Can We Make PCB Using Paper And Pencil?

Nabir14
TL;DR Summary
Since Pencil has Graphite which is conductive and Paper is non-conductive can we combine both of them to make a working PCB?
I had a question in my mind about PCBs.

Printed Circuit Board (PCB) is a non-conductive material with conductive lines printed or etched. Electronic components are mounted on the board and the traces connect the components together to form a working circuit or assembly.

Now a Pencil has Graphite which is conductive and Paper is non-conductive.
So can we make a working PCB using them?

Here Is An Example Image:
IMG_20240708_154031.jpg

Engineering news on Phys.org
Yes. It is a common science experiment for kids.

Likes berkeman and Nabir14
Frabjous said:
Yes. It is a common science experiment for kids.
What if it catches on fire?

If you don't use high voltages and high power sources you are probably more likely to cut your finger with the paper, than to start a fire.

Likes SammyS, berkeman and Nabir14
For any practical less theoretical purpose I would rather recommend those 'conductive pen' things.
For those, it's not entirely hopeless to connect actual components easily.

Likes Nabir14
Borek said:
If you don't use high voltages and high power sources you are probably more likely to cut your finger with the paper, than to start a fire.
Oh

Rive said:
For any practical less theoretical purpose I would rather recommend those 'conductive pen' things.
For those, it's not entirely hopeless to connect actual components easily.
Maybe I'll try to connect components

Nabir14 said:
Maybe I'll try to connect components
The resistance of a simple line drawn by pencil is expected to be somewhere in the range of 100kOhm/cm (depends on many things), so the line itself is a component.

It's just difficult to connect it to other components.

Likes Nabir14
Rive said:
The resistance of a simple line drawn by pencil is expected to be somewhere in the range of 100kOhm/cm (depends on many things), so the line itself is a component.

It's just difficult to connect it to other components.
Oh.

Nabir14 said:
Now a Pencil has Graphite which is conductive and Paper is non-conductive.
So can we make a working PCB using them?
That is a good question, and shows that you are thinking as you learn more about electronics.

Can you list some of the practical problems with such a pencil/paper circuit? What kind of things limit the usefulness of such an implementation (some of them have already been listed, but there are more and you can provide more detail)?

And which of those problems are partially solved by using the conductive ink approach to making a circuit? Which issues are still problems?

And finally, how do traditional PCBAs overcome those difficulties? It's good to think your original idea all the way through this process, so that it starts to become a habit in the future when you have more creative ideas and questions. :smile:

1720447885479.png

https://www.chemtronics.com/conductive-pen-tips-and-tricks-for-best-performance

Likes Nabir14 and Rive
berkeman said:
That is a good question, and shows that you are thinking as you learn more about electronics.

Can you list some of the practical problems with such a pencil/paper circuit? What kind of things limit the usefulness of such an implementation (some of them have already been listed, but there are more and you can provide more detail)?

And which of those problems are partially solved by using the conductive ink approach to making a circuit? Which issues are still problems?

And finally, how do traditional PCBAs overcome those difficulties? It's good to think your original idea all the way through this process, so that it starts to become a habit in the future when you have more creative ideas and questions. :smile:

View attachment 347979
https://www.chemtronics.com/conductive-pen-tips-and-tricks-for-best-performance
I love the conductive pen idea and I never knew it existed. I think a limitation to the paper and pencil circuit is that it can't handle high voltage so it will catch on fire if any high voltage is applied on it. It would be pretty fun to make very small yet working PCB projects using that method. Thanks for the link I will check it out.

Nabir14 said:
. It would be pretty fun to make very small yet working PCB projects using that method.
The catch-on-fire method? O....kay.

You might add to @berkeman 's list - how are PCBs like computer motherboards and expansion cards made today.

Likes Nabir14
Vanadium 50 said:
The catch-on-fire method? O....kay.

You might add to @berkeman 's list - how are PCBs like computer motherboards and expansion cards made today.
I'm really confused like won't it catch on fire if I apply high voltage to it since it's a paper?

Nabir14 said:
if I apply high voltage
At high enough voltage anything burns.
At least disintegrates.

But based on your question, you are supposed to limit the voltage you are playing experimenting below 12V or so, right?
At that voltage - well, I gave you a range of expected resistance so why not calculate the expected power?

Likes Nabir14 and Vanadium 50