Can one derive the photon number / phase uncertainty relation

In summary, the photon number / phase uncertainty relation is a fundamental principle in quantum mechanics that describes the uncertainty in the number of photons and their phase. It can be derived using mathematical equations and is essential for understanding the behavior of light at the quantum level. It is also used in experiments to measure and manipulate the properties of light and applies to all systems involving photons. While there may be exceptions, the overall uncertainty relationship remains unchanged.
snoopies622
In an earlier thread of mine, another physics forums member was nice enough to point out that there is an uncertainty relation between photon number and wave phase for light.
https://www.physicsforums.com/threads/is-there-a-frequency-eigenstate-for-light.727141/
Now I am wondering, where does this uncertainty relation come from? Was it discovered experimentally or can it be derived from other quantum mechanics axioms?
I am guessing that the answer lies in analysis of the quantum harmonic oscillator, but I am not sure.

Physics news on Phys.org
Thanks, blue Leaf77!

Related to Can one derive the photon number / phase uncertainty relation

What is the photon number / phase uncertainty relation?

The photon number / phase uncertainty relation is a fundamental principle in quantum mechanics that describes the relationship between the uncertainty in the number of photons and the uncertainty in their phase.

Can one derive the photon number / phase uncertainty relation?

Yes, the photon number / phase uncertainty relation can be derived using mathematical equations and principles of quantum mechanics.

What is the significance of the photon number / phase uncertainty relation?

The photon number / phase uncertainty relation is significant because it helps us understand the behavior of light at the quantum level and is essential for many applications in fields such as quantum optics and quantum computing.

How is the photon number / phase uncertainty relation used in experiments?

The photon number / phase uncertainty relation is used in experiments to measure and manipulate the properties of light, such as its intensity and polarization. It also plays a crucial role in experiments involving the detection and measurement of individual photons.

Are there any exceptions to the photon number / phase uncertainty relation?

The photon number / phase uncertainty relation is a fundamental principle in quantum mechanics and applies to all systems involving photons. However, in some cases, it may be possible to reduce the uncertainty in one property by increasing the uncertainty in the other property, but the overall uncertainty relationship remains unchanged.