Cardinality of an interval of rationals

In summary, f is a function which takes a rational number as input and returns a real number. When q is a positive rational number, f(q) returns the positive real number; when q is a negative rational number, f(q) returns the negative real number. When q is 0, f(q) returns 0.
kindlychung
For any two rational numbers q1<q2, card ((q1,q2) cap Q) = card Q, right?
How to prove it, if it's true?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Please define your terms. The cardinality of the set of all rationals between any two given numbers, whether rational or irrational is the same as the cardinality of the rationals, yes. The cardinality of interval (q1, q2) where q1 and q2 are rational numbers is the cardinality of R because that is an interval of real numbers.

I don't know what the "I" in "(q1, q2)-I". The set of integers? So that "(q1, q2)- I" is the set of all numbers that are NOT integers between q1 and q2? If so then the answer is as before: If (q1, q2)- I is the set of all non-integer rational numbers between q1 and q2, the cardinality of that set is the cardinality of Q. If (q1, q2)- I is the set of all non-integer real numbers between q1 and q2, the cardinality of that set is the cardinality of R, the set of all real numbers. That is because the set of integers between any two given rational numbers is finite and so does not affect the cardinality of any infinite set.

I have edited the original post. Please see.
((q1, q2) cap Q) is the set of all non-integer rational numbers between q1 and q2. By intuition I know it has the same cardinality as Q, yet I don't know how to build a 1-1 correspondence between it and Q, please help.

Okay, I think I got it.

Let m, n be any positive integers, any positive element q of Q can be written as [tex]m/n[/tex], and any negative element q of Q can be written as [tex]-m/n[/tex].

Let's define function f as follows:
[tex]f(q) = \frac{q_{1}+q_{2}}{2} + \frac{q_{2}-q_{1}}{2}\cdot\frac{m}{m+n} (q>0)[/tex]
[tex]f(q) = \frac{q_{1}+q_{2}}{2} - \frac{q_{2}-q_{1}}{2}\cdot\frac{m}{m+n} (q<0)[/tex]
[tex]f(q)=0 (q=0)[/tex]

FAQ: Cardinality of an interval of rationals

What is the definition of "Cardinality of an interval of rationals"?

The cardinality of an interval of rationals refers to the number of rational numbers present in the interval. It is determined by counting the number of distinct rational numbers within the interval.

How is the cardinality of an interval of rationals calculated?

The cardinality of an interval of rationals is calculated by counting the number of rational numbers within the interval. This can be done by listing out all the rational numbers in the interval or by using mathematical formulas.

What is the cardinality of an interval of rationals between two specific numbers?

The cardinality of an interval of rationals between two specific numbers is infinite. This is because there is an infinite number of rational numbers between any two given numbers.

Is the cardinality of an interval of rationals the same as the cardinality of the set of all rational numbers?

No, the cardinality of an interval of rationals is not the same as the cardinality of the set of all rational numbers. The set of all rational numbers has an infinite cardinality, while the cardinality of an interval of rationals is finite, depending on the size of the interval.

How does the cardinality of an interval of rationals compare to the cardinality of an interval of real numbers?

The cardinality of an interval of rationals is less than the cardinality of an interval of real numbers. This is because the set of real numbers includes both rational and irrational numbers, while the set of rationals only includes rational numbers.

Back