Catch Incredible Disasters on the Science Channel - Destroyed in Seconds

• Thread starter Evo
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Seconds
In summary: This is a show about amazing disasters, and there is one about a gas tanker explosion.In summary, this show is about incredible disasters, and the gas tanker explosion is one of them.
Evo
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
This is an incredible show, if you like watching incredible disasters. It's on right now on the Science Channel.

Try to catch it.

Physics news on Phys.org
Hmm, catchy title. At first I thought this thread was going to be about a pf user. Whew sign...

It is at the tabloid end of the discovery channel.
I have been told off for shouting at the TV set!

announcer> "his car/boat/etc crashed at 100mph and only the safety cage survived and by a miracle Mr Idiot was unhurt"
me> yes that's the point of the $%^&*% safety cage you idiot, it's called engineering!

Some idiot at a jet fuel plant throws a lit cigarette into a waste fuel deposit.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_KuGizBjDXo

MGB, that idiot in the boat...well, I'd have to ban myself if I said what needed to be done with that guy.

Last edited by a moderator:
This is why I don't work at a jet fuel plant...

waht said:
Hmm, catchy title. At first I thought this thread was going to be about a pf user. Whew sign...

:smile: :rofl i thought tthat too and was thinking evo needed to have her ban hammer taken away :P

I'm just glad this thread didn't involve the Ravine of Doom.

Is this like Darwin awards on video?

Evo said:
Some idiot at a jet fuel plant throws a lit cigarette into a waste fuel deposit.
That was Pepcon, and they made a component of rocket fuel, ammonium perchlorate, used for the shuttles, not jet fuel. They had been stock piling the stuff because the Challenger disaster shut down shuttle missions for a while. In addition, there was a 16 inch diameter high pressure natural gas line running through the middle of a plant making an explosive chemical. The large explosion is sometimes claimed to be due to the gas line rupturing, but the wiki article doesn't mention this. The initial fire was due to a welding accident. Wiki link:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/PEPCON_disaster

In the video made by Dennis Todd, who was part of a television crew on a mountain (with antennas) overlooking the site, you can see the approaching shock waves from the two large explosions, then hear the sound. Destroyed in seconds has various versions of that video along with interviews. There are numerous versions at youtube.

Last edited:
rcgldr said:
That was Pepcon, and they made a component of rocket fuel, ammonium perchlorate, used for the shuttles, not jet fuel. They had been stock piling the stuff because the Challenger disaster shut down shuttle missions for a while. In addition, there was a 16 inch diameter high pressure natural gas line running through the middle of a plant making an explosive chemical. The large explosion was due to the gas line. The initial fire was due to a welding accident. Wiki link:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/PEPCON_disaster

In the video made by Dennis Todd, who was working on an antenna on a mountain overlooking the side, you can see the approaching shock waves from the two large explosions, then hear the sound. Destroyed in seconds split up that video with interviews. There are numerous versions at youtube.
Thanks for the clarification. A horrendous accident with luckily only 2 lives lost.

Jerbearrrrrr said:
Is this like Darwin awards on video?
No, most of the videos show no loss of life, or very little.

There is a similar one about the San Bernardino train crash.
A train's brakes fail, there is a community next the railroad tracks at the bottom of the hill, and they don't know there is a gasoline pipeline running under the town and the valves don't work...

It's like a calvin and hobbes cartoon.

Did you see the fuel tanker explosion? OMG!

How exactly is this show related to Science?

Dickfore said:
It's not.

Dickfore said:

A combination of explosions, crashes, idiots, and conservation of momentum - what more is there to science?

Dickfore said:

It's posted on a science forum.

Darn, I can't find that gas tanker explosion, it was incredible, in the Phillipines, IIRC. A semi ran into a gas tanker truck.

This one maybe?

The firework explosion in Enschede The Netherlands 2000 was rather devastating too with many casualties.

No, it was a tanker truck on a road that was hit by another truck. It was an amazing explosion.

Evo said:
No, it was a tanker truck on a road that was hit by another truck. It was an amazing explosion.

there's quite a few on youtube when you type in gas tanker (explosion)

this could easily become 'its notagoshawk'

Last edited:
There is also the "seconds from disaster" series on NGC.

I was a volunteer fireman for a year. During our training, they made sure that we knew what a http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/BLEVE" was (Boiling liquid expanding vapor explosion).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xf3WKTwHpIU

Related to Catch Incredible Disasters on the Science Channel - Destroyed in Seconds

1. What is "Destroyed in Seconds" about?

"Destroyed in Seconds" is a television series on the Science Channel that showcases real-life footage of catastrophic events, such as explosions, natural disasters, and accidents, and explains the science behind them.

2. How is the show filmed?

The show uses a combination of amateur and professional footage captured from various sources, including security cameras, news broadcasts, and personal recordings. The footage is then analyzed and explained by experts in the field of science and engineering.

3. Is the show appropriate for all ages?

While the show may contain graphic images and descriptions of destruction, it is suitable for all ages as it focuses on the scientific aspects of the events rather than sensationalizing them. However, parental discretion is advised.

4. What can viewers learn from "Destroyed in Seconds"?

Viewers can gain a better understanding of the science behind disasters and how they occur. The show also highlights the importance of safety measures and precautions in preventing or minimizing the impact of these events.

5. Are the events shown on the show real?

Yes, all of the events featured on "Destroyed in Seconds" are real and have been thoroughly researched and verified by experts. The show aims to educate viewers on the potential dangers and consequences of these disasters.