Charge distribution in a conducting sphere

In summary, at time t = 0 an idealized homogeneous conductor exists with a constant permitivity andconductivity. Maxwell's equations are used to find the electric field and current density. Obtaining the charge distribution at subsequent times is done using Gauss' law and Ohm's law. Gaussian diffusion is used to solve the problem for a range of time t large. The solution is apparent when taking into account the symmetry of the problem.
Plantis

Homework Statement

At time t = 0 a charge distribution [itex]\rho[/itex](r) exists within an idealized homogeneous conductor whose permitivity [itex]\epsilon[/itex] and conductivity [itex]\sigma[/itex] are constant. Obtain [itex]\rho[/itex](r,t) for subsequent times.

Homework Equations

Maxwell's equations = Gauss' Equation + Ohm's law in Differential form

The Attempt at a Solution

By using Gauss' law I can find how an electric field depend from radius. After it I can use Ohm's law to find current density throught the surface of a sphere of radius R. Then I can find quantity of charges that leave the sphere of radius R per unit time. See attachment.

q - the number of the charge coming out of the sphere of radius r.

Attachments

• IMG_8390.jpg
    IMG_8390.jpg
    28.2 KB · Views: 591
Physics news on Phys.org
I wonder if it would help to first solve a simpler problem, say one where the charge density was uniform, rho(r) = constant inside the sphere. You can almost picture the resulting current, it will be radial and can easily figure out rho(r,t) for t large, all the charge will lie on the surface? Good luck, challenging problem!

Spinnor said:
I wonder if it would help to first solve a simpler problem, say one where the charge density was uniform, rho(r) = constant inside the sphere. You can almost picture the resulting current, it will be radial and can easily figure out rho(r,t) for t large, all the charge will lie on the surface? Good luck, challenging problem!

So what? it is obviously. In case t large all charge will be on the surface. I understand that there will be radial current in proposed situation by you. I understand what happen inside the sphere. But, I can not solve the problem.I think that my solution is correct. However, It need to be checked.

Last edited:
Plantis said:
So what? it is obviously. In case t large all charge will be on the surface. I understand that there will be radial current in proposed situation by you. I understand what happen inside the sphere. But, I can not solve the problem.

Could you solve the easier problem?

Spinnor said:
Could you solve the easier problem?

I do not understand you.

Plantis said:
I do not understand you.

When you are stuck and getting nowhere I thought it was good practice to step back and solve an easier problem.

Anyway does the continuity equation help to solve your problem? You have not used it.

Good luck.

Plantis said:
1. The problem statement...

Why should there be a flux of electrons from the surface of the sphere?
Do you mean you are creating an arbitrary Gaussian surface within the sphere and figuring out the current density through that surface?

You can treat this as a diffusion problem with spherical symmetry and the classical assumption that the charge must reside on the surface after a very long time.
A trickier consideration is that the charge will not in fact reside completely on the surface, but will have a skin depth.
How does that affect your solution?

In any event, there is a key symmetry that will make the solution obvious... and also see if working the problem in time reversal helps.

Related to Charge distribution in a conducting sphere

1. What is charge distribution in a conducting sphere?

Charge distribution in a conducting sphere refers to the way that electric charge is spread out or distributed within the sphere. This distribution is important because it affects the electric field and potential both inside and outside of the sphere.

2. How is charge distributed in a conducting sphere?

The charges in a conducting sphere are distributed evenly on the surface of the sphere, with a higher concentration of charge at the edges and a lower concentration towards the center. This is due to the repulsion of like charges, which causes them to spread out as much as possible on the conductive surface.

3. How does the charge distribution affect the electric field?

The charge distribution in a conducting sphere creates an electric field that points radially outward from the center of the sphere. This field is strongest at the edges of the sphere and decreases in strength as you move towards the center.

4. Can the charge distribution be changed in a conducting sphere?

Yes, the charge distribution in a conducting sphere can be changed by adding or removing charges from the surface of the sphere. The charges will redistribute themselves to maintain an even distribution on the surface.

5. What is the significance of charge distribution in a conducting sphere?

The charge distribution in a conducting sphere is significant because it affects the electric potential both inside and outside of the sphere. It also plays a role in determining the capacitance of the sphere and its ability to store electric charge.