Can pressure differential close lateral window?

mantisshrimp23
I'm trying to think of the least creepy reason I found my small lateral bathroom window closed this morning. I live in a 2 bed/1 bath apartment on the ground level with my two dogs and no one else. I rarely have people over. My bathroom doesn't have a fan and I don't have the best memory, so I typically leave my small bathroom window open about two inches year-round. I do this even in our 110 degree heat when I have the AC set to 72 (please don't judge). Is there any possibility that some form of a pressure differential occurred to cause my lateral window to close on it's own? (I know this is a long shot, but I am a woman living alone so I'm trying to think of every possibility other than the most likely one of it being closed by another human).

Note: I do have a dog door to my small patio that I easily fit through. I have just upgraded my ring program so hopefully I can record from my living room camera (which you would have to pass by to get to the bathroom). I am very conscientious about locking my front door every morning when I go to the gym and work. And this is kicking me back into the habit of setting my alarm system.

Physics news on Phys.org
How big is this window?
Which way does it open? (what does 'lateral' mean?)
How much friction is there to close it?

Conceptually, it would be very difficult for a pressure differential inside the house to draw a window closed. A breeze or wind outside the house might plausibly do so.

You say you live at ground level. Is the window reachable from outside? Maybe some passerby just knocked it closed.

Likes russ_watters
Don't google "lateral window". Not only you will have no idea what OP means, but the results are kinda bloody.

(yes, I know, now everyone will try)

Borek said:
Don't google "lateral window". Not only you will have no idea what OP means, but the results are kinda bloody.

(yes, I know, now everyone will try)
And I hollered "Don't look Ethel!"
But it was too late. She'd already Googled...

(Boogity boogity)

Welcome, @mantisshrimp23 !

It is very unlikely that an occurrence of some form of a pressure differential in a small apartment can cause enough airflow coming in through the window as to close it.

Please, consider other causes, like gravity combined with age of window closing mechanism, strong vibrations or wind gusts from an exterior source, or a rubber ball colliding with and closing the thing.

DaveC426913 said:
Which way does it open? (what does 'lateral' mean?)
I'm guessing it's a window that slides horizontally rather than vertically.

mantisshrimp23 said:
I live in a 2 bed/1 bath apartment on the ground level with my two dogs and no one else.
Do the dogs ever get up and look out that window? Maybe one of them was pushing around with their nose and managed to close the window.

mantisshrimp23 said:
I typically leave my small bathroom window open about two inches year-round.
It's a good idea to cut a wooden dowel to the proper length to prevent the window from being opened any more than that 2".

mantisshrimp23 said:
Note: I do have a dog door to my small patio that I easily fit through.
Dog doors typically come with a metal cover plate that you can insert when you want to be sure the door stays closed. Do you have that attachment for your dog door?

Likes Lnewqban
vela said:
I'm guessing it's a window that slides horizontally rather than vertically.
Maybe. I'm guessing a window that is hinged on the left or right side.

But guesses are a sure path to tears and heartbreak.

I assume lateral window mean sliding open horizontally. That's very common. I have those in 3 of the houses I lived in. Never once I have that opened on me without me knowing it.

I don't want to get into physics, My advice for your safety is put a SLIDING WINDOW LOCK, which I put in all the windows that I plan to open for air. If you go on Amazon and type this in, you will see it.

It's dangerous for single woman living on ground floor to NOT lock the window. I even put iron bars and iron gates when possible.

Watch out the dog opening.

Back to mysteriousness, Depends on how old you are, Me and my wife are pass 70. Believe me, we starting to notice lights left on over night that we swear we turned off and double check!!!.🤣 🤣 🤣 🤣 🤣 🤣 🤣 🤣 🤣 🤣 🤣 🤣

Last edited: