Car on banked curve with Friction

In summary, the problem involves a car with a mass of 1200 kg entering a turn with a radius of 20 m at a speed of 12 m/s. The turn is banked at an angle of 37° and there is friction present. Using the equations F=mac, ac=v^2/r, and fs=μN, the normal force on the car by the road can be calculated. To solve the problem, the X and Y-direction equations are multiplied by sine and cosine of the angle and then added together.
luckee

Homework Statement

A car of mass 1200 kg enters a turn of radius 20 m traveling at 12 m/s. The curve is banked at an angle of 37°. What is the normal force on the car by the road? (Assume that there is friction, and use g=10 m/s2.)

Homework Equations

F=mac
ac=v2/r
fs=[tex]\mu[/tex]sN

The Attempt at a Solution

I feel like this problem should be so easy, but for some reason I cannot come to the correct solution. There are 3 forces for this problem: mg, Normal and friction.

So far, what I got is this:

X-direction
mac=N sin [tex]\theta[/tex]+[tex]\mu[/tex]s N cos[tex]\theta[/tex]

Y-direction
0=N cos[tex]\theta[/tex]-[tex]\mu[/tex]s N sin[tex]\theta[/tex]-mg

Am I on the right path? and how do I solve this without given the mu s?

Physics news on Phys.org
mutiple the X-direction equation by [;\sin;][;\Theta;]
and the Y-direction equation by [;\cos;][;\Theta;]
then add them.

Yes, you are on the right track. To solve for the normal force, you can use the equation for centripetal acceleration, ac=v^2/r, and substitute it into the x-direction equation. This will give you:
mac=N sin \theta+\mus N cos\theta
m(v^2/r)=N sin \theta+\mus N cos\theta
N(mg cos \theta - mv^2/r)=\mus N cos\theta

Then, you can solve for N by dividing both sides by (mg cos \theta - mv^2/r) and using the given values for mass, velocity, and radius. This will give you the normal force exerted on the car by the road.

FAQ: Car on banked curve with Friction

1. What is a banked curve?

A banked curve is a type of curved path that is tilted, or banked, at an angle to the ground. This allows a car or other object to travel around the curve more safely and efficiently.

2. What is the role of friction in a car on a banked curve?

Friction is the force that acts between the tires of the car and the surface of the banked curve. It helps to keep the car from slipping or sliding off the curve, and also allows the car to maintain its speed and direction while going around the curve.

3. How does the angle of the banked curve affect the car's speed?

The steeper the angle of the banked curve, the higher the car's speed can be without slipping off the curve. This is because the steeper angle provides more friction to counteract the centrifugal force acting on the car.

4. What happens if there is too much friction on the banked curve?

If there is too much friction on the banked curve, the car may experience a loss of speed and may even slow down or come to a stop. This can be caused by factors such as a rough or uneven surface, or worn tires with less grip.

5. How does the weight of the car affect its performance on a banked curve?

The weight of the car plays a role in how well it can navigate a banked curve. A heavier car will have a harder time maintaining its speed and may require a wider or less steep banked curve compared to a lighter car. This is because the heavier car will experience more force from gravity pulling it down the curve, which can counteract the force of friction.

Back