Chosing air blowers to force air through a solar heat storage array

Salah
hi guys:
i plan to make solar collector using rectangular hollow steel bar 4×8cm filled with gravel as heat storage and blow air through it and direct that air as preheated for gas combustion oven to reduce gas consumption .can i use a normal fan or it has to a blower?

Engineering news on Phys.org
Welcome, @Salah !

Do you know how much air will need to flow through one of the hollow steel bars?
How long each?
Vertical or horizontal?
What size stone?

I am assuming that you will have some of those in parallel.

Salah said:
i plan to make solar collector using rectangular hollow steel bar 4×8cm filled with gravel as heat storage and blow air through it and direct that air as preheated for gas combustion oven
Can you upload a dimensioned sketch of your proposed system? That would help a lot, thanks.

(Use "Attach files" to upload a PDF or JPEG image)

Related to Chosing air blowers to force air through a solar heat storage array

1. How do I determine the appropriate size of an air blower for my solar heat storage array?

To determine the appropriate size of an air blower, you need to calculate the required airflow rate, which is typically measured in cubic feet per minute (CFM). This depends on the volume of the storage array, the desired temperature rise, and the thermal efficiency of the system. You may also need to consider the pressure drop across the system and select a blower that can handle this while providing the necessary airflow.

2. What factors should I consider when selecting an air blower for a solar heat storage array?

When selecting an air blower, consider the following factors: airflow rate (CFM), static pressure requirements, energy efficiency, noise levels, durability, and compatibility with the operating environment (e.g., temperature, humidity). Additionally, ensure the blower can handle the specific pressure drop across your solar heat storage array.

3. How do I calculate the pressure drop in my solar heat storage array?

The pressure drop in a solar heat storage array can be calculated using fluid dynamics principles. Factors affecting pressure drop include the length and diameter of the ducts, the type and number of bends or fittings, and the characteristics of the storage medium. You can use the Darcy-Weisbach equation or consult manufacturer data and computational fluid dynamics (CFD) software for more precise calculations.

4. Are there specific types of air blowers that are better suited for solar heat storage arrays?

Yes, centrifugal blowers and axial fans are commonly used in solar heat storage arrays. Centrifugal blowers are generally preferred for applications requiring higher pressure and moderate airflow, while axial fans are suitable for applications needing higher airflow rates with lower pressure. The choice depends on the specific requirements of your system.

5. How can I improve the energy efficiency of my air blower system in a solar heat storage array?

To improve energy efficiency, choose a blower with a high-efficiency motor and variable speed control to match the airflow rate with the demand. Properly size the ductwork to minimize pressure drops, and regularly maintain the system to ensure optimal performance. Additionally, consider using a heat recovery system to capture and reuse waste heat, further enhancing overall efficiency.