Celestial objects - older than the CMB

• A
  • Thread starter Phantom-objects
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Cmb jwst
Phantom-objects
TL;DR Summary
We could learn a lot about early galaxy formation by studying the light of objects that originated before the CMB.
JWST is detecting objects that would have been emitting light BEFORE the CMB. If so, their light has already passed us for eons, and we are now accelerating into their ancient photon-stream in the opposite direction of the original object, revealing faint and blurry images like the 'ultra-faint dwarf galaxies', Dragonfly galaxies and others. Could these images provide incite into the early formation of galaxies?

Space news on Phys.org
Phantom-objects said:
TL;DR Summary: We could learn a lot about early galaxy formation by studying the light of objects that originated before the CMB.

JWST is detecting objects that would have been emitting light BEFORE the CMB. If so, their light has already passed us for eons, and we are now accelerating into their ancient photon-stream in the opposite direction of the original object, revealing faint and blurry images like the 'ultra-faint dwarf galaxies', Dragonfly galaxies and others. Could these images provide incite into the early formation of galaxies?
I read your post again just in case I do not have wrong end of the stick.
The JWST most distant images so far, are from objects emitting light from around 300 million years after the BB. It may go earlier, perhaps as early as 200 million years. It is only two years into its mission so has time.

The CMB is way earlier than this at about 380,000 years after the BB, way beyond what Webb can detect.
Also it is my understanding that the universe was effectively opaque before that time, photons were unable to travel across space.
There is no point in parroting wiki on here but I would have a quick look for an easier explanation.
For something more sophisticated the scientists on here will step in.
@Orodruin (I've not called on him for a bit)

Last edited:
Likes Klystron and PeterDonis
Phantom-objects said:
JWST is detecting objects that would have been emitting light BEFORE the CMB.
No it isn't. The rest of the question is therefore moot.

The more important question though is why do you think this is the case? Before the CMB was released, the universe was opaque to light and no light from earlier times will therefore reach us. Galaxies formed much much later.

Likes pinball1970, Hornbein, Jaime Rudas and 4 others
Thank you Orodruin for your knowledgeable input.

I posted my brief one-sentence question based on the following extrapolation.

About 18 months ago JWST detected 6 massive, mature galaxies only 500 - 700 million years after the BB. There must be many, many more less luminous galaxies in their vicinity. However, our own MW galaxy has required over 13 billion years to slowly grow through mergers to its present form.

I realize there could be mechanisms that formed these objects more quickly in the hot and dense environment of the earlier universe. However, it doesn’t seem reasonable that right out of the BB and Inflation, galaxies (some 50% more massive than our own) could form 20 times faster than the MW. It seems more reasonable to presume these luminous galaxies were forming stars many billions of years before the CMB.

If cosmologists decide to move the BB back in time, space would not be opaque 14 & 15 billion years ago, but have luminous stars present.

Therefore, as my initial premise states, if photons from these early stars began their journey from behind the CMB, they would have been passing our MW galaxy for eons and we would now be accelerating into their ancient photon-stream, observing these objects in the opposite direction from their point of emission in the early universe, and witnessing them grow younger with time.

Digital sky surveys, coupled with their computer programs, are exposing peculiar objects in deep space. I wondered if perhaps these fuzzy, dark matter dominant objects, like ultra-faint galaxies, Dragonfly galaxies, and even faint type 1ax supernovae may be phantom objects from that epoch. Images without substance in our present epoch.

Additionally, if a significant portion of the faint galaxies observed are actually phantom objects, we could conclude the universe is less dense, and therefore more ancient than presently recognized.

I leave it to you, but if you would like to illuminate (pun intended) flaws in my hypothesis, I’d love to hear anything you have to offer.

Happy pondering.

Phantom-objects said:
If cosmologists decide to move the BB back in time
Why would you think such a thing would happen?

Phantom-objects said:
However, our own MW galaxy has required over 13 billion years to slowly grow through mergers to its present form.
Why do you think this?

Phantom-objects said:
early stars...behind the CMB
This is impossible. When the CMB was emitted, the universe was not in a state where star formation was even possible yet.

Likes Vanadium 50 and pinball1970
Phantom-objects said:
It seems more reasonable to presume these luminous galaxies were forming stars many billions of years before the CMB.
No, this is completely unreasonable based on the state of the Universe before CMB release.

Phantom-objects said:
detected 6 massive, mature galaxies
You're sneaking in an assumption here that throws you off. The mature bit. After all - in your thinking - if our galaxy took billions of years to grow to its present size, then even larger galaxies must have been growing at least as long.
The detection says nothing about them being 'mature', and it does not follow that large implies old.
While galaxies do accumulate more mass with time, they don't all start off on a level playing field. How massive a proto-galaxy ends up being is a function of how much material was there in the local overdensity of primordial gas.
So it's not reasonable to assume anything about their evolutionary history just from their size.
Other constraints limit their age.

Phantom-objects said:
if photons from these early stars began their journey from behind the CMB,
The CMB is an image of the primordial gas distribution. It indicates extreme smoothness, with no significant clumping. There are no galaxies visible in that image, even before you get into how there can be no galaxies in it, given the state of the universe back then.

Phantom-objects said:
and we would now be accelerating into their ancient photon-stream, observing these objects in the opposite direction from their point of emission in the early universe, and witnessing them grow younger with time.
You can't have anything accelerate into a photon stream to catch up with it. If a light beam has passed you by, it has passed you forever. The accelerated expansion of the universe doesn't change anything, as the light is carried away by it, same as everything else.
You can't overtake light.

Likes PeterDonis
Back