Centre of Mass and translational motion

In summary, by using the equation Vcm= 1/mtotal X \sum m1\Deltar1/\Delta t and setting the origin at the car's centre of mass, the distance the flatcar has moved when a 85kg worker with a speed of 1.5 m/s walks from one end to the other in 14 seconds is equal to the distance between the initial and final positions of the centre of mass relative to the car, plus the displacement of the centre of mass relative to the track in 14 seconds. This results in a total distance of 93m.
ProjectileCow
1. A 280kg flatcar 21 m long is moving with a speed of 7.0 m/s along horizontal frictionless rails. A 85kg worker starts walking from one end of the car to the other in the direction of motion, with speed 1.5 m/s with respect to the car. In the time it takes for him to reach the other end, how far has the flatcar moved?

Homework Equations

VCM= 1/mtotal X [tex]\sum[/tex] m1[tex]\Delta[/tex]r1/[tex]\Delta[/tex] t

Where V= velocity t= time r= distance.
I set r=0 where the worker is at the start of the flatcar and the flatcar is also at 0

The Attempt at a Solution

So I have this I found t for the worker to be 56.667 using V= r/t

so then I have: VCM= 1/85+280 X [tex]\sum[/tex] 85 X[tex]\Delta[/tex]21 + 280 X r2/[tex]\Delta[/tex] t

Im trying to solve for r2, the distance that the flatcar travels but I don't know what VCM is. Is it equal to the speed of the flatcar?

Physics news on Phys.org
ProjectileCow said:

Homework Equations

[tex]V_{CM}= \frac{1}{m_{total}} \times \sum m_1\Delta r_1\Delta t[/tex]

Where V= velocity t= time r= distance.
I set r=0 where the worker is at the start of the flatcar and the flatcar is also at 0

The Attempt at a Solution

So I have this I found t for the worker to be 56.667 using V= r/t
How so? It takes him 14 seconds to walk to the other end. t = r/v = 21/1.5 = 14 seconds.

so then I have: VCM= 1/85+280 X [tex]\sum[/tex] 85 X[tex]\Delta[/tex]21 + 280 X r2/[tex]\Delta[/tex] t

Im trying to solve for r2, the distance that the flatcar travels but I don't know what VCM is. Is it equal to the speed of the flatcar?
The speed of the centre of mass is the speed of the rail car at the beginning. At the end, the speed of the rail car is the same as at the beginning. After the person has accelerated and is walking along the car and before he stops, the car is moving more slowly.

The easiest way to do this is to figure out how far the centre of mass has moved (that is constant throughout) in 14 seconds and then determine how far the centre of mass of the car/person has moved relative to the car.

AM

Assuming that the flatcar is not moving, can you calculate the distance by which it will move back if the man goes from one end to the other? If, yes, then add this negative distance to the positive distance the car travels in 56.667 s.

Alright so I found r2(r2= 123.45)
Then i plugged it into the RCM = [tex]\frac{1}{mtotal}[/tex] [tex]\sum[/tex][tex]mr[/tex]
r2= 123.45
(sorry for my formatting still getting the hang of it)
came out with the answer 98.1.

Im not getting the correct answer anything that I'm doing wrong?

ProjectileCow said:
Alright so I found r2(r2= 123.45)
Then i plugged it into the RCM = [tex]\frac{1}{mtotal}[/tex] [tex]\sum[/tex][tex]mr[/tex]
r2= 123.45
(sorry for my formatting still getting the hang of it)
came out with the answer 98.1.

Im not getting the correct answer anything that I'm doing wrong?

The total mass is 365 kg. The centre of mass of the car is in the middle. The centre of mass of the worker is where he is standing. Treat each as a point mass. Set the origin at the car's centre of mass. The worker is initially at +10.5 m. We are only concerned about one dimension here.

So the centre of mass of the car/worker is a point, p, somewhere between 0 and +10.5m such that 85(10.5-p) + 280(0-p) = 0. Work that out.

When the worker reaches the other end, the centre of mass of the car/worker is a point, p, somewhere between 0 and -10.5m such that 85(-10.5-p') + 280(0-p') = 0. Work that out. Careful with the signs because p' is negative.

What is the distance between p and p'? That is how much the centre of mass has moved relative to the car. Now turn it around: How much has the CAR moved relative to the CM? Call this displacement [itex]\vec d_{car-cm}[/itex]

Now let's look at the motion of the centre of mass relative to the track. Since the centre of mass is moving at 7 m/sec (and from conservation of momentum we know that this is constant throughout), the centre of mass has moved how far in 14 seconds? Call this displacement [itex]\vec d_{cm-t}[/itex]

Add those two displacements to determine how far the car has moved relative to the track.

AM

Last edited:
Did it slightly different from your method but you really helped me to understand the concepts. Both of you actually Thank you. :) My answer was 93m.

FAQ: Centre of Mass and translational motion

1. What is the definition of Centre of Mass?

The Centre of Mass is a point where the mass of an object is concentrated and the weight of the object can be considered to act. It is the theoretical point where the entire mass of an object can be assumed to be concentrated to accurately describe its translational motion.

2. How is Centre of Mass calculated?

The Centre of Mass can be calculated by taking the weighted average of the positions of all the individual particles that make up an object. This can be represented by the formula: CM = (m1r1 + m2r2 + m3r3 + ...)/ (m1 + m2 + m3 + ...), where m represents the mass of each particle and r represents its position vector.

3. What is the significance of Centre of Mass in translational motion?

The Centre of Mass plays a crucial role in understanding and describing the translational motion of an object. It is the point where all external forces can be assumed to act and is used to determine the net force acting on the object. Additionally, the motion of the Centre of Mass can be used to calculate the overall motion of an object.

4. Can the Centre of Mass be located outside the physical boundaries of an object?

Yes, the Centre of Mass can be located outside the physical boundaries of an object. This can occur when the mass distribution within the object is not uniform. In such cases, the Centre of Mass may be closer to the more massive parts of the object.

5. How does the Centre of Mass affect rotational motion?

The Centre of Mass is also important in understanding rotational motion. When an object rotates, the distance and distribution of its mass from the Centre of Mass determines its moment of inertia, which affects how easily the object can rotate. The location of the Centre of Mass also determines the axis of rotation for an object.