole life.
Where did time run slower for the traveler?
I don't see it.
There actually is an incredible amount of evidence. Some of the simplest to understand is how the clocks of GPS satellites stay in sync. But you can even put two clocks on different shelves and see a difference in the rate of passage of time between them due to [general] relativity. You can't get much more reality-based than that!

You will need to stop approaching this from a frame of mind of believing it can't be true. It will make learning it more difficult.

Likes bhobba
In Post #29, you asked, "what is Relativity, and where do they get this idea that Time runs slower for a traveler? Is there no one that can tell me?". Any book on relativity will answer this, but here is how I would phrase it:

(1) People studied electricity and magnetism for a couple of centuries, culminating in the development of Maxwell's equations in about 1865.
(2) It was noticed that in order for Maxwell's equations to be valid for observers in a state of motion, time and space had to transform in a certain way, which we call the Lorentz Transformations.
(3) Einstein realized that these transformations applied not just to electromagnetic phenomena, but to all phenomena, and elucidated that the consequences included time dilation and length contraction. This was in about 1905.
(4) Since then, a huge number of experiments and observations of many different types have confirmed that this really is the way the universe behaves.

As Feynman said, "This is the way the universe is. If you don't like it, go someplace else!"

I can't resist adding another quote:

"The rotating armatures of every generator and every motor in this age of electricity are steadily proclaiming the truth of the relativity theory to all who have ears to hear,"

Leigh Page, 1941

Last edited:
Likes russ_watters
P J Strydom said:
I have been thinking about the theory of General and Special Relativity for most of my life. When I was 16 years old, I...

Let me try this qualitative explanation. If I can get this posting thing right, there is a diagram below. You may have to click the link. There are two frames of reference. Internally, each has exactly the same device, two mirrors with a pulse of light bouncing back and forth. Internally, each experience exactly the same laws of physics. In each, light travels at a speed c.

In the bottom frame, the pulse moves vertically. It takes some finite time t to make the round trip. It has traveled a distance 2d. The moving frame is shown with three positions as it moves. For an observer in the moving reference frame, everything is exactly as it is in the stationary frame. The moving observer does not experience anything unique. As far as she is concerned, the pulse is moving vertically between the two mirrors. The speed of light is exactly the same. It has traveled a distance 2d. And it took time t to travel that distance.

For the stationary observer watching the moving frame things a a bit different. On the left, the pulse leaves the bottom mirror. But, it moves further, at an angle, traveling till it hits the top mirror, then bouncing back to the lower mirror. The pulse has to move a distance of sqrt(dm^2+l'^2). The speed of light is still the speed of light, so for the stationary observer, the pulse has traveled further. It's not like the top mirror gets ahead of the bottom mirror and the light misses it. It does hit it after all, that's what the person in the moving frame sees. It has take more time to get there.

It should be apparent, without any further discussion, that the moving observers time must be slower by comparison made by the stationary observer. After all, the pulse has moved at the same fixed speed. What the moving observer has experienced as being some time t for the pulse to go from mirror to mirror, the stationary observer has experienced some longer time t'. Time has slowed down for the moving observer as seen by the stationary observer. Nothing else can be true. The speed of light is constant in all frames of reference. Something else must give. And what gives is the flow of time.
SR_1.jpg

upload_2018-2-1_16-18-23.png

Now, I apologize. I use to be able to do the math here. I'm afraid that it will take a bit of work to find the path. It isn't all that difficult. It's simply geometry. It has been some 20 years. (I was a bit more motivated then) It's a matter of finding two equations out of it. And what falls out of it are two equations that equate time and distance between the two frames, a transformation so to speak.

Attachments

• upload_2018-2-1_16-18-23.png
    upload_2018-2-1_16-18-23.png
    10.4 KB · Views: 397
  • SR_1.jpg
    SR_1.jpg
    7 KB · Views: 322
Moderator's note: I have moved this thread to the relativity forum since it has clearly become a discussion of relativity, not academic guidance.

P J Strydom said:
Thank you so much Sir.
And you are correct.
I need to get the mathematical side under my knee, and not just splashing around in this pool.
And believe me, I am doing it as quick as I can.
However, the references you supplied is welcomed and I am sure it will speed up my process.
Susskind is one heck of a good educator, and I watched a few of his lectures, but now that you recommended him, I will definitely take more time on his education.
I remember there are quite a number on his channel on you tube.

Thank you very much indeed.
Bill, you saw my thought experiment made by some MIT graduate on internet, and I think you might be able to see my predicament.
Look at the Twin Paradox as I placed it and please tell me what I am understanding wrong.

I see that Time remains a constant, but it is only the observation of light from 3 reference frames that seems to influence time.
In other words, all the explanations I saw from well established science descriptions is that they are telling me that because we observe, from the Earth (eg.), that a moving object flying away from us we see the light arriving slower at us because of the time light takes to get to Earth from the rocket.

Do you see where I am getting stuck?
Is the theory of Relativity simply a way to determine where a specific object is in space by measuring the arrival of its light in another time frame?

Because if this is what Relativity actually is, then Time dilation does not exist, and length contraction is simply a calculation on the observation of the same object's light leaving its front and rear and arriving at different times at my time frame. So, why all the fuss?

now you see my problem.
After all what I tried to learn, I still do not know what G&SR is, and no one can tell me?

So, what are all the great scientists doing with G&SR?

Still learning like you, but I would ask a question of you:

Do you understand Galileo’s principle of relativity? Look that up if you haven’t heard of it. Do not move forward until you completely understand that concept. 100%. Here is a link with a description.

http://www.physicscentral.com/explore/plus/galilean-relativity.cfm

Then, after that, consider what happens if an observer “at rest” and an observer moving with respect to the at rest observer happen to agree on the speed of a pulse of light. How can they both agree on the speed of that pulse of light if they are moving with respect to each other?If you understand Galileo’s principle of relativity, the notion of an observer at rest and an observer moving with respect to the first agreeing on the speed of anything should give you pause.

And then you can learn special relativity, which explains how both observations (the principle of relativity and the constancy of the speed of light) can be true.KEY POINT

If you get that far you shouldn’t still be having these questions, which means if you THINK you have gotten that far you really haven’t and you should start over.

Likes Bandersnatch, russ_watters, Dale and 1 other person
P J Strydom said:
Come on gentlemen, don't tell me to go and study the maths.
Niels Bohr once said that if you can't explain something to a toddler, it must not be simplified enough for yourself to understand. I soon came to realize that there is a certain extent to which this applies. One cannot explain general relativity with a simple thought experiment, why would all these members not explain one to you if there was one.

I don't know if you have heard about it, but there was a TV show by National Geographic called "Genius" about Einstein. They had a good episode which mostly explained special relativity. They conveniently skipped the explanations behind general relativity even though it was a significantly bigger part of Einstein's life. Go figure.

I am merely 14. My mathematical understanding stops at around 11th Grade Level. I have given up trying to fully understand the math behind modern physics, because I know I'm going about in the wrong order. I need to have more understanding of the subjects surrounding it before jumping into it. You must go in order, many members have not gone in order and refused to listen to the advice we are giving. Please do listen to us, go in order.

Likes Dale
Sorcerer said:
If you understand Galileo’s principle of relativity, the notion of an observer at rest and an observer moving with respect to the first agreeing on the speed of anything should give you pause.
Thank you for your reply.
I do know Galileo's principle of relativity very well.
And I am in total agreement with him too.

Now let's take your example to the next level.
1. When Galileo was at rest and he dropped the Ball, he and the fish saw it touching the exact same spot it would do thousands of times if repeated.
2. When the ship accelerated, the ball as well as Galileo gained momentum, and the mass of both moved with the ship.
3. This would mean that if the ball gets dropped it will still touch the same position.
4. and you are correct, the fish will see a triangle movement whereby one can deduct that the Ball actually dropped a few feet further from the original position.

Now we get back to the SR relation to the experiment when we speak about Light in this context.
1. Light travels at C1 irrespective of the speed a ship or rocket are moving at.
2. If a spaceship moves at half a C, it will never push light faster to one and a half C.
The light will still move only at C.
I will post my last picture later today so you can see what scientists are saying.

lekh2003 said:
Niels Bohr once said that if you can't explain something to a toddler, it must not be simplified enough for yourself to understand. I soon came to realize that there is a certain extent to which this applies. One cannot explain general relativity with a simple thought experiment, why would all these members not explain one to you if there was one.

I don't know if you have heard about it, but there was a TV show by National Geographic called "Genius" about Einstein. They had a good episode which mostly explained special relativity. They conveniently skipped the explanations behind general relativity even though it was a significantly bigger part of Einstein's life. Go figure.

I am merely 14. My mathematical understanding stops at around 11th Grade Level. I have given up trying to fully understand the math behind modern physics, because I know I'm going about in the wrong order. I need to have more understanding of the subjects surrounding it before jumping into it. You must go in order, many members have not gone in order and refused to listen to the advice we are giving. Please do listen to us, go in order.
And all I want is to tell me what does scientists measure with SR?
When I look at their examples, I find a lot of talk, and no answers.

have you ever thought that perhaps only Einstein knew what he was talking about, and everyone else simply pretend that they know and whenever we ask an explanation, they run to the mathematics.
Anyhow, I still want to know what this mysterious measurement of Special Relativity, Time dilation, Length contraction and mass increase is.

Simple, what are they measuring?

P J Strydom said:
When I look at their examples, I find a lot of talk, and no answers.

have you ever thought that perhaps only Einstein knew what he was talking about, and everyone else simply pretend that they know and whenever we ask an explanation, they run to the mathematics.
Anyhow, I still want to know what this mysterious measurement of Special Relativity, Time dilation, Length contraction and mass increase is.

They are measuring all the things you just listed. There is no conspiracy that no one knows special relativity except Einstein. It's just that this stuff is so complex that it requires prior knowledge otherwise it would taint your assumptions of the subjects.

phyzguy said:
In Post #29, you asked, "what is Relativity, and where do they get this idea that Time runs slower for a traveler? Is there no one that can tell me?". Any book on relativity will answer this, but here is how I would phrase it:

(1) People studied electricity and magnetism for a couple of centuries, culminating in the development of Maxwell's equations in about 1865.
(2) It was noticed that in order for Maxwell's equations to be valid for observers in a state of motion, time and space had to transform in a certain way, which we call the Lorentz Transformations.
(3) Einstein realized that these transformations applied not just to electromagnetic phenomena, but to all phenomena, and elucidated that the consequences included time dilation and length contraction. This was in about 1905.
(4) Since then, a huge number of experiments and observations of many different types have confirmed that this really is the way the universe behaves.

As Feynman said, "This is the way the universe is. If you don't like it, go someplace else!"

I can't resist adding another quote:

"The rotating armatures of every generator and every motor in this age of electricity are steadily proclaiming the truth of the relativity theory to all who have ears to hear,"

Leigh Page, 1941
And the experiments does not take into account that the further away matter from the source of gravity, the slower the Radio decay.
and I read everything about satellites and how Einsteins theories are keeping them on track too.
Yet, what it is keeping track of is not explained.
Do you think that an equation entered into the satellite's computers is working out exactly where the triangulation of 3 satellites pinpoints a true position on earth?
No, in this regard Galileo's relativity is 100% correct.
However, can you tell me what you measure with Einsteins theory?

lekh2003 said:
They are measuring all the things you just listed. There is no conspiracy that no one knows special relativity except Einstein. It's just that this stuff is so complex that it requires prior knowledge otherwise it would taint your assumptions of the subjects.
Realy?
So are you saying that what I calculated with Gallilean relativity is correct?
Or do you say what I calculated is incorrect.
If incorrect, show me where?
Was it the time on Earth, the space ship, or ProxC that I calculated incorrectly.
Why do I get the feeling no one can answer me?

P J Strydom said:
And the experiments does not take into account that the further away matter from the source of gravity, the slower the Radio decay.
and I read everything about satellites and how Einsteins theories are keeping them on track too.
Do you think that an equation entered into the satellite's computers is working out exactly where the triangulation of 3 satellites pinpoints a true position on earth?
Einstein's theory doesn't measure things like a ruler. It uses different equations with Einstein derived to make sure the satellites are running on the same time and are aware of their positions. When orbitting the Earth at high speeds, relativity comes into play. It's not really an equation, but an idea which has been represented mathematically like every other concept in physics.

PeterDonis said:
Moderator's note: I have moved this thread to the relativity forum since it has clearly become a discussion of relativity, not academic guidance.
I do thank you for the promotion sir.
Do you think our fellow Members realizes that I am playing Devils Advocate?
I want to see if they understand GR&SR, and will pest them for a while.:wink:

P J Strydom said:
Realy?
So are you saying that what I calculated with Gallilean relativity is correct?
Or do you say what I calculated is incorrect.
If incorrect, show me where?
Was it the time on Earth, the space ship, or ProxC that I calculated incorrectly.
You get the feeling you can't be answered because you have approached us with that kind of attitude. I can't help you with your problem, but I can help you understand that you need to learn more before approaching the problem.

Likes russ_watters
P J Strydom said:
Nuclear power plants and weapons cannot be explained without it. Particle accelerators such as CERN likewise (there's a nice video of Bertozzi demonstrating the relativistic energy/velocity relation that you can find on YouTube). For that matter, electromagnetism is a relativistic field theory, so radios and mobile phones. The GPS uses general relativity.

Likes russ_watters
lekh2003 said:
Einstein's theory doesn't measure things like a ruler. It uses different equations with Einstein derived to make sure the satellites are running on the same time and are aware of their positions. When orbitting the Earth at high speeds, relativity comes into play. It's not really an equation, but an idea which has been represented mathematically like every other concept in physics.
Now you are confusing me.
Do you say something traveling at 14 000 Km per hour in relation to the Earth needs Special relativity, and not Galilean relativity?
300 000 Km per second, 1 080 000 000 Km per Hour is the speed of light.
this versus 14 000 Km per second?
1.296% of SOL.
this over a measurable distance of 20 000 Km altitude.
Do you know what a negligible adjustment this makes on positioning.
So, now that you know how SR are used in GPS, please explain to me exactly where they are doing an adjustment?
Where between the Satellites and the Earth does Time dilute.

P J Strydom said:
Now you are confusing me.
Do you say something traveling at 14 000 Km per hour in relation to the Earth needs Special relativity, and not Galilean relativity?
300 000 Km per second, 1 080 000 000 Km per Hour is the speed of light.
this versus 14 000 Km per second?
1.296% of SOL.
this over a measurable distance of 20 000 Km altitude.
Do you know what a negligible adjustment this makes on positioning.
So, now that you know how SR are used in GPS, please explain to me exactly where they are doing an adjustment?
Where between the Satellites and the Earth does Time dilute.
You are now counter confusing me.

Ibix said:
Nuclear power plants and weapons cannot be explained without it. Particle accelerators such as CERN likewise (there's a nice video of Bertozzi demonstrating the relativistic energy/velocity relation that you can find on YouTube). For that matter, electromagnetism is a relativistic field theory, so radios and mobile phones. The GPS uses general relativity.
So, now you claim that GPS' uses general relativity, and not Special Relativity?

Institute of Physics said:
GPS satellites travel at approximately 8,700 mph (14,000 km/h) with respect to Earth. This means time runs 7,200 nanoseconds per day slower for a satellite relative to us on Earth as described by Special Relativity.
http://www.physics.org/article-questions.asp?id=77

Lets us continue with exactly what we can measure with SR and GR.
gentlemen, If you don't know, say so.
However, show me on scientists very own Thought Experiment where I am wrong.

P J Strydom said:
So, now you claim that GPS' uses general relativity, and not Special Relativity?

Both. Besides, SR is built in GR.

P J Strydom said:

Because you are unwilling to learn, and want to stay with your incorrect premises. At least that's what it looks like for me, an external observer. Especially when you write something like this:

P J Strydom said:
Come on gentlemen, don't tell me to go and study the maths.

because studying textbooks that uses maths is the only way to learn and understand physics.

Likes lekh2003
Ibix said:
Read the very next paragraph after the one you quoted.
Nice of you to investigate the sources I quote.
Do you know how many people would not even have bothered?

The article reads: "GPS satellites travel at approximately 8,700 mph (14,000 km/h) with respect to Earth. This means time runs 7,200 nanoseconds per day slower for a satellite relative to us on Earth as described by Special Relativity.

However, using General Relativity it is possible to calculate that time goes faster for a GPS satellite by 45,900 nanoseconds per day, due to the satellite being 19,000km above the Earth (therefore in weaker gravity). This means overall time runs 38,700 (45,900 – 7,200) nanoseconds faster per day for a GPS satellite relative to us stationary on Earth."

1. As Special relativity describes, time runs slower for the Satellite, than what Time runs on the earth.
2. But according to General Relativity, Time on the Satellite runs Faster.

We will come back to this statement.

P J Strydom said:
Nice of you to investigate the sources I quote.

Do you know how many people would not even have bothered?
The problem is that you didn’t bother to read the source you cited. You need to read carefully if you are going to understand.
P J Strydom said:
1. As Special relativity describes, time runs slower for the Satellite, than what Time runs on the earth.
2. But according to General Relativity, Time on the Satellite runs Faster.
That's not what it's saying. It's saying that you can decompose the time dilation into an effect due to speed relative to a hovering observer and an effect due to height. The effects are opposite. The effect due to speed can be handled using SR (or GR, giving the same result from more complicated maths). The effect due to height needs the full theory of GR to explain.
P J Strydom said:
We will come back to this statement.
No point. You just misunderstood what was written. Please note that, as has been pointed out several times, the sooner you accept that the problems are in your understanding of relativity, not in relativity, the sooner you will start to learn.

Relativity might not be a perfectly accurate model of reality, but it is not inconsistent with itself. Any logical problems you find are in your conception of relativity, not in relativity itself.

Likes Pencilvester, CalcNerd and jbriggs444
P J Strydom said:
Do you think our fellow Members realizes that I am playing Devil's Advocate?
No, because you are not playing Devil's Advocate, you are simply spouting over and over the same misunderstandings. A Devil's Advocate tries to use a valid argument, just one that is counter to the one being advocated against. Your arguments are not valid.
By proving over and over that you do not understand SR and GR? That's hardly a test of the members here, it simply a demonstration of your lack of understanding.

Likes russ_watters, CalcNerd and Ibix
P J Strydom said:
I want to see if they understand GR&SR, and will pest them for a while.
If you pretend to be a jerk, you are not pretending.

Likes jtbell, Dale, russ_watters and 2 others
jtbell said:
No. It is an apparent paradox that arises from an incomplete understanding of relativity. There are others, e.g. the “barn and pole paradox”.

In my experience, in nine out of ten cases, the resolution lies in an understanding of the relativity of simultaneity.
Well, if you're going to make statement like that, explain yourself.

P J Strydom said:

Really? Ever thought of doing a search for experimental evidence for SR?

I just did and up came good old Wikipedia:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tests_of_special_relativity

I will pick one at random:
Time dilation is confirmed in heavy ion storage rings, such as the TSR at the MPIK, by observation of the Doppler effect of lithium, and those experiments are valid in the electron, proton, and photon sector.

You have a direct answer to your direct question. I have also explained the why of both SR and GR, but at present your math is not up to understanding them. I have carefully considered your situation and gave a list of reading material so you can understand it. It is now in your court.

If you insist on this line now you have what you directly asked for, then if this thread is worthwhile continuing will be looked at by the mentors - and yes I am one. Consider this a friendly bit of advice on posting etiquette on this forum.

Thanks
Bill

Likes russ_watters
itfitmewelltoo said:
There are a thousand and one threads on the twin paradox in this forum. Have a look at some of them. It's clearly not an actual paradox in relativity or we wouldn't be able to resolve it.

It is a paradox in a lot of common misunderstandings of relativity, which is why it's often used as a teaching tool - to force you to confront a possible misunderstanding.

itfitmewelltoo said:

Explain what - his experience? In other words you want all the situations that led him to this view listed. That is simply unrealistic - as is very obvious.

This thread is very fast devolving into being valueless.

Please, all those involved can we ensure it gets back on track?

Thanks
Bill

P J Strydom said:

These things are easily looked up eg:
http://www.astronomy.ohio-state.edu/~pogge/Ast162/Unit5/gps.html

I am pretty sure I explained around here we do not spoon feed - you must do some work yourself.

Its simple to look up the things you are challenging us with.

Why you do that beats me.

Thanks
Bill

P J Strydom said:

Time dilation is the observation (measurement) of different rates of the passage of time and therefore different amounts of elapsed time between clocks.

Simply put; if you have a local repeater for a distant clock, it may not be synchronized with your clock.

P J Strydom said:
You really don't seem to be trying very hard and worse, are speculating rather than reading. GPS satellites really, literally do have clocks in them and they really, literally are set up pre-launch to run at different rates than earthbound clocks.

Likes bhobba
P J Strydom said:

I gave a link.

Here is what it said -
Each satellite carries with it an atomic clock that "ticks" with a nominal accuracy of 1 nanosecond (1 billionth of a second). A GPS receiver in an airplane determines its current position and course by comparing the time signals it receives from the currently visible GPS satellites (usually 6 to 12) and trilaterating on the known positions of each satellite. The precision achieved is remarkable: even a simple hand-held GPS receiver can determine your absolute position on the surface of the Earth to within 5 to 10 meters in only a few seconds. A GPS receiver in a car can give accurate readings of position, speed, and course in real-time!

Its utterly clear what is being measured - the time difference between atomic clocks on the satellites. It uses that to calculate its position - but the effects of both SR and GR must be taken into account.

I will speak plainly - if you insist doing this the tread will be shut down. You must think a bit and stop asking things that are utterly obvious.

You will have to think a LOT harder if you want to understand SR and GR, which is what your question asked - can I learn it from people here. You can, but you will need to do research yourself - we can guide you - but you must do it. Above all you must THINK - which so far you have not shown you really want to do. I am pretty sure you are much more intelligent than this. If you are merely trying to have fun at our expense then you will find it will not last long. You are dealing with people with a very low tolerance to that sort of thing.

Thanks
Bill

Last edited:
Likes russ_watters
P J Strydom said:
I do thank you for the promotion sir.
Wait, what? I thought you were here to learn - are you saying you understand it already and are just testing us? We don't do that kind of thing here, so if that is really the case we'll need to lock the thread.

Likes weirdoguy and bhobba
When I was in high school, way back in the 60's, I taught myself special relativity from Einstein's book The Meaning of Relativity. (The .epub version I found a few years ago was unreadable though because the equations were garbled. Get paper or .pdf.)