Can you explain the following diagram

In summary, the pins on the 8086 are divided into bus groups, each with its own set of pins. The data bus is bidirectional and allows the chip to read in or out data. The address bus informs the outside circuitry which memory address is required for access. The control bus is unidirectional and is used to control various functions of the processor.
pairofstrings
200px-Wyprowadzenie_mikroprocesora_8086.jpg

405px-Intel_8086_block_scheme_svg.png

I am trying to figure how the pins of 8086 are connected to different elements in the circuit?
I don't understand how at this level the pins can be connected. can you explain?
Is the second diagram suppose to be the internal view of the first diagram?
The figure shows that there are 40 pin on that IC. How and where are all these pins used?

Engineering news on Phys.org
Not quite sure what your questions means but here is some information.

The pins in devices like microprocessors are divided into functional groups called busses.

In the 8086 there are 3 main busses, in addition to a few clock, power, ground and miscellaneous pins.

The Data Bus
The Address Bus
The Control Bus.

The data bus is bidirectional so that the chip can read in or out the data.
One of the lines or pins on the control bus determines which way the data flows.
There are again 16 lines (pins) on the data bus.

The address bus simply informs the outside circuitry which memory address is required for access so is basically unidirectional. It has 16 lines or pins, labelled AD0 through AD15.

Now the 'clever' part is that the same pins are used for both data and addresses, but not at the same time. This is unlike the predecessor chips, the 8080 and 8085.

The control bus is self explanatory.

Your second diagram shows the busses and the internal connections as 'wide' arrows between the registers which receive, hold and transmit the data and other functoinal parts of the processor.

More information can be found here.

http://www.scribd.com/doc/7089071/8086-User-Manual

pairofstrings said:
View attachment 35809

View attachment 35810

I am trying to figure how the pins of 8086 are connected to different elements in the circuit?
I don't understand how at this level the pins can be connected. can you explain?
Is the second diagram suppose to be the internal view of the first diagram?
The figure shows that there are 40 pin on that IC. How and where are all these pins used?

I used Google Images to get some good pin/block diagrams of 8086s:

http://www.google.com/search?tbm=is...block+diagram&gbv=2&aq=7&aqi=g10&aql=&oq=8086

This one in particular may be of help...

http://www.mans.eun.eg/faceng/english/computers/Cources/Dig%204/4-9.HT33.gif

[PLAIN]http://www.mans.eun.eg/faceng/english/computers/Cources/Dig%204/4-9.HT33.gif

Last edited by a moderator:

Related to Can you explain the following diagram

1. What is the purpose of the diagram?

The purpose of the diagram is to visually represent information or data in a clear and concise manner. It can help to explain complex concepts or relationships between different elements.

2. How is the diagram structured?

The diagram is typically structured with a title or main idea at the top, followed by different components or elements represented by shapes, symbols, or labels. Arrows or lines may also be used to show connections or relationships between the components.

3. What do the different colors or shapes in the diagram represent?

The colors and shapes used in the diagram are often used to differentiate between different categories or types of information. For example, different colors may represent different data sets, while different shapes may represent different types of elements or concepts.

4. How do I read the information presented in the diagram?

The information in the diagram can be read by starting at the top or main idea and following the flow or connections between the different components. The labels or symbols used in the diagram may also provide additional information or context.

5. How was the data or information for the diagram collected?

The data or information used in the diagram may come from a variety of sources such as research studies, surveys, experiments, or observations. It is important to note the source of the data to ensure its accuracy and reliability.